Author Topic: DK Spooky Remix Halloween Tournament 2018  (Read 66048 times)

Offline Kewydee_17

• Twitch
    • Awards
Re: DK Spooky Remix Halloween Tournament 2018
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 02:48:38 am »
Hehe Barra, I'm not being stubborn sir.
I'm trying to make life as simple as possible for the least tech-savvy among us.

Imagine explaining point 3 to someone with no idea about windows. You'll get blank stares.
If it was made as easy as installing an app on a phone, wouldn't that be a good idea?

I'm not going to get into a back n forth on this. I had hoped it was a good idea, maybe we should get KT on the case  <thefinger> ;D
DK Hi-Score 84,000

Mr Do! Hi-Score 2.030.050 Scene 141
Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 09:03:39 am »
Quote from: Kewy

But, this proves my point. If it takes 11 steps to get Spooky remix running, that's way too much faff.

Command line in 2018, really? That's a big nope.

At the risk of repeating myself, or rather, repeating Jry:

Quote from: Jry

If you're not comfortable with the command line, you'll need to download MisfitMAME 0.128 and rename the romset from dkongx11.zip to d2k11.zip.

:)
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 09:22:28 am »
Half of those 11 steps are redundant. I can download the rom and get it working in under a minute

1) Download MAME, unzip somewhere on your PC in a folder called MAME
2) Download the appropriate ROM. Put in the folder MAME/roms
3) Open command line and navigate to wherever you downloaded MAME using "cd", "cd.." and "dir"
4) Record/play/whatever using appropriate commands.

Done. Even 2 of these steps aren't needed if you already have MAME and already have the command line to open to the MAME directory.

It's easy. Don't be stubborn

I tried to over-explain it for those who may not be comfortable even with things that may seem simple to others, basically from a standpoint of: if this was my first time trying to get this working.  All too often, in step-by-step guides, seemingly easy/unimportant steps are left out, causing more confusion than if the reader simply tried to figure it out on their own.  I'm sure I still managed to do that, but again took a shot at outlining every detail that would need to be considered, for those who have never dealt with wolfmame or command line.

But, in the end, folks are either determined to play or determined to not play.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2018, 09:25:47 am »
I tried to over-explain it for those who may not be comfortable even with things that may seem simple to others, basically from a standpoint of: if this was my first time trying to get this working.  All too often, in step-by-step guides, seemingly easy/unimportant steps are left out, causing more confusion than if the reader simply tried to figure it out on their own.  I'm sure I still managed to do that, but again took a shot at outlining every detail that would need to be considered, for those who have never dealt with wolfmame or command line.

But, in the end, folks are either determined to play or determined to not play.

I completely understand and have done this before too, but neither seems to work for some people.  <Allen>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Kewydee_17

• Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2018, 02:24:04 pm »
I think I may not have be putting my idea clearly.

I'll have another go.

Socks creations are marvellous, and I appreciate that some level of pc skill is involved in running the remixes.
I can cmd if I want, been a while but I could.

Maybe its really a wish. I wish there was a simple, easy to install Kong dedicated MAME. A one-stop shop for all the kongs, and all the remixes that Sock chooses to release. And whatever brilliance Sock has yet to dazzle us with.

Thats what I was hoping for. And yes, you could just load only Kong roms into MAME. I just thought a Dedicated Kong MAME would be nice.
Although is's also probably a huge copyright violation.

Easy to load, like an app and full of all the kong there is.

DK Hi-Score 84,000

Mr Do! Hi-Score 2.030.050 Scene 141
Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 05:03:09 pm »
Ok what might be causing issues for some folks is you still need to have the dkong.zip rom files. JUST using this file alone does not work. Perhaps including the missing files that are needed in dkong.zip and putting them in this zip would be a good idea?

That might be why people are having issues. Anyway all as posted you NEED to get the dkong.zip (Donkey Kong) file as WELL as this one. You need BOTH! :D

Dan
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:07:33 pm by danman123456 »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Flobeamer1922

• Elite Member
    • My YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 09:23:17 pm »
That's an issue I was having myself until just last year, Dan. You can't run clone ROM sets unless you have the parent ROM set; in this case, the parent is dkong, and the clone is dkongx11.
PBs:
Donkey Kong - 1,032,100 (22-1)
Donkey Kong Junior - 79,400 (4-2)
Donkey Kong 3 - 344,200 (Stage 22)
Crazy Kong Part II - 645,400 (22-4)

I occasionally stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/flobeamer1922
Member for 6 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2018, 10:33:34 pm »
fyi, I won't be able to verify any tourney scores from Friday morning to Monday evening...but don't stop submitting!
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sokratz

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2018, 08:22:35 am »
Maybe its really a wish. I wish there was a simple, easy to install Kong dedicated MAME. A one-stop shop for all the kongs, and all the remixes that Sock chooses to release. And whatever brilliance Sock has yet to dazzle us with.

Thats what I was hoping for. And yes, you could just load only Kong roms into MAME. I just thought a Dedicated Kong MAME would be nice.

This is essentially what I'm doing.  I'm running Retropie on a Raspberry Pi 3 in a cabinet.  Retropie has an "Arcade" mode that allows you to run different emulators for the roms in the roms directory - eg, I can have dkongpe.zip (Pauline Edition) running under lr-mame2016 and have dkong.zip (Donkey Kong) running under advmame-1.4.  The only requirement is that each rom name has to be unique because they're all in the same directory.  This why I was asking my question about file names earlier.  I can't find an emulator that will run Spooky Remix under any other name except dkongx11.zip. (note: the emulator has to run under Retropie, not Windows for my setup).

Here's the games I have running so far and the emulator I'm using for them.  All on one cabinet.

dkong.zip         Donkey Kong (US Set 1)                   advmame-1.4
dkong3.zip       Donkey Kong 3 (US)                         advmame-1.4
dkongx11.zip    Donkey Kong Christmas Remix           lr-mame2016
dkongf.zip         Donkey Kong Foundry (Hack)             lr-mame2016
dkongx.zip        Donkey Kong II - Jumpman Returns    lr-mame2016
dkongjr.zip        Donkey Kong Junior (US)                   advmame-1.4
dkongpe.zip      Donkey Kong Pauline Edition              lr-mame2016

dkongx11.zip    Donkey Kong Spooky Remix              lr-mame2016   This is the problem.  It will run under lr-mame2016 easy enough but I can't do it because the filename is the same as Christmas Remix.

Hope that makes sense...

Sokratz
Member for 6 Years

Offline treborlicec

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 11:54:36 am »

This is essentially what I'm doing.  I'm running Retropie on a Raspberry Pi 3 in a cabinet.  Retropie has an "Arcade" mode that allows you to run different emulators for the roms in the roms directory - eg, I can have dkongpe.zip (Pauline Edition) running under lr-mame2016 and have dkong.zip (Donkey Kong) running under advmame-1.4.  The only requirement is that each rom name has to be unique because they're all in the same directory.  This why I was asking my question about file names earlier.  I can't find an emulator that will run Spooky Remix under any other name except dkongx11.zip. (note: the emulator has to run under Retropie, not Windows for my setup).

Here's the games I have running so far and the emulator I'm using for them.  All on one cabinet.

dkong.zip         Donkey Kong (US Set 1)                   advmame-1.4
dkong3.zip       Donkey Kong 3 (US)                         advmame-1.4
dkongx11.zip    Donkey Kong Christmas Remix           lr-mame2016
dkongf.zip         Donkey Kong Foundry (Hack)             lr-mame2016
dkongx.zip        Donkey Kong II - Jumpman Returns    lr-mame2016
dkongjr.zip        Donkey Kong Junior (US)                   advmame-1.4
dkongpe.zip      Donkey Kong Pauline Edition              lr-mame2016

dkongx11.zip    Donkey Kong Spooky Remix              lr-mame2016   This is the problem.  It will run under lr-mame2016 easy enough but I can't do it because the filename is the same as Christmas Remix.

Hope that makes sense...

Sokratz

I don't pretend to be any kind of mame or pi expert, but I was able to get spooky to run using the instructions in the very beginning of the thread:

The romset will be available soon. It replaces dkongx11.zip (D2K version 1.1) and should be run from the command line. You will need both the tournament romset and regular DK romset. MAME will give you a checksum error at the command line, but the game is stil playable. If you're not comfortable with the command line, you'll need to download MisfitMAME 0.128 and rename the romset from dkongx11.zip to d2k11.zip.

Perhaps you could add misfit mame to your pi and use those instructions to get it to run alongside the Christmas Remix.

-RC
Member for 7 Years

Offline Robert

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2018, 06:27:02 am »
As the developer of both MisfitMAME and HBMAME, I thought I'd let you know the game has been added as "dkspkyrmx" in the next version of HBMAME, due for release on October 31st. Hopefully Sock Master won't mind.

I also looked around for older tournament romsets to add, but seems they've been removed, or not generally available.
Member for 5 Years

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 03:54:20 am »
20 hours left! Get your scores in!
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 12:01:58 am »
The tournament is officially over! Players have 4 hours to submit their final scores and then I'll post the final standings.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 04:17:37 am »
And that's a wrap! The DK Spooky Remix Halloween Tournament is over and the scores have been tallied!

Congratulations to our overall winner, J.P., who WFLI'd his way to an insane score of 1,443,800...the highest score on any version/type of DK Remix! When Ben Falls comes to play, it's a guarantee we'll see him near the top, and he finished 2nd with a score of 1,158,500. Mat McGill continues to slay the Kongs and came in 3rd with 1,111,100. ChrisP finished among the top players in the Christmas Remix tournament and proves that wasn't a fluke by finishing 4th with 987,100. The top four players all reached Level 22! The winners will get some sweet prizes, along with Daniel Larsen who won the bounty for highest score on a Bonus stage at 8,000 points.

A huge thanks to Sock Master for creating another awesome Remix, JC for hosting and handling the registration/submission forms, and thank you to all the players that submitted scores!

See you all next time for Arbor Day Remix!

Rank     Name            Score
 1   J.P. Buergers     1,443,800 (22-6 KS) - $125 + DK Spooky Remix Shirt + $10 from Jason Horner
 2   Benjamin Falls    1,158,500 (22-6 KS)
-  $75 + DKF Coffee Mug + $10 from Jason Horner
 3   Mathew McGill     1,111,100 (22-4 KS)
-  $50 + $10 from Jason Horner
 4   Chris Psaros        987,100 (22-2 KS)
-  $25
 5   John Kowalski       536,500
 6   Daniel Larsen       468,000
 7   Jeremy Young        431,900
 8   Jeff Harrist        347,300
 9   Todd Lalonde        267,300
10   James Magowan       232,200
11   Dustin Myers        232,100
12   Nathan Brandt       220,500
13   Tim Kreh            212,700
14   Chris Gleed         211,000
15   Richard Dziuba      168,600
16   Benjamin Sweeney    162,200
17   Chris Teter         155,300
18   Josh Mayden         153,000
19   James King          143,000
20   Jacob Ashley        102,100
21   Nina Haigh           49,600

Bounties:
First to reach 22-1: Benjamin Falls - $25 + DK Spooky Remix Shirt
First to score 1,000,000: J.P. Buergers - $25 + DK Spooky Remix Shirt
Highest score on a Bonus Stage: Daniel Larsen - 8,000 points - $25

Offline Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 04:42:23 am »
Member for 10 Years