Author Topic: Help - DK blue screen  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Lucky1

• Awards
Help - DK blue screen
« on: December 25, 2018, 08:45:14 am »
Dear Jumpmen, 

First time I post on this forum. Just bought a non-working Donkey Kong. When I turn it on, the monitor shows a blue screen, like if there was no signal. (see image)

What I've done so far:

a) Checked the power supply: missing +5, +12 and +24
b) Changed IC3 (LM7812) and IC4 (LM7824) on power supply
c) Rechecked Power supply voltages = All's good now

9P connector:
1brown gnd
2red gnd
3orange gnd
4yellow +12v
5green +12v
6blue +5v
7purple +5v
8gray -5v
9white +24v

10P connector:
1brown -5v
2red -5v
3orange -5v
4yellow -5v
5green gnd
6blue gnd
7purple gnd
8gray gnd
9white +5v
10black +5v

d) checked the voltage on the PCB at the unused edge connector = +5 and + 12 ok

e) Unplugged and plugged the connectors and the inter board connectors

f) Pushed on all roms and processor

g) checked the sync/rgb cable

I did not reseat the ICs because most of them have rusty legs and they will break if I attempt to do this.

If the board has power, shouldn't there be at least something showing up on screen?

Thanks

Member for 5 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Help - DK blue screen
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 08:57:47 am »
Holy cow!  Donkey Kong is the originator of the Blue Screen of Death!  <gasp> <gasp> <gasp> <gasp>
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Lucky1

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 12:17:58 pm »
Looks like a monitor Issues, neck board probably. Missing red and green.
Member for 5 Years

Online Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 03:37:50 pm »
Even if the CPU is not running and/or there are no/bad program ROMs, you should see something on the screen - random characters like this:

Also when you power it up, it should make a sound like the jump sound - also even if the CPU isn't running.

To check if the CPU is running even with no image, try inserting a coin and pressing start to check if it plays the sounds of gameplay.

Looks like monitor issues but it could be other issues in addition to that.   The monitor probably needs a cap job if it looks like it's not filling the viewing area uniformly and/or the beam is out of focus.

There are adjustments in the back of the monitor.  You might be able to adjust the red/green/blue levels and see if there's some sort of image.  Also on the monitor's flyback (big plastic thing with two plastic screw/adjustments) there are two adjustments for 'focus' and 'intensity?'... that might help focus the beam and turn down the blue.  But if the capacitors are bad it's probably not able to be compensated for - and there are high voltages there.. and if the flyback transformer is going it might also start making buzzing noises and emitting blue sparks.   It can be replaced if that happens, but seeing little lightning bolts coming off of it might be a little intimidating, also very zappy.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:48:14 pm by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:03:47 am »
This stands out to me, as being your biggest potential issue.

"I did not reseat the ICs because most of them have rusty legs and they will break if I attempt to do this."

There's probably socketed chips that are not making good contact, but as SM mentioned, that's possibly not your only issue.  Nintendo screens will display all white if the cab and the monitor have power but no game video.  You likely have an improperly-white-balanced screen, which is why it appears blue.  But, the monitor is at least powering on..
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VeryApe121

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 08:47:19 pm »
Listen to this guy.

Even if the CPU is not running and/or there are no/bad program ROMs, you should see something on the screen - random characters like this:

Also when you power it up, it should make a sound like the jump sound - also even if the CPU isn't running.

To check if the CPU is running even with no image, try inserting a coin and pressing start to check if it plays the sounds of gameplay.

Looks like monitor issues but it could be other issues in addition to that.   The monitor probably needs a cap job if it looks like it's not filling the viewing area uniformly and/or the beam is out of focus.

There are adjustments in the back of the monitor.  You might be able to adjust the red/green/blue levels and see if there's some sort of image.  Also on the monitor's flyback (big plastic thing with two plastic screw/adjustments) there are two adjustments for 'focus' and 'intensity?'... that might help focus the beam and turn down the blue.  But if the capacitors are bad it's probably not able to be compensated for - and there are high voltages there.. and if the flyback transformer is going it might also start making buzzing noises and emitting blue sparks.   It can be replaced if that happens, but seeing little lightning bolts coming off of it might be a little intimidating, also very zappy.
"GET SLAMMED NERD" - Ape Jr
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer