Author Topic: Best controls for Donkey Kong?  (Read 7851 times)

Offline pcfreak324

• Awards
Best controls for Donkey Kong?
« on: January 07, 2018, 02:42:34 am »
I'm interested in your prefered controls for Donkey Kong.

I found an older thread at twingalaxies where the Mag-Stik Plus was recommended because of its short throw. Some websites claim that this stick is not precise enough in its stock configuration. They recommend to swap out the microswitches and the gate of the stick.

I only play the game on my PC with Mame or the inaccurate NES port on my nes. These are the controls tested in the order of preference (from best to worst):

1. mechanical Cherry G80 keyboard (MX-Blue switches) with Mame's default keyboard configuration
2. 8bitdo Sanwa stick (buttons used for directions, similar to a hitbox)
3. NES dogbone or original controller
4. Zippyy stick (4 way)
5. 8bitdo FC30 Sanwa Edition (8 way)

I need controls where I can quickly (short throw) and precisely hit the directions when I'm under pressure, especially in the barrel and the spring stage where I have to move and climb up very fast. It seems to be easiest with the keyboard. I imagine that controllers with a split dpad (like the Playstation one) might be a good choice, too.

What are your experiences?

Member for 6 Years

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Best controls for Donkey Kong?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:50:07 pm »
I've mostly learned the game on MAME with a standard keyboard. Transitioning to a cab with a stick doesn't take too long.

I've found keyboard to be much easier when concerned with the finer movements, but mileage will vary as it really depends on what you're used to. I've always argued that keyboard gives an advantage but it doesn't hold much merit when you consider the top 3 all-time scores were done with a stick

:)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:14:49 am »
Keyboard 100% does give an advantage. We all know this. Just because two guys grinded forever with a joystick doesnt mean the keyboard is superior. For a simply 4 way game it absolutely is. Especially if it reads both inputs at once. (You get 8 way without 8 way dig it).

Anyway yeah...
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 11:54:35 am »
Keyboard 100% does give an advantage. We all know this. Just because two guys grinded forever with a joystick doesnt mean the keyboard is superior. For a simply 4 way game it absolutely is. Especially if it reads both inputs at once. (You get 8 way without 8 way dig it).

Anyway yeah...

You can't use 8-way movements with a keyboard as the game is restricted to 4-way in MAME.

There are certain instances you can hold both buttons at once and one fires until you let go. For example climbing up/down ladders on the rivets a lot of the time I'll hold left/right and down at the same time, release the direction and you'll activate the ladder. Definitely more efficient than moving a joystick around.

But true 8-way movements like steering and ascending a ladder won't work. Unless thats not what you were referring to
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 12:06:58 pm »
I too think that keyboard steering is somewhat “easier”. BUT the effective “multiple-buttons-at-once”-mashing Barra is referring to can also be a pain in the a.. IMO. You can accidentally push more buttons at once and get unintended behaviour at those very crucial “hit-or-miss”-moments, which would never happen with a true 4-way stick. So.... now I actually prefer the stick. 
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Flobeamer1922

• Elite Member
    • My YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:57:19 pm »
For all of my Donkey Kong INPs that I've recorded so far, I played the game with a Unicomp Model M keyboard. Its buckling spring switches actually feel very nice for it from my experience. With the keys' tactile bump and click noise, you're always absolutely certain when you've pressed a direction or when you've pressed jump.
PBs:
Donkey Kong - 1,032,100 (22-1)
Donkey Kong Junior - 79,400 (4-2)
Donkey Kong 3 - 344,200 (Stage 22)
Crazy Kong Part II - 645,400 (22-4)

I occasionally stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/flobeamer1922
Member for 6 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 04:55:43 pm »
For all of my Donkey Kong INPs that I've recorded so far, I played the game with a Unicomp Model M keyboard. Its buckling spring switches actually feel very nice for it from my experience. With the keys' tactile bump and click noise, you're always absolutely certain when you've pressed a direction or when you've pressed jump.

I use Realforce 87u keyboards. They’re solid.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:44:53 pm »

Anyway yeah...

You can't use 8-way movements with a keyboard as the game is restricted to 4-way in MAME.

There are certain instances you can hold both buttons at once and one fires until you let go. For example climbing up/down ladders on the rivets a lot of the time I'll hold left/right and down at the same time, release the direction and you'll activate the ladder. Definitely more efficient than moving a joystick around.

But true 8-way movements like steering and ascending a ladder won't work. Unless thats not what you were referring to

I thought that didnt change until way later versions of mame? Like 1.06 still works that way? Could be im thinking of just inputs in general and you are right it wont go "diag"
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 07:58:45 pm »

Anyway yeah...

I thought that didnt change until way later versions of mame? Like 1.06 still works that way? Could be im thinking of just inputs in general and you are right it wont go "diag"

I avoid 106 like the plague if possible so you may well be correct

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 08:35:16 pm »
DK has been 4-way restricted in MAME since version 0.37b14 aka 0.50 (April 2001).
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 06:09:48 am »
I like the arcade machine controls the best, of course.

When I do play on MAME, however, I've been using my PS4 controller, which seems to me adequate to the feel of the arcade.

I've played on the keyboard, but don't like that experience nearly as much.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 01:12:47 pm »
If you dont have access to an original cabinet and want a great 4-way joystick (that can switch to 8-way) for mame etc. I’ll recommend the Sanwa J-stick any time. I have installed two of those in my x-arcade tankstick instead of those poor ones that comes preinstalled.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:14:29 pm by mrvaya »
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer