Author Topic: ALLEN OFF 2017 ANNOUNCEMENT  (Read 10106 times)

WCopeland

ALLEN OFF 2017 ANNOUNCEMENT
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:29:42 pm »
ALLEN OFF 2017

The moment everyone has been waiting for is finally here. Two arcade titans enter, only one leaves. The explosive rivalry between Allen Staal and Brian Allen has recently hit a fever pitch, and the time has finally come for the two to duke it out in an ultimate showcase of sport. Much has changed since their last direct competition in 2015, and the stage is set for the question to truly be answered "who is the greater of the two Allens?"

This Year's Prizes

An incredible prize is up for grabs this year, something truly befitting of a champion. I am very proud to present the first ever custom-made Allen Off championship belt!!!

This belt cost nearly $300USD to produce. The winner of the competition will have it mailed to their address free of charge!

ALSO, in the spirit of charity and Christmas, if both players score over 700,000 points in the competition, a $300 donation will be made to Doctors Without Borders!!! Also, every kill screen achieved during the event will increase the charity pot to Doctors Without Borders by $50!

The Rules
  • First quarter drop begins Friday, December 15th at 7:00pm Eastern Standard Time (EST).
  • Final quarter drop is Sunday, December 31st at 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time (EST).
  • Only Allen Staal and Brian Allen are eligible to compete.
  • All games must be streamed on Twitch with a webcam and microphone - no exceptions. If either of these are missing, the score is instantly disqualified.
  • Both MAME and Arcade are allowed.
  • The player with the highest streamed score at the end of the competition wins. If one player doesn't participate, the other automatically wins.

Player Performance

Both players are currently at the peak of their game. Take a look at their most recent performances and personal bests:

Event/Stat                                  Brian Allen   Allen Staal

First Killscreen                            Jul 9, 2013   Dec 17, 2014
Donkey Kong Online Open 2014 #6               464,600       753,000
Donkey Kong Online Open 2015 #2               868,200       625,900
Donkey Kong Online Open 2015 #3               845,400       808,600
Allen Off 2015                                858,200       840,500
Current PB                                    880,500       905,400
PB Date                                     Apr 8, 2017   Nov 1, 2017

Predictions from the Pros (Allen: 5, Brian: 7)

Before making this announcement, I went to several prominent members of the community to hear who they felt would win this competition. Many of them took a long time to finally arrive to their answers, and everyone gave me permission to post their answers here.

Robbie Lakeman, Six-Time Donkey Kong World Record Holder
"Brian Allen all the way. His pace is much higher."

Mark Kiehl, Donkey Kong Jr. World Record Holder
"I'm going with Brian Allen to win the Event and repeat as Allen Off champion. Allen has a recent competition history of nerves getting the best of him in crucial moments leading to losses, so until Allen proves his mettle, I gotta go with the BEAst."

John McCurdy, Donkey Kong World Record Contender
"My eyes tell me that Brian Allen wins the belt with ease, but Staal is known to defy all realms of logic. If Brian plays, he dominates the ALLEN OFF, and takes home the immortal gold."

Vincent Lemay, Canadian Donkey Kong Champion and Former World Record Contender
"I think Allen Staal will win, because Allen is the Rocky Balboa of Donkey Kong. When he started playing Donkey Kong, not a lot of people believed in him, but he proved everybody wrong with his determination. Just like Rocky, Allen got hit a lot, but it ain't about how hard you're hit, but about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. And no matter how many wild barrels or fireballs hit Allen, he ain't gonna stop until Brian Allen is KO."

Steven Kleisath, Mario Bros. World Record Holder
"It's truly a toss up in my opinion, because I reckon Allen really cares and Brian doesn't."

Phil Tudose, Donkey Kong Start World Record Holder
"My money is on The Tacoma Kid. He's a vet."

Andrew Barrow, Classic Gaming Enthusiast and Galaga Competitor
"Life's own underdog; a worthy champion who recognizes when his opponents are feeling weak. It's his time. It's our time. #TeamBrianAllen."

Stephen Wagner, Multiple Arcade World Record Holder and Champion
"Allen Staal has the grit, determination, the immeasurables. Off the field intangibles. You can't teach it, there's something about his presence behind a monitor in dire need of a cap kit that instills fear in his opponents and dollar signs in local arcade repair shops. Brian's past performance may indeed be an indicator of future success, but with the raucous support of an entire nation behind him, ALS may very well pour a bucket of cold water on his opponent's efforts. This will be a battle for the ages. I wish both competitors good luck."

Estel Goffinet, Intrepid and Dark Tower World Record Holder
"The Allen Off will be epic. Of course my prediction is although it will be a close one, Mr. Staal will dominate this one. He has more game time invested, more skill, and has already broke the 900K barrier that has eluded Brian."

Jeremy Young, Donkey Kong Forum Referee and Statistician
"Both players have experienced an equally slow burn in their skill progression, but when the heat is on Brian has consistently cooled Allen's fire."

Chris Teter, Multiple Arcade World Record Holder
"The answer is Brian. Count on Allen to be Allen."

Shane Sawle, Australian Kong Off Champion
"Either player could win, but given the way Allen has been playing lately, he will take the crown this time. He's really hungry for the win after missing out at the Kong Off."

Joe Jackmovich, Multiple Video Game Record Holder
"ALLEN WINS - Can't beat Straya's best."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:30:16 am by WCopeland »

Offline Flobeamer1922

• Elite Member
    • My YouTube channel
    • Awards
Re: ALLEN OFF 2017 ANNOUNCEMENT
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:31:18 pm »
Kreygasm
PBs:
Donkey Kong - 1,032,100 (22-1)
Donkey Kong Junior - 79,400 (4-2)
Donkey Kong 3 - 344,200 (Stage 22)
Crazy Kong Part II - 645,400 (22-4)

I occasionally stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/flobeamer1922
Member for 6 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:43:31 pm »
It all depends.  If Brian Allen plays, then he'll win the Allen Off.    If Brian Allen doesn't play, then Allen Staal will win the belt by forfeit.  Still, Staal has really upped his game as of late.  So you never know.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 10:28:34 pm »
omg this is incredible
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:43:34 pm »

Omg, I'll be grabbing extra Christmas Beers this year!!  Kreygasm Kreygasm

Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:15:50 am »
Oh my
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:57:09 am »
Changing one more thing: for every KS achieved during the event, the charity donation to Doctors Without Borders will increase by $50.

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:12:17 am »
If either gets a million I’ll donate 200 to dwob.
Member for 7 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 07:46:07 am »
Quote from: Vincent Lemay
I think Allen Staal will win, because Allen is the Rocky Balboa of Donkey Kong.

Quote from: Sunshineosaurus
Allen Staal has the grit, determination, the immeasurables. Off the field intangibles. You can't teach it

Vincent and Wags know
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:32:32 am »
Amazing. Event of the century.

Get your   <popcorn>, fellas

Have we got confirmed attendance from both parties?
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 01:23:50 pm »
"To Be a man, you gotta beat the man. You gotta walk that aisle, style and profile!! Woooooo!!" <Allen> FailFish <Billy> <popcorn>
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 02:07:45 pm »
How does one buy the movie rights to this event? I'm interested.
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 02:09:43 pm »
Australia is not pictured on the belt, this is likely a form of subtle foreshadowing; Brian Allen 2017.

EDIT: I just realized the Pacific Northwest is also not pictured on the belt, gonna have to wait and see! : o
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:11:27 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 02:16:05 pm »
Australia is not pictured on the belt, this is likely a form of subtle foreshadowing; Brian Allen 2017.

EDIT: I just realized the Pacific Northwest is also not pictured on the belt, gonna have to wait and see! : o

If Allen wins he'll want his own flat-earth edition of the belt.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer