Author Topic: Donkey Kong: Masters Edition  (Read 14474 times)

giv

Re: Donkey Kong: Master's Edition
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 10:39:25 am »
That DK94 project is really great.

DK masters edition would use the original jumpman sprite, but you would have some of the moves from the Mario vs DK series. You would get a triple jump where the second and third jumps go increasingly higher by jumping three times in quick succession while pushing up on the joystick. Also you can get to the second jump height by facing backwards quickly and doing a back jump while holding up. By pushing up while doing the new jumps means that all regular jumps and moves will still be executable. Just don't push up on the joystick while doing them.

This would mean you can do things like if you are at the end of a girder on a barrel board, you can backjump to the girder above, bypassing the ladder.

You also would get a handstand, you can walk on your hands slowly, and do a handspring for 2nd height jump. While hand standing, you can 'kick' wild barrels and springs.

Mario vs DK also gives you the ability to duck and to grab objects and throw them, but I don't see the use unless there are added enemies. Maybe a slide would be cool by running then pushing down. It would look cool, but I can't think of any purpose for it though.

Small changes to the boards would have to be made, for instance raising the final platform on the elevator stage so you cant just high jump to it, to keep it challenging.

Also I would make the boards go higher, meaning the second barrel board would be two barrel boards high, and the third elevator would be three boards high. Theres lots of room for design creativity there, but I would try to keep the board designs close to the original. Boards go higher until max difficulty. Bonus timers would need to be lengthened accordingly.

The 4 DKjr boards would make an appearance at some point, but you would still control Mario with all his abilities plus he could climb vines just like junior.

And of course the coolest move, throwing the hammer in the air, and catching it after climbing up to the next girder.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:45:52 am by giv »

Online DaLar

• __________________________________________________
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong: Masters Edition
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 11:26:06 am »
And just for yucks, check out the "Hellevatorz" (attached).
Cool..!
I played a little with barrels a couple of years ago: A "split-course" board w/ barrels from both Kong and the stack .. :)

EDIT: I do love challenge stages (i.e., Mario Bros, Galaga, etc..) and a barrel jumping on one girder challenge would be great. 40 barrels come out the left on a single girder that you can not go up or down. You have to jump, back jump, forward jump, etc...just to cross all barrels. Even x_x_x  can be done with three simultaneous perfectly executed back jumps. Or you do have a wall bounce on the right to help. Would be a fun challenge. You either get the points accumulated for the jumps before you died, or a 10K perfect bonus,.
Ya, that would be sweet -- remember the TG-thread with sim. topic..? c",)

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 11:41:19 am »
Pretty Cool, DaLar.

How About....

COMING SOON....EVERYONE'S WORST FEAR.....

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

giv

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 12:08:31 pm »
Doing a slide lets you perform a long jump, by pushing forward and jump while sliding. High jumps and long jumps can help you do more trick barrel jumping and fancy elevator board antics, but they wouldn't help so much with firefoxes because of their erratic behavior.

Being able to grab onto a ladder mid-jump might be an interesting addition.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 12:09:15 am »
I do love challenge stages

Just for you Dave (attached).

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 10:08:07 am »
The challenge stage with the line-up of barrels would be the ONLY thing I would EXTREMELY enjoy in Donkey Kong. Like there would be this challenge level for like 1 minute, and if you survive, you gain an extra man (but can't lose any man on this stage), and this stage would be at the end of every rivet screen. That would make Donkey Kong so fricking much awesome!
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 09:44:34 pm »

My thinking is that the "ice-foxes" would freeze the girders anywhere they went, but only while blue. The ice would melt after 1 or 2 seconds so they would have an "ice tail" similar to a comet.  The ice would reduce jumpman's ability to increase/decrease speeds or change direction; making the hammer rather interesting.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:39:34 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 10:25:25 pm »
I love it Ethan.  Imagine how brutal "No Hammer" would be with "icefoxes".

Edit: Oh, except they'd never be blue if one was playing "No Hammer".  Derp.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:35:56 am by VON »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK 1.1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer Blogger Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 09:07:12 am »
I've also had the thought that a DK game with no KS but with extra men gained every 500k would be a simple but interesting marathon variation. I think some people could definitely make it long enough to start having tiredness start affecting their gameplay. Maybe I'm a masochist, but I like seeing how people (myself included) break down when they push themselves to their limit. I think DK would be cool if it somehow could allow for this type scenario to happen.  ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 05:35:42 am »

My thinking is that the "ice-foxes" would freeze the girders anywhere they went, but only while blue. The ice would melt after 1 or 2 seconds so they would have an "ice tail" similar to a comet.  The ice would reduce jumpman's ability to increase/decrease speeds or change direction; making the hammer rather interesting.

Check out the riviot screen on this guy's new take:

! No longer available
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 09:54:10 pm »
: O
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 12:02:13 pm »
That rivet screen is awesome. I love the concept of the ice skates. I think it'd be even more amazing if the idea of freezing/melting firefoxes was incorporated into it in some way.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer