Author Topic: Welcome to DKF!  (Read 177383 times)

Offline airlair

• Awards
Re: Welcome to DKF!
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2018, 07:56:00 pm »
Thanks for adding me.  I look forward to learning and improving my game.
Member for 6 Years

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2018, 08:01:03 pm »
Welcome!
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Flobeamer1922

• Elite Member
    • My YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2018, 10:55:35 pm »
Welcome! Best of luck to you on your DK journey!
PBs:
Donkey Kong - 1,032,100 (22-1)
Donkey Kong Junior - 79,400 (4-2)
Donkey Kong 3 - 344,200 (Stage 22)
Crazy Kong Part II - 645,400 (22-4)

I occasionally stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/flobeamer1922
Member for 6 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Rev John

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2018, 09:37:05 pm »
Hello!  I'm "Rev" John from Australia.  I've got a bunch of scores up on Twin Galaxies and Retro Uprising, so some of you might recognise my name.

I've been following the news with Todd Rogers and now Billy Mitchell, I certainly hope TG pull down a bunch of BM's scores.  It's all got me playing DK a bit more, and now I am really getting into the game.  I've found http://wiki.donkeykonggenius.com/Donkey_Kong_Basic_Manual really useful, and knowing some of the 'secrets' of the game is just adding to my enjoyment.  The only 'quirk' I don't like is how you can jump a barrel and not get points for it  >:( , but I'm aware that the same quirk can get you extra points like taunting Kong on rivets  ;D .  Currently I'm stuck on the level 4 elevator level (4-4?), I know I need to learn some tricky maneuvers to get past the springs at the top, I may need to see if I can set up a version of MAME that allows save states so I can practice.

Back in the day I think I only ever played DK once on an actual arcade machine, there was one in a sandwich shop where my sister used to work.  I remember I went very poorly and never played again until I discovered MAME.

Cheers all!  John
DK PB: 219,500 (MAME 7/10/19)
CK (RU): 140,200 (27/3/2018)
First person to score 500,000+ points on Atari 2600 Berzerk
Member for 6 Years

Offline Simon

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2018, 03:31:09 pm »
Thank you for adding me to DKF  :)
I'm 50 and from the UK and I've been playing since DK came out.
In those days all we had in the UK was the Japanese export (which were hard to find) and we were bombarded with the Crazy Kong bootlegs.
Hoping to beat my PB on the score board and post!
Member for 6 Years

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2018, 09:56:32 pm »
Welcome all.  Have fun and good luck with your konging
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2018, 05:42:39 am »
Welcome new folks! Good luck out there.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Dk_madness

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2018, 07:31:10 am »
Welcome new DKF’rs....Good luck to all  <Allen>
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener

Offline b4nd1t0

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2018, 08:18:43 am »
Hi to all, a forum dedicated to DK, great!!!!
Member for 5 Years

Offline Lum

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2018, 04:07:12 am »
I don't play games in ways you'd call 'serious', but the timing is right for me to see what's going on. The high score fuss and Arcade Archives put DK back in the spotlight. I've mostly played emulations of the NES port.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm also fond of Lum. The other greatest Japanese thing from out of the DK era. ;D
Member for 5 Years

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2018, 02:19:56 pm »
Welcome aboard Lum and bandito!

I had no idea what Lum was, apart from a chimney in Scots

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lang_may_yer_lum_reek

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline bradtech519

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2018, 08:56:11 am »
Hey guys thanks for adding me to the forum.  I played my first game of Donkey Kong yesterday 8/10/2018 at Cactus Jacks in Oklahoma City.  I have been watching streams on twitch & recordings on youtube of people playing.  I watched the King of kong documentary a couple months ago & after that I became interested.  I was born in 1982 so I do remember playing DK on the 2600 but never on an arcade cabinet. I've mainly been a PC gamer.  I played Quake 2 competitively for years in 4vs4 rocket arena on the ogl/twl ladders.

My high score yesterday was 17,400 after an hour of playing. I kept attempting to emulate the play of many others on L=01, L=02, L=03 and get the most points I could out of each level before moving on.  I've got it installed on my PC using a version of Mame but only have my keyboard to use at home.  I plan on attempting to get a good joystick desktop setup that might be similar to playing on the arcade.  My name on twitch is carn519.  519 is my old clan from the 90s.  I plan on streaming my early game play to youtube & twitch so I can track progression & watch my mistakes. 
Member for 5 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline 1971printer

• Awards
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2018, 01:57:39 am »
Hey everyone, just signed up after becoming interested in DK after watching a few YouTube Vids, King Of Kong, Chasing Ghosts etc. I was lucky enough to be around in the 'Golden Era' of arcade. Got myself a Pandoras Box 6 months ago and loving it!, really digging watching people playing live!

C U's around the place..

Mark, New Zealand.
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2018, 02:14:24 am »
Welcome!

Be nice to have a decent human being from New Zealand.
" Its not how you play the game but who you have backing up the bullshit."

From The Book Of Sczerby 2:18
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2018, 04:44:57 am »
Welcome mate always good to have more kiwis around Kreygasm

Ignore Jojo he’s the resident grumpy old man
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer