Author Topic: Welcome to DKF!  (Read 177492 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Welcome to DKF!
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »
Ben, we can actually train both at one location: Did you know that the Chatterbox just off of Ford Parkway in St. Paul has a DK machine? My dad told me that they do, and insisted it was true, but I haven't checked it out for myself yet. Would be a great place to train. I would also be interested in meeting these MK64 and Bond players.

BTW, I will be going to this, you should see if you can come as well: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=269889
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

joshvox

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:40 am »
I guess this has become the sort of unofficial introduction thread--so my name is Josh, and I have been playing Donkey Kong on Mame on and off for about two years now. Never loved playing on a computer, but I did get some good practice in--and I'd average about 50,000. My goal was to get an arcade machine for my house so I could get serious about playing--which I was able to do a few weeks ago. (I have been following this declaration with the line "so my house is now cooler than yours," but since alot of you probably have DK cabs, I guess our houses are equally cool :) ) I have since reached 120,500 on my home machine, and now average around 75,000. I don't think I'll ever have the time to devote to a WR attempt, so my goal is to reach a killscreen someday.

Also, this is the basically the best forum ever. I'm bound to raise my high score about 100,000 points just by reading right?

corey.chambers

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 09:22:52 am »
Hi, Josh! Welcome to the best forum ever. I think that between reading the forum and watching others play on Twitch you can definitely improve your game. We have a high score list that may be of interest to you: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=246.0 You can click on the different player's names and be directed to their streaming page. There are some rules for posting a score on the list so you will want to familiarize yourself with it. Also watch Dean Saglio's game over and over, you will be sure to improve in no time: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=61.0

Once again, I want you to feel welcomed! :)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 11:28:39 am »
Also watch Dean Saglio's game over and over, you will be sure to improve in no time: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=61.0

Welcome!

I don't think that would be the best method at this point.  If you are trying to get through a Michael Crichton book, it doesn't help to get handed a Dickens novel.

I would say work on specific pain points of each stage, recognizing/avoiding danger areas for wild barrels on x-1, x-3, x-5 boards and avoiding bad barrel combinations by steering properly, working on recognizing what type of actions are best suited for success when the general universal start methods break down on x-2 and x-6 and getting comfortable running the maxed elevator stages. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:32:20 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 03:33:42 pm »
I would say work on specific pain points of each stage, recognizing/avoiding danger areas for wild barrels on x-1, x-3, x-5 boards and avoiding bad barrel combinations by steering properly, working on recognizing what type of actions are best suited for success when the general universal start methods break down on x-2 and x-6 and getting comfortable running the maxed elevator stages.

That's good advice, Steve.  I should follow it myself.

Welcome to the forum, Josh!

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

joshvox

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 03:44:17 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and advice everyone. I know that I must get better at the barrel and elevator stages before I can progress as a player. I'm fairly decent at the rivets and pie factory, or at least better than the other two. At least up to level 6. I can't recall, but I don't think I've ever made level 7.

One thing I have not yet figured out is how to avoid, as Steve says, wild  barrels. When I have watched the top players, they seem to know exactly where they a going most of the time, to the point where they can anticipate and jump/hammer them for points. I have tried several strategies, but none seem to work.

I also have to to learn on the elevator levels how to retreat. My eyes have trouble being in two places at once! But at least I know what I need to do, and can practice on MAME.

joshvox

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2013, 03:46:40 pm »
Hi, Josh! Welcome to the best forum ever. I think that between reading the forum and watching others play on Twitch you can definitely improve your game. We have a high score list that may be of interest to you: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=246.0 You can click on the different player's names and be directed to their streaming page. There are some rules for posting a score on the list so you will want to familiarize yourself with it. Also watch Dean Saglio's game over and over, you will be sure to improve in no time: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=61.0

Once again, I want you to feel welcomed! :)

I am new to the streaming thing too--that is completely awesome. Thanks!

