Author Topic: An actual accurate NES port of Donkey Kong! Testers wanted  (Read 11478 times)

WCopeland

Re: An actual accurate NES port of Donkey Kong! Testers wanted
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 07:11:35 am »
Quote from: Sumez
1. I can see the hammer really catches you offguard. As mentioned that might be an issue with the music, but I'll try to look deep into the code, compare with the arcade, and see if something could possibly be off.

The timing is probably correct, but it's most likely the audio cue is off. Again not 100% sure on this. Something is definitely off though.

3. On the elevator stage you're talking about "8 bit chaos". What's the issue here, the flickering, or the sounds cancelling eachother out? I think the latter can be fixed to some extend, I've already been talking to Svavar (being my sound guy :3) about this.

I was making a joke about the sounds cancelling out but it's not too major of an issue :)

5. Placement of the "100" is wrong? I had to move it a bit to account for the smaller sprite I used on NES, but I thought I got it right. Apparently not. :) I'll try to fix it. Is it the Y or X position that is off?

Yes, when leeching the fireball on the spring board it was definitely off. In the "100" sprite, I use that first zero as a guide to know where to stand. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/a/RQSzd You'll see that the first zero is flush with the platform.

Offline Sumez

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 08:34:21 am »
Hard for me to make out the exact position, but I'll fire up the original game and check it out! Thanks again. This is exactly the kind of nitpicking I've been looking for, which only crazy experienced players will notice.
Member for 6 Years

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 08:45:27 am »
This is great. Will give it a try on an emulator this evening.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Online Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 09:39:31 am »
I noticed something odd.  Not important for gameplay, but a graphical mixup.

The NES version is using the regular "0" through "9" characters for the bonus timer and is using the bonus timer 0-9 characters for the score/etc.   It's noticeable because Arcade DK has corrupted bonus timer numerals, like the number 2 and number 5 being misformed but the regular numbers used for the score are not corrupted.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline CrazyKongFan

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 12:42:30 pm »
I noticed something odd.  Not important for gameplay, but a graphical mixup.

The NES version is using the regular "0" through "9" characters for the bonus timer and is using the bonus timer 0-9 characters for the score/etc.   It's noticeable because Arcade DK has corrupted bonus timer numerals, like the number 2 and number 5 being misformed but the regular numbers used for the score are not corrupted.

I think the bonus timer numbers are correct. The only time the misformed ones are used are for 200 and 500 and they look that way on both arcade and NES. Those same misformed 2 and 5 are the ones used in the score on the NES version. I mentioned it in the chat the other night, but don't know if you saw it or not :D
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener

Offline Sumez

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 02:57:53 pm »
There's a logical explanation for that :)

Since the NES groups all palette data on the background in blocks of 16x16 pixels, I can't have the score one color, and the "1UP" text another color unless I use characters with different palette entries, so it made sense to use the ones intended for the bonus timer. Again, otherwise I would have to add additional graphics to the ROM.

I guess I can add that one to the list of stuff I'd consider doing if I expand the game to use bank switching of data :)
Member for 6 Years

Offline Darryl1970

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 05:39:39 am »
This is really great. Very impressive. I play up to the Conveyor Belts, and the attention to detail seems to be there. Great job working around the system limitations.
I hope to check this out later, when I have more free time. Would love to fire it up on the NES, at least once!

As much as I appreciate the TRUE orientation, I would like to see a Horizontal conversion with as much attention to detail. I don't see me turning my TV on its side regularly.

Member for 6 Years