Author Topic: Can I submit scores if a board has a freeplay/save kit installed?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline ken

• Awards
I never trust my interpretation of rules so just want to confirm with you guys before I dig in. Cab is otherwise all original or NOS. Thanks!
Member for 7 Years

Offline ken

• Awards
Re: Can I submit scores if a board has a freeplay/save kit installed?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:04:53 am »
Also when I was digging around for answers I found this archived post. Check out that last comment! https://www.twingalaxies.com/archive/index.php/t-135294.html
Member for 7 Years

Offline twinxen

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 07:11:08 am »
Also when I was digging around for answers I found this archived post. Check out that last comment! https://www.twingalaxies.com/archive/index.php/t-135294.html
Nice find!
Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. --Tom Lehrer
Member for 6 Years CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ThadJarvice

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:27:32 am »

Thank you for this. I was recently looking through the TG ruleset and could not justify most of the steps on there. The original power supply thing gets me also... Do Nintendo power supplies output magical-cheater voltage?
Member for 6 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:40:31 am »
Personally at this point all the kits should be allowed as we know what they are about (Remix, D2K, Braze) and power supplies shouldnt matter. At this point just record the gameplay and show the stuff at the end. I'm also against the "is it a 4-way" but others may not be. The whole "power supply causes glitches" is kinda a so? Its almost certainly due to the 5v not outputting 5v there is no other logical explanation for switching power supplies to cause issues unless they just arent outputing the proper voltage and that is something that can happen to ANY power supply. Time to get with 2018 all :D

Thank you for this. I was recently looking through the TG ruleset and could not justify most of the steps on there. The original power supply thing gets me also... Do Nintendo power supplies output magical-cheater voltage?
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 07:40:47 am »
For DKF verified scores high score kits are ok and will be noted with the score.

Platform Notes

Arcade   =  TKG4 or unknown (some earlier TG scores may not have been TKG4).
TKG3   =  4 board set using the US Set 1 ROM.
Multi   =  A Multi PCB (X-in-1) configuration.
MAME   =  Any version of WolfMAME or unknown (scores prior to May 2006 are not 0.106, score prior to July 2003 are not WolfMAME)
*   =  A D2K and/or Remix board was plugged into the Z80 processor location.
^   =  A high score save kit was plugged into the Z80 processor location.

At Twin Galaxies its up to you to submit the score and convince the adjudicators that the score is legit and the HSS kit makes no difference. Some scores have gotten verified even though they were done on modified hardware/software.

Do Nintendo power supplies output magical-cheater voltage?
That rule was put in because a former ref was also an 'arcade tech' and he had seen some implementations of modern power supplies that did not supply enough current to the gameboard and it caused various graphics glitches. It was a stupid rule and has since become a none issue on any scoreboard.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:42:28 am by Scoundrl »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ThadJarvice

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 12:55:19 pm »
thank you for that information! Correction on previous statement: I meant to say rather "do nintendo power supplies have magical-anticheating voltage output"
Member for 6 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:16 pm »
Well, non original switching power supplies can cause screen jitter/twitch on the Sanyo 20EZ's.  It's more of annoyance than anything.  Just a cautionary tale from personal experience.

Original power supplies are a pain to do a cap kit on, but well worth it to keep the game logic running tip-top.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer