Author Topic: Is 1,218,000 on DK the most difficult to beat beatable real Arcade score?  (Read 20816 times)

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards

Hey Chris, do you have a favorite in the Street Fighter series?  I seem to recall you don't sway much into the crossovers, such as X-men vs. Street Fighter.

I've got love for all of the SF2 series, SF Alpha series, SF4 series.  Not so much SF3 or SF5 or anything like the Tekken x Capcom or Tatsunoko x Capcom.  I own XMVSF and MVC boards, would like to get MSH and MSHVSF boards in my collection, and enjoy the crossovers up to but not including MVC2, but admittedly was never very good at the crossover series games and haven't put in anywhere near the time that I have on the SF2 series.  :)  If I had to pick a favorite, probably SF2: Hyper Fighting for single player, Super SF2 Turbo for versus play.  <pacman> <blinky>
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline BBH

• Awards
Can we talk for a second about how insane John McAllister's 1.23 million on Robotron 2084 5-man is? This is a score that will probably never receive the props and attention it deserves. Even though Robotron is not a game that technically has a theoretical limit like Donkey Kong, it's a game in which it is extremely difficult to survive for a long time, mainly due to the sheer difficulty and randomness of the brain waves.

To put things into perspective - nobody else has proven a score of over a million on 5 lives. Abdner Ashman was in the mid 900's, my best is 875k. Playing it again in the BOTA, it was such a STRUGGLE just to get 700k. At least in the case of Donkey Kong, although Wes's 1,218,000 is getting close to the point where everyone feels the game is maxed out in terms of scoring potential, he at least has Robbie and Dean right on his heels. There's at least some competition there, with any one of those 3 players posessing the ability to someday squeeze a little more out of the game (and then you also have John and Jason making strides to hit that 1.2 million mark in the last couple months).

Robotron though? Who's going to step up and reach 1.2 million in THAT?
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
To put things into perspective - nobody else has proven a score of over a million on 5 lives. Abdner Ashman was in the mid 900's

I watched John and Abdner play H2H at Richie's some years back and it was arguably the most fun I've had in classic arcade gaming.  An awesome watch.  They played a best of 3 set.  John won 2 out of 3 matches and Abdner had the highest score with an 800 something IIRC, could have been lower though I forget.

I like that the games are very short which makes it more entertaining for me since I have a short attention span.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:41:39 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
OK, as far as the argument about McCallisters 1.2 million Robotron score.  I have my doubts.  Here are my reasons why.

1)  The game in Arcade is easier than MAME.  For instance, I hit over 200k probably over 20 times on Arcade practice.  On MAME with keyboard, I never hit 200k.  I never hit 170k on keyboard to be honest.  What does this mean?

It means that a person needs to get the machine or somehow get a two stick set up to make up for the handicap that is found on MAME.  So McCallister's numbers are sort of skewed because not everyone can legitimately play the game the way it was meant to be played.

2) Your 875k score.  You are someone who is known for putting up great scores on many, many games.  Because of that, you move from one game to the next.  You are not someone who is playing this game 3 hours a day, day in, and day out.  I remember when this game came out on Roulette a few months ago, and you said how it had been awhile since you played the game.   I don't believe you spent the time on this game like you did Shock Troopers.  In fact, your Shock Troopers score might be a harder score to beat than McCallister's 1.2 million 5 man Robotron.  My guess is that given that you are already at 875k, that if you were to play this game 3 hours a day that you would be able to break the record within a two month time period.  Sides, without much practice leading up to BOTA you have been able to hit 800k twice on Robotron, and the other time was over 725k.  If you play this game 3 hours a day on Arcade, you are bound to have a breakout game.

3) I don't think McCallister's playing this game, day in, and day out either on arcade.  So I think McCallister can probably do much better on this game because of that.

Having said that, I also think McCallister's score is an amazing score.  Definitely somewhere in the top 5 all time for any arcade score in my book.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
If you play this game 3 hours a day on Arcade, you are bound to have a breakout game.

You can get in a LOT of games in a single session on these settings as well. 

FWIW Mark Michaels on my BOTA team got his 300k something score during the tourney on keyboard in MAME, because our Robotron took a dump.  It was pretty cool to see, I've never seen anyone play it on a keyboard before.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline timhett

• Awards
If you play this game 3 hours a day on Arcade, you are bound to have a breakout game.

