Author Topic: DK3 record harder to beat than the Galaga record?  (Read 16680 times)

Offline Flobeamer1922

• Elite Member
    • My YouTube channel
    • Awards
Re: DK3 record harder to beat than the Galaga record?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 05:57:39 pm »
Good thread.
PBs:
Donkey Kong - 1,032,100 (22-1)
Donkey Kong Junior - 79,400 (4-2)
Donkey Kong 3 - 344,200 (Stage 22)
Crazy Kong Part II - 645,400 (22-4)

I occasionally stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/flobeamer1922
Member for 6 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 05:23:19 pm »
I am waiting to hear a consensus on which record is harder to beat.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 05:39:10 pm »

I think it's pretty clear.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 07:29:10 pm »

Actually, no it's not.  Poking fun at someone doesn't count as an argument whatsoever.
If this was a college debate I would win by default because the other side refused to bring any evidence to the table.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:30:55 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 09:16:16 pm »

Actually, no it's not.  Poking fun at someone doesn't count as an argument whatsoever.
If this was a college debate I would win by default because the other side refused to bring any evidence to the table.

1) This isn't a college debate. And you brought opposition research to the table anyway.
2) I've added a poll to settle the issue once and for all.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 09:44:27 pm »
Poll  <Kuh>

I voted no, but its pretty close

-You get double the amount of lives in DK3
-Galaga is a wayyyy more popular/known game so you'd expect there to be a number of scores close to the record (although how many were actually done we'll never know)
-If it was easier to take down I think it would have been already. There's been no reports of any scores above 8m since the 80s. MAME WR is only 6.8m by the same person.
-DK3 appears harder to beat because you're so far in front of everyone else. Its just been played less and who other than yourself has played it enough to even try for the record. Most people get 1m and move on.
-If you miss in DK3 you are generally able to get out of it. Missing in Galaga a lot of the time is death.

Counter-arguments:

-You can take infinite breaks on stage 0 on galaga
-Bonus stages give a welcome break and are easy points for little effort

Riley loves it.

Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 02:44:22 am »
I am gonna have to vote no, just based on what's true for me personally.

I will never sniff being any closer than 20% of the way to either of these records, but of the two, I enjoy playing DK3 more, and if I HAD to pursue one, that's definitely the one I'd go for.

While DK3 can rile me up under some circumstances, I can also zone into it and float for long periods and feel pretty good.

With Galaga, there is not a moment where I don't feel constantly and insanely stressed over the threat of losing my doubled ship, or, if it's already gone, the naked, hungry desperation to get it back. I never feel at ease or "cruising", and it's gotten to the point where the explosion sound has an actual physical effect on my nervous system. This game can find and pull out rage that I didn't know I had.

See first 40 sec of this video, which, for me, is Galaga in microcosm: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/41724634
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 03:12:21 am »
See first 40 sec of this video, which, for me, is Galaga in microcosm: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/41724634

One of my favorite clips of all time. Thanks for that

Edit: this one is also good - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/43874378
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:14:45 am by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 04:57:19 am »
Alright, I finally got some arguments for Galaga!  Also one, I forgot about.  Getting that second man is very difficult once you lose one of your two men.  You can easily lose another man with single ship.
So yeah, the game is easy when you have two ships, and are doing what you're supposed to.  But if you screw up, the game becomes insanely hard at times.
So I am going to do something that'll surprise people.  Yes, Galaga is the harder record to break.
For me, I have no problem saying that.  It's a gold star record.  As far as golden age shooter games it's in the top two of shooter games.  Perhaps Galaxian gives Galaga a run for it's money.  Two million on Galaxian Arcade/MAME is crazy hard.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 06:01:24 am »
They are both great records on their own merit and are hard to fully compare

Even though the Galaga record is harder to break, it is much more likely to happen.

Offline The Galaga King

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 07:41:04 pm »

LOL. I totally see your point.  :D
Member for 6 Years

Offline The Galaga King

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »
Perhaps Galaxian gives Galaga a run for it's money.  Two million on Galaxian Arcade/MAME is crazy hard.

Again, I totally agree. The average Galaga player can't get 2M using dual ships and an additional 14 men in their arsenal, let alone 2M on Galaxian using nothing but a pea shooter that fires bullets at half the speed with enemies swooping down on you from one side of the screen to the other. Not a very forgiving game by far. Great thread btw George.  :D
Member for 6 Years