Author Topic: Repairs/troubleshooting  (Read 16804 times)

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
Repairs/troubleshooting
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:39:26 pm »
Maybe there could be an arcade/donkey kong repair/troubleshooting section?  ~CRaigers
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Re: Repairs/troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:07 pm »
I think you'd probably have better luck with that kind of stuff at KLOV.

Most of us here are players, not techs!

Having said that, I (by necessity) put some time into learning/understanding the tech. I'm decent at it, maybe others are too.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:41:18 am »
I do quite a bit of arcade game repair myself. I tend to agree that KLOV is probably your best bet for repair advice. It will be seen by a much larger group of people that are more likely to be able to help you.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with technical issue posts in the General Discussion. Perhaps if we collect enough good information, we could organize them into a "Technical Reference" sticky or subforum in the future.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »
Here are two of the most helpful 'quick' resources for troubleshooting some common rom and monitor problems:

For monitor/picture issues:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=111041

For likely bad roms issues:
http://www.brasington.org/arcade/tech/dk/
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »
I actually dislike asking tech questions on the forum but I'm perplexed and I need my DK fix.

I do quite a bit of arcade game repair myself. I tend to agree that KLOV is probably your best bet for repair advice. It will be seen by a much larger group of people that are more likely to be able to help you.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with technical issue posts in the General Discussion. Perhaps if we collect enough good information, we could organize them into a "Technical Reference" sticky or subforum in the future.

I think Craig's sentiments are shared by many others. Though KLOV is a good place for arcade repair, it wouldn't hurt to have a small section for this over at a dedicated DK forum. Also, it's just more convenient than having new people jump head first and having to sign up over at KLOV (not to mention that, at KLOV, if you are new and happen to ask a noobish question you run the risk of being laughed at and trolled).

Is there any chance I (or anyone else that wants to help) could collect some links and put together a sticky thread for tech issues like you proposed, Jeff. Are you/we still ok with this sort of idea?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:32:15 pm »
It's mostly that the number of issues with classic hardware is so numerous that any guide here would be sorely incomplete compared to the knowledge elsewhere. I don't have any problems fielding repair questions from people if they need help.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 10:52:25 pm »
My thought is, if we're gonna have a slow trickle of repair questions trickling into DKF anyway, we might as well save people the time and post a sticky or sub-forum to collect all the ones we do have. That way, at least people don't end up asking the same questions as frequently. Obviously, the shoutbox can suffice for most tech/repair exchanges, though.