FWIW Mark Michaels on my BOTA team got his 300k something score during the tourney on keyboard in MAME, because our Robotron took a dump.  It was pretty cool to see, I've never seen anyone play it on a keyboard before.

Mark has done a million on keyboard, on hard settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-d2JcJ3a_o

Kreygasm
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
EXPERT KEYBOARD
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards

If he can get 300k on keyboard, then he probably can get at least 500k with a little practice.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

dwayne

i saw this and thought to chime in.   The crystal castles is definitely one of the hardest.  It is almost a perfect game from level 3 on to get the extra 10 K.

Donn Nauert's   cheyenne and crossbow scores are up there.

The 80 million on zookeeper.

Abners Jr pac score.

tutankham  996 000 on 3 plus one and one flash

star wars 6 shields david palmer 

720  score   lots of knowledge lost on that game

Everything is relative to effort expended.  If a game never gets played it will never get beat but  the skill level needed for those listed above is amazing.

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
Beating 5.4 million on Mario Bros.
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline EricLiddell

• 80's Arcade Rat
    • Awards

I'd have to say Johnny (The Machine) Macs 3.3M WR on Asteroids Deluxe is mind bogglingly insane. I've never heard of ANYONE who could flip an Asteroids Deluxe even BITD... That's just crazy talk. John made it look easy and ran it up to 3.3M before rounding off the score and calling it a day. Wanna see what a AD roll over looks like? Can we post links here?

Check out the cool free man glitch at 999,000. Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DG-GJENHgg
EzE in the place to be!
DK - 480,700 - 2009 Seattle Garcade
Member for 6 Years

WCopeland

I'd have to say Johnny (The Machine) Macs 3.3M WR on Asteroids Deluxe is mind bogglingly insane. I've never heard of ANYONE who could flip an Asteroids Deluxe even BITD... That's just crazy talk. John made it look easy and ran it up to 3.3M before rounding off the score and calling it a day. Wanna see what a AD roll over looks like? Can we post links here?

Check out the cool free man glitch at 999,000. Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DG-GJENHgg

Feel free to post links here. This place is all about having fun and isn't overly policed  <Pigger>

Offline BBH

• Awards
OK, as far as the argument about McCallisters 1.2 million Robotron score.  I have my doubts.  Here are my reasons why.

1)  The game in Arcade is easier than MAME.  For instance, I hit over 200k probably over 20 times on Arcade practice.  On MAME with keyboard, I never hit 200k.  I never hit 170k on keyboard to be honest.  What does this mean?

It means that a person needs to get the machine or somehow get a two stick set up to make up for the handicap that is found on MAME.  So McCallister's numbers are sort of skewed because not everyone can legitimately play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Yes, I've said before that Robotron is a game that is easier on arcade than MAME. Not just because of control issues, but I also feel that there are still very tiny differences in the way the blitter spawns the Enforcers and Tanks, and that they spawn sooner in MAME... but that could just be a placebo effect. Yes, people that have access to a cabinet are at an advantage. There's a lot of games like this where having access to the original cabinet + control scheme puts you at an advantage over whatever you'd be trying to do in MAME (like Sinistar), unless you somehow have the original control panel wired up to your computer (which some people have done). That's just the nature of some arcade games. But it's not as if Robotron is an impossible game to find - sure it goes for high prices now (like everything else in this hobby lately), but the high production count means there were tons of cabinets out there, and it's a common fixture in home arcades and barcades today.

But anyway. Is the point you're making here that because the arcade version is a little easier, people just never have the opportunity to beat his score like they would in MAME? I mean, the game's been in three BOTA's. We had four groups of people throughout the US playing it a few weeks ago. Granted it was in a tournament with 11 other games, but it's been in several BOTA's where people have had the opportunity to play it on a cabinet. Of course, not every cabinet has sticks that feels as responsive as Ken House's cabinet (sorry to hear about the RK cab), but people had the chance to play it. And in not one of those three BOTA's has anyone broken 900k.

2) Your 875k score.  You are someone who is known for putting up great scores on many, many games.  Because of that, you move from one game to the next.  You are not someone who is playing this game 3 hours a day, day in, and day out.  I remember when this game came out on Roulette a few months ago, and you said how it had been awhile since you played the game.   I don't believe you spent the time on this game like you did Shock Troopers.  In fact, your Shock Troopers score might be a harder score to beat than McCallister's 1.2 million 5 man Robotron.  My guess is that given that you are already at 875k, that if you were to play this game 3 hours a day that you would be able to break the record within a two month time period.  Sides, without much practice leading up to BOTA you have been able to hit 800k twice on Robotron, and the other time was over 725k.  If you play this game 3 hours a day on Arcade, you are bound to have a breakout game.

Ok a lot to take in here, I'll address the Shock Troopers thing at the bottom of this post, lol.

No, I don't play Robotron regularly, because of my distaste for playing it in MAME (I was dying way too much when it came up in Roulette, but maybe I can partially blame that for having to do it under a distracting streaming environment and that is a game that does not give you much time at all between waves to read stream chat). But it's not as if I've never played the game before. I mean, I was too young for it when the game was new in the arcades but I sort of found respect for it on some PC port of Williams games in the mid-90's, even though the control scheme wasn't that good. Wasn't until sometime in the early 2000's that I saw a cabinet of it again at an arcade that decided to put in a few classic cabs and then discovered I had the skillset to be able to marathon the game on the default settings. As for those 800k scores on 5 lives, I've actually broken 800k a total of 4 times - twice during BOTA's, once during a pre-BOTA practice stream (I put the clip on youtube), and once on Chris Manfield's machine. And ya know, it takes a lot of attempts to finally get that one good game. At the point I'm at, having this "breakout game" basically comes down to being insanely lucky on brain waves, like I mentioned. There is never a good plan for these waves, and getting past one without dying is insanely rare past Wave 15. Having to do one of those every 5 waves means at least one very difficult death to avoid. And that's just assuming you don't get screwed by an Enforcer bullet on one of the waves somewhere before then! This might come off as a tiny bit dickish, but... as a 200k player you might not be aware of the difficulty of these later stages and just how difficult it is to consistently get by those later brain waves without one of the 5 deaths you're alloted.

3) I don't think McCallister's playing this game, day in, and day out either on arcade.  So I think McCallister can probably do much better on this game because of that.

Having said that, I also think McCallister's score is an amazing score.  Definitely somewhere in the top 5 all time for any arcade score in my book.

Oh yeah, he definitely doesn't play it that much, he's just very gifted at it. He barely played it at Ken's during BOTA, he played maybe a few games, got his 600k and moved on. Way less attempts to break 600k than I took. I don't know how much he was playing back when he got his 1.2 mil, he just kind of dropped it on everyone out of nowhere.

Now since you mentioned Shock Troopers, you give me an excuse to mention that lol. It's highly unlikely that unless I offered a cash bounty or something that anyone would ever come forward and beat my 32,703,800 on it. I've done my best to try to get people interested in playing it, always shared my info and uploaded replays and videos and streamed some score runs, but nobody was ever interested in playing it for score. Everything I figured out for that game was on my own since I had nobody to bounce ideas off of, just me chasing after a 31.3 million score reported in a Japanese magazine. But knowing what I know about the game, 32.7 million is not unbeatable in theory. Taking my highest scores from each individual stage puts together a score that's over 34 million, the problem is there's a lot of randomness involved in things like the point drop items from killing enemies. Kinda like the fruit in Ms Pacman. But then again, maybe better patterns for optimizing the clock in each stage are possible, it's why I've always tried to get people to play it, to get a fresh perspective from someone else, but nobody is interested in taking me up on that. So yes, that 32.7 million score will probably stand unless I get motivated enough to try to break it.

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Still given the time you put into Shock Troopers, and the time you put into Robotron I feel that your Shock Troopers score probably ranks higher for you than your Robotron score.   So if it ranks higher than your 875k on Robotron, than maybe it actually ranks higher than the 1.2 million on Robotron as well.  It's a shame no one has tried for a super high score like you.  Eventually someone will come along.  They do for all games.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline BBH

• Awards
Still given the time you put into Shock Troopers, and the time you put into Robotron I feel that your Shock Troopers score probably ranks higher for you than your Robotron score.   So if it ranks higher than your 875k on Robotron, than maybe it actually ranks higher than the 1.2 million on Robotron as well.  It's a shame no one has tried for a super high score like you.  Eventually someone will come along.  They do for all games.

Well yeah, obviously I'm more proud of my Shock Troopers score than my Robotron score, even if there is nearly nobody else on the planet who appreciates everything that went into it. But I still think McAllister's score is the more impressive feat, although maybe I'm just trying to stay modest. It's just such a standout score that is far and away above everything else people have done on the 5-lives track, and people have actually put in effort on those settings.