Author Topic: DK Spooky Remix Halloween Tournament 2018  (Read 66067 times)

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
Re: DK Spooky Remix Halloween Tournament 2018
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 06:56:46 pm »
Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline treborlicec

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 09:59:57 pm »
Not a streamer, so I can't compete, but I downloaded and tried this out.  Really cool twists and surprises.  Very well done.  Next up, DK Jr Remix St Patty's edition, lol.  :D
Member for 7 Years

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 09:36:40 am »
i cant play it ..i dont know how to set it up .. HELP .... <Allen> <Allen> <Billy> <Billy>
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 10:24:09 am »
i cant play it ..i dont know how to set it up .. HELP .... <Allen> <Allen> <Billy> <Billy>

I'm just using a normal current version of WolfMAME and I believe you need three ROMsets to play this:

dkong
dkongx
dkongx11 (posted earlier in this thread)

Check out this post from earlier:

The tournament starts tomorrow!  Good luck everyone!

To make sure everyone has time to figure out how to get it going, I'm posting the ROM a bit early.
Just copy the zip file into MAME's roms directory.  To run the game you *must* execute MAME from the Command prompt.

If this is new to you, type 'command prompt' into Windows' Start Menu to launch a command window.
In the command window type cd\directory\mame to change directory to wherever MAME is located (replace directory\mame with whatever file path it is on your machine).
From there, type whatever MAME's executable is named followed by the game and whatever options you want...  eg: mame64 dkongx11 -window

See the first post in this tread for alternate options.

And finally..  There are going to be some surprises in DK Spooky Remix.   I'm wondering if maybe we should start a thread for DK Spooky Remix discussion and strategies?  Maybe

Good luck everyone and I hope you all have a blast!

Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 08:11:17 pm »
I downloaded misiftmame, and renamed the spooky remix rom to d2k11.zip.  The rom isn't found and when auditing, I get a checksum error.  Thoughts?

:edit: well, command line it is for now, via wolfmame .174.  If someone could help getting misfitmame working, it would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:24:54 pm by YesAffinity »
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 09:16:20 pm »
I downloaded misiftmame, and renamed the spooky remix rom to d2k11.zip.  The rom isn't found and when auditing, I get a checksum error.  Thoughts?

:edit: well, command line it is for now, via wolfmame .174.  If someone could help getting misfitmame working, it would be appreciated.

You'll get a checksum error no matter what. Make sure you have dkong as well. Auditing won't help anything, but if you go straight to the D2K v1.1 game in the menu and double-click it, it should run.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sokratz

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 09:58:09 pm »
I haven't played it enough yet to have seen everything but I like what I see so far!!  Thanks for all of the work on this.  It's great to see new DK versions coming out!

Here's my question.  It works as it should using the lr-mame2016 emulator when the rom is named dkongx11.zip but I want it to work as a different name so I can have both Christmas Remix and Spooky Remix on the same machine - as well as Donkey Kong (dkong.zip), Donkey Kong II (dkongx.zip), Donkey Kong Foundry (dkongf.zip), Donkey Kong Pauline Edition (dkongpe.zip), Donkey Kong Jr (dkongjr.zip), Donkey Kong 3 (dkong3.zip).

I tried to name the zip:
    dkongo.zip, which is Donkey Kong US Set 2.    Didn’t work
    dkonghrd.zip – Donkey Kong Hard (hack).   Didn’t work
Then tried to create a new zip which contains the Spooky Remix files plus the dkong.zip files.
   Called the new zip dkonghrd.zip.   Didn’t work
   Dkongo.zip.   Didn’t work.

I imagine it would work if I named it dkongx.zip but that would mean eliminating Donkey Kong II from the machine.

I used those two names, dkonghrd and dkongo, because they appear to be supported by lr-mame2016.

My goal is to get all of the DK games working on one mame cabinet.  Doesn't have to be the same emulator but does need to live in the same directory as the other DK files - thus the need for a unique zip name.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Member for 6 Years

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 10:12:44 pm »

You'll get a checksum error no matter what. Make sure you have dkong as well. Auditing won't help anything, but if you go straight to the D2K v1.1 game in the menu and double-click it, it should run.

I do have dkong.zip, and did as you said.  It came back saying missing roms, gave the list of missing roms, and went back to the game selection menu.   :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:26:16 am by YesAffinity »

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0

Offline Kewydee_17

• Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 09:11:32 am »
Sock_Master really is the King of Remixes

His programming skills are a wonder to behold.

All the remixes are fantastic.

The only thing letting them down is this command line stuff. There has to be a better and easier way to access these Remixes

Anyone got any ideas how to make running these Remixes less of a technical faff?

I was thinking of maybe a KONGMAME version of MAME. One that has all the Remixes that Sock_Master has released.

A MAME dedicated to just Kong and remixes. One that is easy to set up and run.

That way, if there are any future remixes there will be a MAME all ready to run them.
DK Hi-Score 84,000

Mr Do! Hi-Score 2.030.050 Scene 141
Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer

creech

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 09:24:26 am »
Sock_Master really is the King of Remixes

His programming skills are a wonder to behold.

All the remixes are fantastic.

The only thing letting them down is this command line stuff. There has to be a better and easier way to access these Remixes

Anyone got any ideas how to make running these Remixes less of a technical faff?

I was thinking of maybe a KONGMAME version of MAME. One that has all the Remixes that Sock_Master has released.

A MAME dedicated to just Kong and remixes. One that is easy to set up and run.

That way, if there are any future remixes there will be a MAME all ready to run them.
Please sir, do not take offense to my post because I have no intent to offend, but to run any mame game from wolfmame commandline doesn't take many steps. The same steps apply with this remix as long as you have the necessary roms in the roms folder and the path is right in the mame ini file. If you already had wolfmame set up then you're more than half the way home as far as running the remix rom.

If anyone has trouble I'm open to help by way of message, but I may not be available till night in US. I'm sure others if available can assist as well.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:30:58 am by creech »

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 10:47:04 am »
It's a little bit of a hurdle, compared to other gui mame's, but not a lot once you get it set up.

For the uninitiated, hopefully this is helpful.

1) Download a newer wolfmame version (I'm using .174)
2) Extract or whatever, place the wolfmame folder on the C: drive (easier to navigate from command line if you don't have to go deep into folders).  If the name of the folder created is something different than wolfmame, then rename it to wolfmame (right click on the folder, click on rename, then type wolfmame)
3) In windows explorer, go to c: drive wolfmame folder, run wolfmame once (double click on executable), then exit out
4) In windows explorer, go to c: drive wolfmame folder, open .ini file (if it is not associated with a windows program, you can open it with notepad)
5) Make sure the roms directory is set to "roms" (no parentheses).  It will be this by default, but good to double check.  Save and close the .ini file.
6) In windows explorer, go to c: drive wolfmame folder, and make sure there is a roms folder present within the wolfmame folder.  If there isn't, create a new folder with the name roms.
7) Place the rom files in the roms folder: dkong.zip, and the dkong11x.zip file provided here by our illustrious Sock Master
8 ) Open a command line window (if you don't know how, google it for your version of Windows)
9) Windows' command line starts you at different locations, depending on the version of the OS.  In all cases, type "cd.." (no parentheses) and hit enter.  Then do it one more time.  You will now be in the C: drive, at the command line
10) Type "cd wolfma~1" (no parentheses).  You will now be in your wolfmame folder
11) Next (and last), you will type the command to run the game and record an inp.  Identify your wolfmame executable, you will need to know this for the command.  In my wolfame .174, the executable is mamearcade.exe.  So, the command in this case will be: mamearcade dkongx11 -record dkongx11
mamearcade - the executable, if your executable is different then type what your executable is in place of mamearcade
dkongx11 - the name of the rom that you want to run (and you do want to run this one, which was downloaded from the spooky remix thread and linked at the top of the DKF home page)
-record - initiates recording to an inp
dkongx11 - the name that will be given to the recorded inp file, if you want to name it something different then change this to whatever you want to name it

So, let's say your wolfmame executable is named wolfmame.exe, and you want to call your inp file spookyDK, then your command would be: wolfmame dkongx11 -record spookyDK

Lastly, your recorded inp file can be found in your c: drive wolfmame folder, within the inp folder

Hope this helps.  Basically, once you get things set up, then to play moving forward, you only need to do setps 8 through 11 after booting your computer.  If you have a terrible start of a run, simply press escape to exit out of the game, then press the up arrow once at the command line and hit enter to rerun/rerecord the game.  Pressing the up arrow once will produce the last command you typed, which will be your mamearcade dkongx11 -record dkongx11 or whatever you typed, followed by enter to execute the command. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:57:36 am by YesAffinity »

Offline fuzzbop

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 11:16:56 am »
I am not in the tourney, but I did download the rom and mess around with it a little bit, I compiled a custom MAME that had it legit added (renamed it dkspooky for this purpose). I know You dont want the actual remix games in mame, at least not yet sockmaster, but these holiday versions and such I think would be excellent to at least toss at the HBMAME guys and get them into proper romsets. They are awesome awesome work, and it would be awesome to see them on a larger scale. I for one keep complete romsets and don't like to replace the files in my system (prolly obvious since I added it to the mame source by hand last night) it would also be nice for future plans you may have to allready have a line of communication open with someone like HBMAME and then you can get the patched roms ready for these kinds of events in the future and possibly have them added to proper sets the release before the event so its not so "hard" for people to be able to hop in and play.  I know this is all to be taken with a grain of salt, I am brand new to the community and as soon as I can come up with a DK cabinet, I intend to buy a kit for it, but it is at least good foor for thought for an awesome product!
Member for 5 Years

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 11:56:03 am »

Kewy, Allen and others, in the first post in the thread:

Quote from: Jry

If you're not comfortable with the command line, you'll need to download MisfitMAME 0.128 and rename the romset from dkongx11.zip to d2k11.zip. While not required, it is highly recommended that you record and save INPs of your games.

I did it and if I can do it, any cunnox can do it :)
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Kewydee_17

• Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 11:55:59 pm »
Thanks for all the advice chaps, and no offence taken at all  :)

But, this proves my point. If it takes 11 steps to get Spooky remix running, that's way too much faff.

Command line in 2018, really? That's a big nope.

I could probably sort this out, what I was hoping for is an easy solution so that anyone can run these remixes.

A simple, self-extracting installer. Double click and your in. That level of easy set-up.

Something that's do-able by someone with Allens level of tech skills. On his own.

Then new releases of remixes could just be added to the installer as and when they are available.

The easier it is to get up and running, the more people will play.
DK Hi-Score 84,000

Mr Do! Hi-Score 2.030.050 Scene 141
Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 12:46:34 am »
Half of those 11 steps are redundant. I can download the rom and get it working in under a minute

1) Download MAME, unzip somewhere on your PC in a folder called MAME
2) Download the appropriate ROM. Put in the folder MAME/roms
3) Open command line and navigate to wherever you downloaded MAME using "cd", "cd.." and "dir"
4) Record/play/whatever using appropriate commands.

Done. Even 2 of these steps aren't needed if you already have MAME and already have the command line to open to the MAME directory.

It's easy. Don't be stubborn
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer