Author Topic: So many CAG games, so much untapped potential  (Read 3427 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
So many CAG games, so much untapped potential
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:52 am »
I see the elite players of Donkey Kong, and my mind thinks.  Why can't most games have their potential of what is possible unlocked like Donkey Kong?  The highest level of Donkey Kong play is now an art form.  As awe inspiring as a Rachmaninoff piece played to near perfection.  Having said that, it's disappointing that it seems that half of the CAG community mainly plays this game.  It would be like people only playing Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 2, and basically forgetting all the other great classical music that's out there, and just playing this one piece over, and over, and over again.
So yeah, I want to see other games have their potential unlocked like it has been with Donkey Kong.  I want to see master play in Defender, Robotron, Galaga, Millipede, Zoo Keeper, and a thousand other games done on a regular basis.  I'm just tired of just this one game played so much.  So much potential in so many games, and it all gets drained out on Donkey Kong.  It's time for the community to start bringing out the art on other games!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

WCopeland

Re: So many CAG games, so much untapped potential
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:41:28 am »
don't tell me how to live my life

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:22:07 am »
Firstly - lots of people play lots of different games.  I don't even play Donkey Kong.
The odd coincidence is that on this site people seem to talk mostly about the Donkey Kong games.  Who woulda thunk it at DONKEYKONGFORUM.com?  DK is a popular game and will remain so, it's a good game.  There are others, and people do play them.

Also, look at this-
https://youtu.be/0wbnTXKIxVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15N9TsKi1KQ&t=1602s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn0chnMtae0
not to mention the Missile Command game by Bill Carlton recently, the 100 million Robotron marathons, all of McAllister's arcade and MAME submissions, etc.  (Dream on if you want to see high level Zookeeper gameplay Kappa)

The only wasted potential is you not watching other games. 
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:57:49 am »

If you want to watch magic on other games, why not go to TG and watch the... oh, err. Well, why not go to Marp or RU and watch the number one scores there?

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:09:38 am »
There is plenty of master level gameplay out there. Can YOU recognize it without someone pointing it out to you?

Hec
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:15 am »
Look, this is coming from personal experience.  From games I have gotten a record on, and realizing that there is sooooo much untapped potential in the game.   There are exceptions to the rule, and usually that's because of one, two, or possibly three people's labor of love on the game.  A vast majority of games aren't this way.  Donkey Kong is one of the few where you see greatness with this game being played by multiple people on a regular basis.

Is it so wrong to want to see this type of greatness spread to other games?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:58:12 pm »
miss
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer