Author Topic: What's the music in Donkey Kong?  (Read 6196 times)

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
What's the music in Donkey Kong?
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:30:54 am »
Does anyone else get a sense of familiarity when they hear some of the tunes in Donkey Kong?
Like the music is similar to, or inspired by other music?

I've heard that the intro music when Kong is climbing the ladders at the beginning of the game is based on the theme music from Dragnet:

Maybe not as obvious, but once you hear it you can't unhear it...  The music that plays when the 1st rivets screen is completed is totally the opening from Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant":

I never made a connection before, but after hearing a variation of Donkey Kong's "How high can you get?" tune between stages in Sky Skipper, it immediately struck me that this sounds very familiar... and then Billy Joel's "Don't Ask Me Why" started playing in my head:   (edit: This song was released as a single and playing on the radio at the time DK was being developed!)

I bet the game's programmers used other music as inspiration for the tunes in Donkey Kong.

Could the music from Rivets 2 also be inspired by some other song?
Or the other end-of-barrel-stage music?  The hammer tune??  The death sound???
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:34:35 pm by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: What's the music in Donkey Kong?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:51:55 am »
Wow, this is really interesting.

I could have sworn there was a yt video where someone did a a fairly indept analysis of the music in dk but couldn't find it. I also remeber a poster (maybe on here?) who apparentley found hidden music within the code iirc.

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:02:04 am »
The video might make an interesting watch. I'll see if I can find it.

I found a web page with some information about the hidden/unused music in DK.
http://tcrf.net/Donkey_Kong_(Arcade)#Unused_Music

Those too, sound familiar... but maybe it's because they share themes with DK's other music?  But it'd be interesting if they also borrow from other music.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 02:39:02 pm »
On a side note - is there a name for the score font on these games?
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:40:36 pm »
I think Dave McCrary made the connection between DK's music and some sort of classical piece of music (something by Bach?) he used to play on guitar. I've always thought that maybe there was some connection between DK's and Wizard of War's intro music.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 07:31:10 am »
I always thought the music played during barrel boards closely resembled the bass line to The Ballad of John and Yoko.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:56:35 pm »
I always thought the music played during barrel boards closely resembled the bass line to The Ballad of John and Yoko.

It really does, doesn't it.  I realized it also sounds an awful lot like Don't Be Cruel by Elvis Presley:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:32:48 pm by Sock Master »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 08:04:59 pm »
The barrel tune is a pretty standard riff blues/rock riff you could probably find in dozens of songs from '50s and '60s. It's a little more rhythmically frantic in DK, but the pitch progression is pretty common...so common that I doubt it could be nailed down to (or was inspired by) one particular song. The hammer tune is basically just a bugle call. I don't think it matches any US Army bugle calls, but there are countless bugle calls out there.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 08:44:58 pm »
Donkey Kong 3 also has it's own sounds that it gets from popular music.

The bees sound are a version of flight of the bumblebee.
DK3 Bees

Flight of the Bumblebee

The super spray is from the Camptown Races song
Super spray

Camptown Races song

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Svavar

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 06:02:11 am »
I think Dave McCrary made the connection between DK's music and some sort of classical piece of music (something by Bach?) he used to play on guitar. I've always thought that maybe there was some connection between DK's and Wizard of War's intro music.

I am almost 100% sure it's from classical music. This music goes way beyond video games or television.
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer