Author Topic: Is 1,218,000 on DK the most difficult to beat beatable real Arcade score?  (Read 20879 times)

Offline SanTe

• Awards
I believe that the Donkey Kong world record is THEE gold standard when it comes to video game world records...period.

Here are some reasons why:

1. The sheer difficulty of the game right off the bat (could be Game Over in the very first minute! <Billy>).

2. The famous beyond your control RNG that can steal all of your lives on one riviot board (mostly due to lack of skill Kappa)...100 points shy of beating the world record (Lakeman lits it).

3. Enduring 3+ hours of some of the most intense mental toughness known to man.

4. The hand-eye coordination mixed in with the on the fly decision making connected to the RNG can get pretty rough.

5. The size of the player pool and world-class competitiveness on this game is in a category by itself.

6. I am confident that the best Donkey Kong players could go out and obliterate some of these other world records that people say are harder to beat.

7. Who has not heard of Donkey Kong?!

I am sure I left out some important points that would further vindicate my belief...but whatever...I am not getting graded on this Kappa.

Please—show me a video game world record (not some obscure, unrealistic piece of garbage where only a select few play it while working in Roswell) that is harder to beat than the Donkey Kong world record.

If you can find a legitimate contender, I will retire from playing Donkey Kong and go play that...

Actually, forget about this post...

I forgot about TUGBOAT Kreygasm ROFL.

This is the funniest, most deluded CAG post I've read in years.  Thanks!   ;D

Seriously, you guys need to get out more.
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline SanTe

• Awards
When Robbie and I played DK on marathon settings in Banning

Unless you're playing on a hacked DK ROM set that fixes the kill screen, there is no such thing.  Claiming otherwise is an insult to real marathoners.

Offline SanTe

• Awards
Oh wait, almost forgot.  Here's four more for you:

Black Widow     930,100     100.00%     James Vollandt     1984-05-01
Track & Field     95,350     100.00%     Hector T. T. Rodriguez     2009-01-23
Millipede     10,627,331     100.00%     Donald Hayes     2005-02-07
Dig Dug     5,429,010     100.00%     Donald Hayes     2017-04-11

Actually, I'd put that Black Widow score tied for #1 with Carnival.

There are plenty of CAG records that are technically beatable but are near their theoretical maximums.  People who think DK is the end-all-be-all in that department have spent way too much time playing DK and not enough playing anything else.

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
No love for the 15,999,990 Galaga score?

No one (that I've heard of anyway) has been over 10m since. MAME record (by the same person) is only 6.8m

I don't play a lot of the other games mentioned so maybe I can't appreciate their top scores as much as I should

:)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Pole Position?   <YSG>

Also I'll echo Track and Field.  Such a unique physicality to the controls.  Hec can answer this, but I'm not sure you can "learn" how to get up to WR speeds on standard arcade controls.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline timhett

• Awards
I wasn't going to say anything, but SanTe mentioned the Millipede WR...  Current record is an 8 hour game.  Longest possible "break" would be about 2 seconds, maybe 6 or 8 seconds if you let a few men die.  Pretty generous with extra men, but you can only have 6 at a time and they can go very quickly.  You have to be extremely focused for the entire time playing, it's very intense physically and unrelenting, very fast with lots happening on screen.  Not saying it would be impossible to beat (hopefully possible...) but it's a serious undertaking.
Everyone has a game they think would be super hard to beat, and many games not mentioned that would be hard to beat.  I suspect that as the hobby continues there will be more scores that are more or less "maxed out." 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:44:09 am by timhett »
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing

WCopeland

Unless you're playing on a hacked DK ROM set that fixes the kill screen, there is no such thing.  Claiming otherwise is an insult to real marathoners.

Why would I claim otherwise? That's precisely what we were doing.

"Real marathoners" -- Robbie has a marathon WR so I'm not sure what your angle is here.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:17:31 am by WCopeland »

Offline SanTe

• Awards

Why would I claim otherwise? That's precisely what we were doing.

"Real marathoners" -- Robbie has a marathon WR so I'm not sure what your angle is here.

Donkey Kong [No Kill-Screen! (The Real King of Kong)]
"No results found."

Also, it's been long established in this hobby that a marathon is any single credit game that is longer than 12 hours.  Did that happen?  If so, my apologies.  I don't go to Banning or TG events in general since I think their current way of doing things is stupid.  But if a 12-hour+ game of DK happened I'm surprised I haven't heard about it.  I don't do Facebook either but I'm sure it would have been mentioned on any one of the half dozen or so arcade-related forums I check at least semi-regularly.

Offline SanTe

• Awards
Pole Position?   <YSG>

OP said beatable.  Based on what I know and have seen, if Les and Mike were indeed playing on the same settings as the rest of us then Les played the perfect game, IMO.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Pole Position?   <YSG>

OP said beatable.  Based on what I know and have seen, if Les and Mike were indeed playing on the same settings as the rest of us then Les played the perfect game, IMO.

Richie seems to think it's beatable.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

WCopeland

Donkey Kong [No Kill-Screen! (The Real King of Kong)]
"No results found."

Are you implying that if it's not on TG that it never happened? I have tons of unsubmitted scores. After all the trouble that TG has given me, it's probably going to stay that way.

I'm seeing some conflicting things in your posts. First, the definition of a DK marathon is playing on no-KS roms, in which multiple 2m+ scores have happened between Robbie and myself. Second, the definition of a DK marathon is a 12hr+ game. Is it both? I am but a lowly DK player, so please provide illumination here.

Offline SanTe

• Awards
Are you implying that if it's not on TG that it never happened? I have tons of unsubmitted scores. After all the trouble that TG has given me, it's probably going to stay that way.

No, I'm saying I had never heard of anyone marathoning DK since even the longest games are no longer than 4 hours, and a marathon is at least 12 hours.  You said you and Robbie were playing on hacked ROMs to eliminate the killscreen, so I went to TG to see if they had a track for it, and they do, but there are no scores listed.  Based on the only information available to me, there have been no DK marathons to speak of.  Again, if someone had played a 12-hour+ game of DK I'm confident that we all would have heard about it.

So claiming you are marathoning DK is, IMO, an insult to real marathoners.  Clear now?

I'm seeing some conflicting things in your posts. First, the definition of a DK marathon is playing on no-KS roms

No, the commonly accepted definition of a DK marathon, of any marathon in this hobby, is a 12-hour+ game on a single credit (and 24-hours+ is an "ultra marathon").  You're the one who is conflicting information, unless you have had a 12-hour+ game of DK.  If so, then congratulations.  I still wouldn't put that up there in the most-difficult-to-beat department as long as an 8-hour+ game of Millipede exists.  And by that measure technically there have been no Millipede marathons, either.  But I do hold that score in high regard regardless of the time involved; I don't see anyone else beating it anytime soon, if ever.

I am but a lowly DK player, so please provide illumination here.

Don't be arrogant.  I take issue with your use of the word "marathon" in the context of DK, as I feel it is disrespectful of what it means to actually marathon a game.  That's all.

I've gotta go to work now.  I'll be home late tonight if you want to keep arguing that what you're doing is marathoning.

Offline Fly

• Awards
Pole Position?   <YSG>

Also I'll echo Track and Field.  Such a unique physicality to the controls.  Hec can answer this, but I'm not sure you can "learn" how to get up to WR speeds on standard arcade controls.

I'm glad someone else brought this one up. I didn't want to toot my own horn or pat myself on the back, but his one is super fkn hard. For starters, you would have eliminate contenders that cannot get better than 8.10 on the 100m. Speeds like that cannot be developed much beyond what you are born with. So that alone eliminates most of the population. And 8.10 is IF all other events are done to near perfection. Like 2.51 on HJ WITH the 1000 pt bonus. 99.49 Hammer. 9.72 LJ. 95M jav and 2 1000pt bonuses. And to this day, the only score higher than mine was on MAME and used a mouse foot pedal to jump Hurdles while doing 8 finger, a joystick on HJ and Buttons only for 100m.

I'm not saying it's the hardest score to beat, but by default, most people are eliminated from having a go at it right away no matter how much they play.

Hec
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
Interesting thread to say the least.

Lets be real for one second here all. ANY game that the score is a "legit" score on and not some made up, multi-credit insult from yester-year can get beaten. The point made by Serph and others is what other title in the CAG community has any level of people playing and attempting world record or even just high scores like DK has in the recent past? (Yes all due to KoK).  There are thousands of games everyone can start talking about how "Well this game is uber hard because of xxx" or "no my game is the hardest due to yyyy". Space Firebird can make a claim it's harder than ALL of these games since it had a 30 day bounty on it and no one got it so now what?

Sante I actually prefer the TGTS records over the marathon recorsd. You know why? Because that is more skill based to me than "I stayed up 45 hours so now you stay up 50 hours ok". Sure there are some impressive scores out there but if ANY of them got a serious following to beat they would be almost certainly be gone. This small microcosm of people playing games (even the elite guys that have some amazing skill) are not anything among BILLIONS OF PEOPLE in the world. Wanna see 1.25 million in DK? Put a 100k bounty on it. Wanna see 16 million on Galaga? KS on Jr Pac-Man? Score X on Game Y? Do the same... ANY of these scores if they are legit can be broken unless they are a maxout perfect score. Even that fake Robotron and Frogger nonsense would go down as well. Its really about having more than 3 people trying to get a record and even when just a few people get serious about it records tend to fall. Case in point Missile Command, Gyruss, etc, etc, etc

Am I trying to belittle any record or skill level now? Of course not. All the examples given are impressive iin their own rights. Hec your T&F score is a monster and yeah so is the Jr Pac-Man score and all of the other scores/records described here but these discussions almost never work out with anyone changing an opinion for the most part. At what point does DK get the same love? A 1.3 million score? 1.4 million? I'll tell you when. Never because someone always has their "Well this is harder see" answer to give and that applies to ANY game you discuss. This subject could be "Is 15.9 million on Galaga the most difficult to beat beatable real Arcade score?" - This discussion would almost certainly look exactly the same :)

P.S. - To clarify "marathoning" DK is playing on the No-KS Romset. You can try and equivocate that it can ONLY mean you must play DK for 12 hours before its "marathoning" but for most here that is not how it's described and its not an "insult" to any of the marathoners. Hell I've played Halo, COD and GOW for a lot longer than 12 hours in a row does that make me and elite marathoner everyone? :)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:54:50 pm by danman123456 »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger