Author Topic: Level skip and stuff  (Read 1803 times)

Trihook

Level skip and stuff
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:34:26 am »
Hello there, this is my first post.

I'm not a speed runner, but I thought some of these tricks could help any speed runners out there.

When I was a wee little kid of about 5 years old, I had the donkey kong arcade and I played it for some time. This was around 1990. My memory is solid enough but please understand that the last time I played this game was 27 years ago. I don't know if you know any of these tricks but maybe it can help somebody. I don't know which version of the arcade I had, but it was not Japanese (i'd remember the kanji) and judging by the wiki it was prolly the original donkey kong. I do remember that bouncing off the walls will bounce mario the way he came, but on some console versions he will continue falling down.

The first one is a level skip on the first stage. At the start of the game, go right, and climb the ladder near the hammer. In this area if you wall jump from an exact spot and try to hit the bouncing wall as near to the ground of the lower level you can perform a level skip. I managed this a few times on the arcade and it wasn't really easy. Being a bit older and wiser now than then, I figure Mario gets enough vertical speed to go though the floor of the stage and end up on top somehow.

The second one is prolly already known. There are invisible elevators on the stage where Kong throws the bouncing things at you. They travel the same speed as regular ones do. Mind you, they're not always there. A couple of leaps of faith is all it takes to find them.

The third one I cant' even remember how I managed, but on the stage with the conveyors it is possible to get the hammer stuck on a wall so it smashes the rubble on the conveyor while Mario is free to move around on the level. All I can remember is that it was on the first conveyor from the ground and on the right hand wall. I know it was kinda easy to do because I kept doing it every time I played the game, but I really can't remember how I did it.

Anyway, I hope someone can pull these tricks off and post a confirmation, so I don't end up looking like some madman who believes in fairy tales. I don't have the arcade anymore and I'm not into speed running so this is as best as I can do. =S

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Level skip and stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:45:21 am »
It sounds like you may have been playing crazy kong wich has those tricks although the elevator one is news to me, unless there was some version of dk that still had those bugs in them ..Did the Japan romset have this? Someone here will know.

! No longer available

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Level skip and stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:11:28 pm »
We've seen the extra, invisible elevators in Big Kong.  I sort of wondered if maybe it was also in Crazy Kong but didn't bother to investigate it.

The theory:  Donkey Kong has 6 elevators.  Crazy Kong (and other bootlegs) have 3 because of sprite limitations.  But since they're hacks of Donkey Kong, the code may still be processing 6 elevators, just only displaying 3 sprites.

If I recall, what I figured for Big Kong was that the screen starts with 6 (more than 3 anyway) elevators being set as active, but only 3 of them have sprites.  When the 'invisible' ones reach their end-point (the bottom of the 2nd elevator pole) then they stop there and don't reset back as new elevators (bottom of 1st elevator pole)

So, they're only there at the very beginning of the screen and once they exit, they don't come back.  So you have to go fast and know where to jump to use the invisible elevators.

Anyway, that was the logic that I assumed about it.. I didn't actually investigate the code or anything, so it's just conjecture.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer