Author Topic: The arcade version of Donkey Kong has been rereleased through Arcade Archives  (Read 14202 times)

Offline Lichfieldwarrior

• Awards
Nice setups.
Hi everyone. My first post on here and looking for advice from the pros. I'm loving switch DK and determined to climb boards. I'm an old school gamer but never got into DK arcade until a week a go. I've invested in a switch Haysbusa arcade stick to help me. Is this a good plan? Appreciate it is non purist 8 way but setting it to 4 way in options does not improve my game as obviously no restricted to make it pure.
Thanks
Member for 5 Years

Offline Bounty Bob

• Awards
The thing with 8 way on Switch is that if you are on diagonal, then right/left is prioritised over the up/down. This can be an advantage and a disadvantage. If you are moving up or down a ladder and are on the diagonal, you'll move left or right when you get to the bottom/top of the ladder and might end up running in an unintended direction. The advantage is that if you are going up or down a ladder and are on the diagonal you'll instantly start running left or right as soon as you hit the ladder exit point. So long as you are planning for that then it can make things quicker/smoother. Should be less of a problem with a traditional 8 way joystick than with the Switch's joy cons though as the joy cons seem to register the diagonal as soon as you are slightly off centre with the up/down pointing, so it can be quite annoying.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
Like all 8-way sticks one really have to make sure those diagonals are not costing you too many annoying steering deaths. Unfortunately it makes you less quick in certain situations (especially on the rivets shifting from ladder to ladddr). But like I above - the game is very responsful and well-implemented imo. 
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

yman

I love that Nintendo included online rankings for the three original modes in addition to the high score modes because it allows average joes like myself to post scores similar to what elite DK players would.

After seeing that I had a score of 1.25m when my last jumpman died, I felt a sense of accomplishment but I'm sure it was nothing compared to what some of my favorite athletes must've felt such as when Barry Bonds broke the single season and all-time home run records, or when Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France 7 straight times or when Billy Mitchell broke the high score records for DK and DKJr on the same day.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I love that Nintendo included online rankings for the three original modes in addition to the high score modes because it allows average joes like myself to post scores similar to what elite DK players would.

After seeing that I had a score of 1.25m when my last jumpman died, I felt a sense of accomplishment but I'm sure it was nothing compared to what some of my favorite athletes must've felt such as when Barry Bonds broke the single season and all-time home run records, or when Lance Armstrong won the Tour de France 7 straight times or when Billy Mitchell broke the high score records for DK and DKJr on the same day.
Please don't tell me you hacked the score and got 1.25 million.  I really despise when someone does this.  It destroys the integrity of the system, and stops people from playing the game because they don't want to submit scores on a corrupted scoreboard.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
He knows what he did, hence his mention of a bunch of other cheaters.

It was bound to happen, so at least he came clean quickly.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I don't have access to a switch, and so I was hoping that there was no 1.25 million score.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Mario500

• Doing 'The Mario' on the keyboard
    • Awards
He knows what he did, hence his mention of a bunch of other cheaters.

It was bound to happen, so at least he came clean quickly.

I had never seen or heard any reports confirming whether a certain Barry Bonds or a certain Billy Mitchell had actually cheated in some way or not.
Highest Score in Donkey Kong for Nintendo 64 Systems (Mario500): 699,300 points (Level 19-1)
Highest Level in Donkey Kong for Nintendo 64 Systems (Mario500): Level 19-1
Member for 11 Years

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
Alright then. Anyone seen any good movies?
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Mario500

• Doing 'The Mario' on the keyboard
    • Awards

What did you mean by "good movies"?
Highest Score in Donkey Kong for Nintendo 64 Systems (Mario500): 699,300 points (Level 19-1)
Highest Level in Donkey Kong for Nintendo 64 Systems (Mario500): Level 19-1
Member for 11 Years

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards

What did you mean by "good movies"?
Come on, the question is obvious.  He asking if we have seen any movies with "good" in the title.
A Few Good Men
As Good as It Gets
Good Morning Vietnam
The Good Son
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

yman

The save state option is built right into the original modes of the Switch, so I'm not clear as to why it would be considered hacking or cheating to use it since every other player has it available to them too.

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
The save state option is built right into the original modes of the Switch

<Billy> "It was a lot harder to do in my day"
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
You basically exposed the corruptible nature of the scoreboard.  To be sure someone else would have done it eventually.  Still, the scoreboard has become a complete joke now.  It's too bad Nintendo didn't put in better security measures.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

yman

There is a different scoreboard for each mode, so if you want to make sure that none of the scores listed were played using save states, you need to leave the "Original" mode and go to the rankings for the "High Score" or "Caravan" modes because those two don't allow you to use them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:16:25 pm by yman »