Author Topic: Welcome to DKF!  (Read 178011 times)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Welcome to DKF!
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2013, 09:42:15 am »
For the 2nd one, I can understand that both could be accepted. But for the first one, without the comma, it means that I am in the action of reading carefully. With the comma, it's an order saying to read carefully. And the meaning of your sentence was obviously an order implying myself to start reading carefully.

And if you don't agree and still think that it doesn't need a comma, then you still need to add a "s" to "reads" if you don't use the comma, since "reads" is a present tense and conjugated with a third person pronoun.

It doesn't matter what you decide, you're checkmate! BOOM baby!  :D
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2013, 10:11:16 am »
And if you don't agree and still think that it doesn't need a comma, then you still need to add a "s" to "reads" if you don't use the comma, since "reads" is a present tense and conjugated with a third person pronoun.

You are correct, Vincent.

Without the comma, "Vincent read carefully" suggests past tense.

Then again, I liberally throw commas around, wherever and whenever I feel like it, so what do I know?

Maybe I should sign up for that seminar after all.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Kugyince

« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2015, 08:58:41 pm »
Hello. I'm some dirty console/PC peasant. I'm also the admin at some site that lets you play chinese checkers or something.

So what's this "Donkey Kong" I've been hearing about?

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2015, 12:23:19 am »
Hello. I'm some dirty console/PC peasant. I'm also the admin at some site that lets you play chinese checkers or something.

So what's this "Donkey Kong" I've been hearing about?
GREATEST....VIDEO GAME.....EVER

Well, arguably top 10.

G4TV ranked DK #15 top video game of all time, beating out the likes of Pong, BurgerTime, Galaga, Space Invaders, Ms Pac-Man, to name other arcade classics that made the list, and many many many other games from all platforms current and past.

Games Radar and Slant Magazine (whatever that is) didn't rate it at all in their top 100.  Games Radar gave Dark Souls the #1 slot, and Slant Magazine gave to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  Okay, LoZ:OoT is a great game. but Dark Souls #1 video game of all time?  Both of these lists seem a bit mis-guided.

Popular Mechanics ranked DK number 90 out of 100.

And that's where my google search to prove DK is worth playing ends.  You draw your own conclusions.  Or just find a cabinet in your area or download MAME and the rom, and start playing.  When you die on L1-1, come back here for some strategy guidance.  ;)
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Kugyince

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2015, 08:03:43 am »
Games Radar gave Dark Souls the #1 slot, and Slant Magazine gave to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Those lists seem awfully misguided. Ocarina of Time is a "good" game. Only "okay" when compared to other Zeldas. Slant must have been more concerned with populace vote than actual game quality. Giving Dark Souls the nod is a war crime. Maybe Games Radar was in need of the publicity?

Offline HugDD

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2015, 12:20:10 am »
Season's Greetings Fellow Donkey Kong Forum members!  :)  I'm Duc from Chicago, IL, member 600 even as of this writing  ;)  Blue's my favorite color, so you'll be seeing quite a bit of it.  My background's a bit different than most folks as my family had the immigrant refugee experience when we were first sponsored in Salt Lake City, UT.  I had come from a fairly sheltered background, but fortunately, had access to video games and consoles.  I'd gotten to play arcade games in the public sphere every once in a while.  I remember quite fondly, the mid to late 1980s era of Atari 2600, and especially NES, in which I played the heck out of Super Mario Bros.

My family moved to Chicago during the early 1990s.  I credit my cool big brother and our uncle for getting me into gaming.  The former also got me into fighting games, and the latter, why, his game was Galaga, in addition to other classics.  In the present day, I patron establishments that have sought to revive the arcade gaming phenomenon.  Things of course, aren't the same as they once were, when the arcade scene pretty much died down in the city when the last arcade closed in December of 2007.  Now, we're lucky to have the bar/arcades in Chicago, and the freeplay ones in the suburbs, such as the Galloping Ghost Arcade and the Underground Retrocade, Level 257, and a cool, long, long standing arcade that's even further away, Star Worlds Arcade.

Recently, I streamed some classic arcade games at the Ghost.  I'll link the archives below.  Big thanks to Jeff Harrist for bringing us all together in this fine medium, in which it seems, we're all diverse in our experiences, backgrounds, preferences, and even our hobby of video gaming.  It was great meeting you sir, during the spring of 2013, that Friday of Mark Alpiger's Classic Arcade Gaming Tournament, at the original Logan Hardware location (it's now James Zespy's awesome bar arcade Logan Arcade, while the record shop got located a few blocks west on Fullerton Ave).  Cheers everyone!  <popcorn>

Recent streams at Galloping Ghost Arcade on 23rd/24th February 2016:

http://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade/v/49732023 (Centipede, new personal best of 786k)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:09:40 pm by HugDD »
My best streamed Centipede game https://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade/v/51955812 -786k

I guess it's about trying to live a life where I'm not contributing to the cruelty in the world...While I am on this planet, I want everyone I meet to know that I am grateful they are here - Jessica Chastain
Member for 8 Years

Offline Gettysburg1863

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2015, 01:28:42 am »
Duc, nice streams! Happy Holidays to you as well...always good to see you around the various streams!
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline blackraven15

• I usually just quietly lurking
    • My UV Multimidia Art
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:58 am »
Hello All :)

I guess I should have posted here a long while ago haha - I just wound up jumping right into DKF haha

So who am I - well aside from being Sock's other half my name in Nina and I'm a spazzy hippy chick who loves video games (even though I really suck at playing them)

I've been following John's adventure with remix and figured if i'm gonna be a DK widow I might as well join in all the fun :P Though honestly I feel like i've gotten to know quite a few of you watching you all stream along side Sock and to be honest I really love the vibe here here on DKF - you are all great people ^_^

I really haven't been playing Donkey Kong long - I started when Sock begged me to play test remix haha so I've only been at it off and on for a few months - though I WANT to get better hee so I'm trying to compete agasint myself to keep bringing up my Highschore !

Aside from being a spazz, I am dyslexic and also have major dexterity issues in my hands due to a TFCC tear - please do not mind my terrible spelling / typing :P

I am so very happy to have met many of you and muchly looking forward to meeting more of you!

Nina
Willow / Sock's other half

Higest DK Remix score default setting 64 180 (April 19 2018)

Twitter: @donkeykongremix
https://www.facebook.com/donkeykongremix/
Member for 8 Years

A_D_BLAIR

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2016, 08:57:46 am »
Hello everyone. My names Andy. Thanks for adding me to your forum!

I'm currently building a RaspberryPI machine with classic Nintendo controls  to run a form of mame to play donkey kong. My hopes are to eventually start making decent scores on the machine and then eventually try and achieve something on an actual Donkey Kong cabinet.

Living in Syracuse New York the closest arcade I can find with a DK machine is in Binghamton (about an hour or so away). It's called Robot City Games, great place. Definitely look it up. In the meantime I'll plug away practicing and try not to be a nuisance on here!

My current scores stay around 40,000 to 50,000 with one lucky game at 98,400. I will try and get on making a real submission as soon as I figure the twitch/stream thingy.

Again, thanks for letting me join!

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2016, 09:09:06 am »
Kreygasm

Welcome, sir! 98k is a good start :)
Plenty of info and people here to help you, if so desired.

Love it!
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:32 am »
Welcome sir! I do believe there's a working machine somewhere near you  <Tim> <Tim> <Tim>. Although it might be hard to play (for a few reasons).  Keep on the grind, and post some pics of your project (maybe even start a project thread).
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2016, 11:21:03 am »
welcome! enjoy your stay :)
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2016, 02:21:08 pm »

Welcome on board Andy

Good luck getting as high as you can get

Kreygasm
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2016, 10:48:51 pm »
Welcome Andy! I started playing DK on a Raspberry Pi as well about the time I found Donkey Kong Forum. About a month later, I got my first Donkey Kong cabinet, and now I have several arcade cabinets including 2 Donkey Kongs.

If you have a PC, I would recommend that you try playing DK on a version of Wolfmame, MARP, or Retro Uprising. Playing on your PC allows you to easily stream your games to Twitch and the community will gladly help you with strategy and whatnot. That and watching other players play are the best ways to learn! Streaming from the Raspberry Pi is possible (and possibly complicated) with a capture card or a webcam, but if you ever want to submit a score, you won't be able to do it on your Pi.

Hope to see you playing, progressing, and enjoying DK!
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

d!zZy

« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2016, 05:53:49 am »
Hello DKF!

I'm Chris(topher) from Germany and relatively new to Donkey Kong and the whole Arcade Madness ;D I'm 26 years old and have grown up with two older brothers so I've played many classic games from the 80's up to today on many systems like SEGA Megadrive, NES, SNES, Dreamcast, C64, PC etc.

Arcades were and are very rare here in Germany so I visited my last one when I was like 10 years old and were on holidays in the Netherlands. From the day since I first saw a videogame I was fascinated with the technology and the hobby. Today I'm making my money as a computer technican and fulfilling my live long dream of an own custom build arcade cabinet. I'm currently building an arcade bartop (sadly don't have enough space to spare for an upright cabinet :/ ) to play all the games I've missed in the past :) Currently I can already play on it with arcade controls from Sanwa. Maybe I will post some pictures if it's complete with all of the Artwork.

When I was searching after the best games for mame Donkey Kong popped directly into my sight and I downloaded it right away to play it. Oh boy, much fun times and many ragequits later I heard about The King of Kong, watched it on Netflix and since then I got hooked with Donkey Kong. I've read much of the threads in this board and my goal is to reach the legendary kill screen!

I don't know how much I can participate in this board cause I don't have really much free time due to my job. I just wanted to introduce myself shortly, so that no one will ask himself "Who the fuck is this d!zZy dude, always logged in and creeping the board!?"  ;D