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2013, 04:26:29 pm »
Hey josh I'm sure you will progress quickly now your hear.
When I got he my PB was about 130000 in the past 2 months I've progresses to 298700,
Practice and watch people and read the previous threads, soon you will be saying I'm fine on the barrels and springs but the pies and rivets keep screwing me over.
Have fun and good luck with it all
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 08:56:01 pm »
Josh, some may say not to watch Dean. But to be honest, I learned how to play by watching dean. I watched during dinner, before bed, while in the tub, 5 min here, and 30 min there, I would replay parts over and over and pause and think about it, observe safe spots etc. Sure, I agree that this may not be for everyone but we all grow differently. My advice comes from my own experience only because it may be yours as well, perhaps not, try it and see for yourself. (I also watched Billy Mitchell, Hank Chien, and Steve Weibe videos on youtube.) If you want a simpler, just running the boards kind of game, that does not go out of its way to point press then feel free to watch my killscreen game at http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/b/389301146. It was very simple and to the point.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:57:32 pm by corey.chambers »

joshvox

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2013, 04:53:51 am »
Hey Corey--watched some of Dean last night--very impressive. But I was coming here to ask for a "running the boards" type game I could watch. So thanks! There is still alot of stuff some may consider 'basic' that I have trouble with.

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2013, 06:55:06 am »
Ha.  That's the name of my blog on here, "Running Boards".  I would recommend watching danman123456's stream, since it is probably more the caliber that you are looking for.  He's a very good DK player, and is gunning for a killscreen.  Watching him play has helped my game a lot over the past couple of weeks. 
But, to be honest, there are all sorts of tremendous DK players here.  Watch them all, when you find time.  :P

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

corey.chambers

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2013, 06:42:38 pm »
Hey Corey--watched some of Dean last night--very impressive. But I was coming here to ask for a "running the boards" type game I could watch. So thanks! There is still alot of stuff some may consider 'basic' that I have trouble with.

You are welcome! You will find my "running the boards" killscreen game very straight forward. I did this on purpose just to get a killscreen. No extras. No point pressing. JRTFBDN, or whatever that is! lol

joshvox

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2013, 08:22:34 pm »
Been watching alot of video, already upped my PB today by almost 25,000 points. Also have been averaging nearly 100,000 per game, which is a big improvement for me. I'll be killscreening in no time  ;D

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2013, 06:44:33 am »
Welcome Josh! Yeah as JN said I'm in this mindset to JRTFBDN and get a KS now. It's driving me a little bit now so your more then welcome to watch anytime. There are a ton of great players here and call all give some advice. I've gotten some great info from people and I really think it has helped my game!

Here is some small bits that should help as well as anyone who may not know (and if I have anything wrong someone please tell me because this is just what I have picked up over the years now).

1. If a barrel is "spinning" when DK picks it up on the barrel stage that is a wild barrel.
2. He can only throw a wild barrel when he is facing to the left to "pick up" a barrel. Hence don't try and go up the far left ladder except when he has turned away to the center or right. This keeps you from getting "1/16th"
3. The conveyors on the PF stage change direction at the bottom when Kong reaches the far left of the screen.
4. The hammer on the conveyor lasts for as long as it takes kong to get back to the spot he was in when you picked it up.
5. The wild barrels on Stage 3/4 are the "wildest" (take a huge arc) but tend to go to the right easier.
6. The wild barrels on Stage 4 become Stage 5 wild barrels after 33 "real" seconds. This can be affected by wild barrels but a good rule of thumb is when the time starts getting the in the 6000 range (Thanks marky_d!)
7. To get a "free pass" or a "freebie" on the PF stand just left of the purse. When all the fireballs shoot out at the top left immediately attempt to run up the right side. (getting the prizes as well for a quick xxx point addition)

That's all for now :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:00:51 am by danman123456 »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2013, 08:30:52 am »
6. The wild barrels on Stage 4 become Stage 5 wild barrels when the timer hits 6000

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure the difficulty from 4 to 5 occurs 33 seconds into the screen.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer