Author Topic: Chinese 60-1 ?? Or Nintendo switcher??  (Read 2831 times)

Bigcat76

Chinese 60-1 ?? Or Nintendo switcher??
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:37:00 am »
I just wanted to know everyone’s opinion on this, I’m at a crossroads. I have a family (wife and 2 kids), so I have to spend wisely! I have an original DK cab, 3 other arcades, no more room.. (wife will divorce if I get another)...soo I just want to spice things up. Should I get a 60-1 off mikes Arcade for a Nintendo cab or just a Nintendo 2 game switcher? I do have a DK jr board now. Your opinion would be nice...(I also have a DK jr marquee, bezel, control panel to switch if I want to...

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Chinese 60-1 ?? Or Nintendo switcher??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:37:33 pm »
Mike's and Quarter Arcade have the higher quality 60-in-1's if you end up going that route.  I don't have experience with other games on the 60-in-1's, but I've played Donkey Kong on the icade 60-in-1's at a couple different locations, and while they are very good, there is a slight bit of lag to them.  Probably not noticeable to most, but to those of us that have poured countless hours into playing on a legit PCB, it takes a bit of adjustment to get into a groove with the slight bit of delay.

I mean, it's probably a matter of a couple frames, but again, I notice it.

Maybe I'm crazy tho.

All that is to say, if you're wanting the wider selection of titles and don't think what I've said will be an issue, then 60-in-1 is probably the best option.  If the wider selection of titles isn't that attractive and you prefer authentic feel, then go with a switcher.

My $.02.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Bigcat76

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:05:37 pm »
I was afraid of that... if one game is like that, could be more.. I would notice..thank you. That should have been my question. Has anyone played a 60-1 board... there’s only like 8 games I care about on it anyway.

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:55:32 am »
I occasionally give them a go when I encounter one somewhere, so I couldn't tell you which brands/models they were...
But I've experienced some inexplicably baffling degrees of lag first-hand.  As a programmer, I can't even envision how they managed to pull off such lag if it wasn't deliberately programmed in.   Or the makers really, really, REALLY didn't care about their product.

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but how would you know you're getting the good one?

(edit: For what it's worth, emulators generally sample the inputs *once* per frame, before a frame happens, then process/generate/compose that frame.  Then display it.  On real hardware, the inputs are totally dynamic.  If you moved the joystick right before the code that is executing checks it, it's already there to see.  No delays before an input registers and no additional delays between generating a frame and it appearing on the screen.)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:16:18 am by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:02:28 am »
The one I most recently played was an "icade" xx-in-1.  It was set to dedicated donkey kong, in a DK cab but had an icade splash screen.  And, while I noticed a very slight delay, by L3 or so I had adjusted, and again, I think the average player would never noticed.

I believe those are the ones that Mike's and Quarter Arcade and High Score Saves sell, which I've also read elsewhere are the best offerings available (the one's at Mike's, QA and HSS).
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Bigcat76

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 01:45:58 pm »
Thanks, appreciate the info... no 60-1 for me.. I’m all set, except I need a switcher/ so the Cambridge 2/1, so it’s safe to just send a money order to this guy? He won’t contact me back.

Bigcat76

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 03:19:28 pm »
I did get a 19-1 for my Kung fu Master cab. Haven’t plugged that in yet, anyone play one of those? I got it from highscoresaves, lot of cool horizontal games, Defender, Gradious, SMB, joust...