Author Topic: Am I the best all around player of the 3 Donkey Kongs?  (Read 43806 times)

giv

Re: Am I the best all around player of the 3 Donkey Kongs?
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2013, 07:50:20 am »
 DKjr math.

giv

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2013, 07:56:07 am »
BTW I would put Allen ahead of George L  on this ...

Good one, Brian. You got me that time.

Simpsons99

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2013, 08:29:29 am »
I give marky Credit for not saying anything in here...  I have a pretty good idea he has been reading all of this.

He is allways readings posts and watching others playing.. Ben Falls was playing DKJR ...  There was Marky sitting and watching and chatting.

Next to never see George doing this other then a Richie's Arcade show.
maybe i'm wrong but who knows?

I try to do the samething go around and watch others playing and help them when i can!

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2013, 08:31:55 am »
Math wise though I still am correct.  9 times out of 10 the math says I am the best at the 3 titles no matter how you crunch them.

I agree the thread is insignificant, however I'm still confused why you take a % after just looking at straight rank which takes into account any weight already since the quantity of submissions handles that aspect.

I went into all 3 scoring sites, found the top score on all 3 games you or Mark have achieved and I used that score in conjunction with total submissions across all sites.  Marky won by < 10.  What is the issue with that logic?
I agree Steve.  You are using BOTA scoring of the sum of ranks which is the nationally recognized way of determing overall performance across games.  So if you're going to engage in this pointless exercise, that's the way to do it. 

Even that probably gives DK3 way too much weight though.  Otherwise it ends up being a lot like claiming somebody is the best overall pitcher because he has the fewest balks even though his ERA is 6.89, or saying he's a better overall athlete than LeBron James because he can racewalk faster. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:34:07 am by gstrain »
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2013, 09:42:57 am »
What in the...I skimmed the last few posts, and they looked kinda complicated. It's too late to say "leave me out of this" I guess, but should I bother reading them? I mean, I don't care if I'm on any lists at all so I don't plan on disputing any results of any formula. Why am I always at the center of controversy??  :)
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2013, 09:53:49 am »
What in the...I skimmed the last few posts, and they looked kinda complicated. It's too late to say "leave me out of this" I guess, but should I bother reading them? I mean, I don't care if I'm on any lists at all so I don't plan on disputing any results of any formula. Why am I always at the center of controversy??  :)

Just wait until the list sub forum is created and the Top 5 Moon Shuttle players thread gets created....you think you're embroiled in controversy now?!?!?!?
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2013, 09:58:23 am »
Just wait until the list sub forum is created and the Top 5 Moon Shuttle players thread gets created....you think you're embroiled in controversy now?!?!?!?

fk
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

giv

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2013, 10:27:47 am »
He is allways readings posts and watching others playing.. Ben Falls was playing DKJR ...  There was Marky sitting and watching and chatting.

I try to do the samething go around and watch others playing and help them when i can!

Yes Brian, you're a big help.

But why on Earth would I be watching DKjr? I'll watch Ben patrol the moon. Listen to some queensryche.

Simpsons99

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2013, 11:40:24 am »
I'm  not speaking of you .

Yes Brian, you're a big help.

But why on Earth would I be watching DKjr? I'll watch Ben patrol the moon. Listen to some queensryche.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2013, 12:23:16 pm »
I agree Steve.  You are using BOTA scoring of the sum of ranks which is the nationally recognized way of determing overall performance across games.  So if you're going to engage in this pointless exercise, that's the way to do it. 

TY For saying that. 

Fun fact:  I actually developed the intracacies of the BOTA scoring system in the middle of doing a workout video.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2013, 01:07:50 pm »
Good to know there are people who think other wise than I do.  So it seems like a good majority of people still don't think I am the best overall of the 3 Kongs.  I guess I'll keep on trucking along.

Yeah, I guess if you go straight by adding ranking without adding weights I lose that one.  You can argue it's not the most mathematically accurate, but fair enough.  At least there is one way I lose out math wise.

Hey, I think the adding rankings also works out in Brian's favor as well.   Sounds fair enough.  I admit defeat.  Ranking wise Mark Kiehl, and a few others like Steve Wagner, Mark Kiehl, Billy Mitchell, Steve Wiebe, Brian Allen.

Yep, I jumped the gun on this one.   Thank you for showing me the error of my ways! 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »
George, one of the aspects of how I ranked you and Mark (and, really, in the end, I think you guys are basically neck and neck) was how certain I was that Mark could play well on DK3 if he ever tried. If Mark could get 1m+ on 5-man settings in like under a month (and, I honestly think he could), then it actually significantly matters whether or not he even cares about playing the game. There may be a big element to this debate about actual vs latent scores/abilities and at what point do you not factor in latent abilities that could easily and quickly be tapped. If he could get 1m in a week, is there a good argument? How about if it took a month? A few months would start being too long IMO. See what I mean? This would all apply to my ranking of Dean as well. It's all pretty iffy with Mark even moreso, since I haven't seen him play DK3 specifically, but I know he is great at mastering diverse games in general. So I'm kinda going on a little inductive speculation, I'll admit.

As far as the weighting of the games goes, from what I know of the games, I think a more fair weighting of DK:DKjr:DK3 5-man would be closer to something like 6:5:4.

Edit: Thinking about it now, for the 'latent abilities' argument, what would matter most is actually attempts and not time. So that would probably work against Mark a little more.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:25:28 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2013, 02:18:55 pm »
I should start a thread called, "Am I the worst all around player of the 3 Donkey Kongs?".  Well, because I am.  I suck at DK (high score of 200K+), I blow at DK Jr (can't make it off of L=2, no joke), and there's no hope for me when it comes to DK3.  Just wait until I finally get my stream going... then I can prove myself worthy of being the worst. 

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Simpsons99

« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2013, 02:24:06 pm »
Nah I've been there.. Keep going!
I should start a thread called, "Am I the worst all around player of the 3 Donkey Kongs?".  Well, because I am.  I suck at DK (high score of 200K+), I blow at DK Jr (can't make it off of L=2, no joke), and there's no hope for me when it comes to DK3.  Just wait until I finally get my stream going... then I can prove myself worthy of being the worst.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
If Mark could get 1m+ on 5-man settings in like under a month (and, I honestly think he could),

Really, really?  Tell you what, before making assumptions.  Why don't you just for fun play the game on MAME Medium settings at least a few times.  Want don't you look up the former record holders just for fun.  Dwayne Richard, and Shawn Cram.  Why don't you see some of  their other scores?  They have scores that take more than a month to get a record in.
Oh, I could see him getting a million on Marathon settings in two weeks if he wanted to.  But that is different than 5 man settings.  Marathon gives you 37 men.  5 men of course gives you 5 men.

I can't believe that after all the time I have spent on getting my Donkey Kong 3 scores to where they are at, that I get a statement that someone who has almost never played the game can get 5 man on presumably Arcade settings in less than a month.

Maybe he can do it on Easy settings, but he definitely is not doing it on MAME Hard settings.   Marinomitch that statement is disrespectful to anyone who has taken this game somewhat seriously.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener