Author Topic: Should the upside down ladder trick on the pie factory count?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Should the upside down ladder trick on the pie factory count?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 07:26:41 am »
This glitch relies on an interaction between the broken ladder glitch (the bottom half of the retractable ladders on pies is a broken ladder) and the retractable ladder (top half of the retractable ladders).

I still haven't pieced together exactly what the mechanism is but it seems to have something to do with using the broken ladder glitch to shift Jumpman's position, probably while the retractable ladder also shifts Jumpman's position, which then interferes with Jumpman's ladder dismount code (which relies on Jumpman's ladder climb animation cycles lining up with the tops and bottoms of ladders).  If Jumpman's Y position and climb cycle don't align with the Y positions of the ends of the ladders it misses detecting when he has reached the end of a ladder and doesn't dismount.

It doesn't seem like this glitch would work without the retractable ladder, so it'll only work on Pies.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline andrewg

• Awards
Re: Should the upside down ladder trick on the pie factory count?
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 07:34:38 am »
The glitch is super similar to the NES DK glitch in 1-1:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380176210?t=03s

I always wondered whether something like this could be done on arcade... and I guess so on the pies. But I wouldn't be too surprised if there really is a way to pass the KS.
There's a Kill Screen Coming Up!
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer