Author Topic: Sanyo Monitor Troubleshooting  (Read 7456 times)

Offline DJSAM123

• Awards
Sanyo Monitor Troubleshooting
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:48:14 pm »
Hey all,

This is my first post, so go easy on me.

Anyway, I just recently bought a Donkey Kong cabinet. It's my first cabinet too, so I'm pretty pumped. She's rough, rusty and dusty, definitely a fixer-upper but that's exactly why I bought 'er in the first place. I've always wanted to learn more about arcade cabinets and how to fix and restore them, but they always seemed out of the realm of possibility when it comes to the 'ol wallet. I didn't want to buy just any game either, and wanted it to be something I'd know I'd play, such as a Q*bert or Mario Bros. Didn't want a MAME cab either, wanted something dedicated and as original as possible.

Lo and behold, I find a DK cabinet at a used goods store whilst thrifting with friends. They were asking 800 bones for it, to which I immediately said no. After returning to the store the next day and going over it again I offered $300. We eventually came to an agreement at 5. Overspent, sure, but it was right there and I'm not planning on going crazy with cosmetic restoration, maybe get some new T molding at most.

So now onto the meat of the matter. The game itself is a four board stack, TKG3 specifically, which is odd, considering the adjustments sheet on the door refers to TKG4 as well as the serial plate. When you turn the game on, the marquee lights up, you can insert a quarter and the game will start up once the 1 player button is pressed. My only indication that anything is happening, however, is the sound, as there is no picture. Nothing. No life in the display. No orange glow in the tube either.

I'd like to have an arcade tech look at it, but I thought I'd come to the forum first to see if I could figure out the root cause of the issue and perhaps save myself a few bucks in the process. It's a Sanyo EZ monitor, looks to be the same as in other Nintendo cabinets. Don't want to touch it as I obviously don't want to die. I also don't currently have any way to discharge it either, so there's that problem.

I'll be honest, I know almost zilch about this stuff, so now it's time to learn. If you guys need any pictures, I'll provide 'em.

Thanks.
Member for 5 Years

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DJSAM123

• Awards
Re: Sanyo Monitor Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:22:29 pm »
Thanks
Member for 5 Years

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 02:37:01 pm »
 So you have game sounds? That is really good and odd. I would try adjusting the brightness. Usually on a Ez20 you get no sound. I would try the brightness on the flyback. I've had this happen many times when I've bought a game with nothing on the screen and it was just the brightness. Post pictures.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline DJSAM123

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 02:47:05 pm »
Ok, I just opened the cabinet up and found two issues. I have no idea how i missed these.

Can't find anything to plug the one cord into.
Member for 5 Years

Offline DJSAM123

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 10:24:27 pm »
Alright, so after doing some research, it looks like my flyback is missing it's cage with the board on top. Not sure how integral that is to the setup. The flyback itself looks crusty anyway so perhaps I'll replace that first.
Member for 5 Years

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:09:33 am »
That looks like a green wire not connected to anything?  If so, it's an equipment ground.  Not critical, but good to get it reconnected to any ground point (anywhere that is metal, like the nut holding the power supply in place on the transformer/psu assembly.

Are you getting white on the screen when turning the flyback and remote board brightness up, or still nothing?  check for 100v at the utility plug within the cabinet (on the same transformer/psu assembly).  DO NOT PLUG THE MONITOR INTO THE WALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!  Sanyo's use 100V power, good for up to 105V max, I believe.  Plugging it into a US wall outlet will fry it.

The flybacks are also a likely point of failure.  If it's got yellow crust on it, best to replace it.  Peter is one of a couple very reputable sellers within the hobby.  Best to pickup a cap kit too while you're there:

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/monitors/monitor-flybacks/f5024-akj-sanyo-20ezv-flyback/

Check all connections at the game board, as well.  If they are not connected properly, you will also get no video.

Lastly, the flyback cage is not critical, nor is the inverter board that is sometimes on top of it.  It is needed for non-inverted monitors, but DK boards output inverted video to Sanyo's that expect inverted video.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DJSAM123

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 11:43:33 am »
I guess I probably should have been more clear: There is literally nothing on the display, as in, it doesn't turn on at all. It's not an issue of getting a blank screen, it's just that the monitor itself seems to be completely dead. Even if some of the cords were loose on the PCB itself, I still wouldn't be able to tell because the monitor itself is lifeless.

I really wanna get somebody to come and fix it, but I know I'm gonna pay bigtime. I think I'm just gonna get a cap kit and perhaps pick up a new flyback, and relearn to solder (It's been a few years). Might as well learn how to do it for future purposes (REALLY want to get a Popeye at some point).

Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

Member for 5 Years

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 02:19:05 pm »
Did you check this?

check for 100v at the utility outlet within the cabinet (on the same transformer/psu assembly).  DO NOT PLUG THE MONITOR INTO THE WALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!  Sanyo's use 100V power, good for up to 105V max, I believe.  Plugging it into a US wall outlet will fry it.

If no power at the outlet, work your way back to the transformer (next to the large gold power supply), and back to the plug exiting the cab ( which plugs into the wall).  Could be a severed wire or loose connection at any point between utility outlet within the cab and the terminal block where the wall plug cable terminates.  If you do have 100V at the utility outlet in the cab, then no need to do that backtracking, it's something between the chassis 2-prong plug and the tube.  In that case, the flow chart is your best friend.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DJSAM123

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 06:17:38 pm »
Perhaps I could do a quick video? I can't really do one at the moment, but maybe I'll upload something to YouTube later.
Member for 5 Years

Offline spindaddy56

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 08:40:19 am »
Where are you located? If you are around me i'll help you out. Long shot.

Jason
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline DJSAM123

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 01:16:16 pm »
Where are you located? If you are around me i'll help you out. Long shot.

Tacoma, Washington.
Member for 5 Years

Offline spindaddy56

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 06:35:43 am »
Sorry no even close to me.  I'm in Indiana :)
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 02:29:39 pm »
Hey I'm in indiana so you can help me. Lol, I just put in a 60 in 1 and my monitor fades really quick to dark even with brightness turned up. I had to disconnect my service switch to my edge connector but not sure what the other wire controls. Do you know?
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 10:22:31 pm »
Given that you can't/won't check for input voltage - does the neck part that sticks out of the back of the monitor tube glow at all when you leave the power on for a while at least?
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger