Author Topic: Question about tricks & glitches  (Read 2910 times)

Mr. E

Question about tricks & glitches
« on: March 29, 2018, 11:26:26 pm »
Hi,

I ran across a table here on the forums that shows which tricks & glitches work with the various DK / CK roms and I'm a bit unsure on some of the terminology that was used. I was hoping someone could help straighten me out.

Please tell me if I'm wrong on anything . . .

The "Ladder Trick" refers to when you hold your hand on the girder at the top of a ladder (which prevents barrels from going down the ladder).

The "Floor Trick" (aka the "Floor Skip" of the "Warp") is when you jump off the right side of the screen after climbing the first ladder and warp to the top of the screen (or the next level or whatever).

The "Hammer Drop" is when you walk to the end of a floor and your hammer vanishes.

The "Kong Leech" (aka "Kong Taunt") is when you stand next to Kong and jump up (tapping your stick right or left at the apex) to get points.

The "Kong Walk" is a CK glitch where you can touch or walk past Kong without dying.

There is one last entry on the chart that I've never heard of and have searched unsuccessfully on the web to find out about. Namely . . . the "Jump Steer." According to the chart, it works only on dkong (US set 1). I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what it is and/or how you do it.

Thanks a lot!

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Question about tricks & glitches
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 01:58:58 pm »
Could you link the chart?  I might be taking things out of context, but for the ladder trick, I believe you have it correct.  First rom version of DK ("US Set 2" in MAME) allowed jumpman to safely stay at the top of the ladder and wait for an opportunity to climb without fear of a rolling barrel coming down on him.  Wild barrels could still kill.

I've never heard the term jump steer, but assume it's a game mechanism that I'm used to using, and is exactly what it sound like - while jumping straight up, forward or backward, move joystick in the direction of the barrel you want to steer down a ladder it is approaching.  Since it's only on US set 1, maybe this is why I get the impression when playing my TKG3 board set (with original or "US Set 2" code) that the barrels don't steer as frequently.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Mr. E

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:44:25 am »
Thanks for replying.

I couldn't find that chart again over here, but I had DLed it and I attached a copy of it to this post.

I was thinking that Jump Steer had to do with steering barrels, but I thought it must be some kind of special trick since it was my understanding that you can steer barrels on pretty much all DK / CK versions. I now you can still do it while climbing ladders or standing still, but maybe its only on US set 1 that you can do it while jumping?

As for the other things . . . I know most of the tricks by different names than those used on the chart and I just wanted to get straight on what is what. Thanks for the confirmation on the "ladder Trick." I'm pretty sure I got it right on "Hammer Drop," "Kong Walk" and "Kong Leech," but it woud be nice to know it I got it right on the "Floor Trick."

Just BTW . . . I know of one other glitch that wasn't mentioned on the list (though its not really useful) . . . I've noticed that on some CK roms, the hammer on the upper floor of the Rivets level disappears shortly after starting the level, but it is still there and when you jump up to get it, it becomes visible again.

Thanks again for replying!

Offline Simon

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 04:53:13 am »
well, I never knew the floor glitch worked on Japan set 3,  I thought it was just confined to CK
Member for 6 Years

Offline _Zaphod_

• Prime Сasual Dating True Females
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:04:54 pm »
nope. the fact that it's in japan set 3 is why it's in crazy kong, as that's the code ck was based on.