Author Topic: Is there an uptick in people going to arcades?  (Read 3398 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Is there an uptick in people going to arcades?
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:47:45 pm »
I have been noticing photos of arcades on Facebook, and also other places, and seems that there is a surge in people going to arcades.  Of course this is non scientific, but it's nice to see non the less.  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Is there an uptick in people going to arcades?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:50:29 pm »
Well, I can say for certainty that this year at Banning was much busier than last year at Banning.  Not sure if that's any indication, but it was great to see.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:16:06 am »
In my neck of the woods, there have been a couple of "barcades" open in the last couple of years, both met with great success. One of them is planning to open another location soon, so yeah I'd say there is an uptick or a recently tapped demand at least around here.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:00:54 pm »
Our local barcade is doing great.  I understand the business decision to make it a bar but it kills me that I can't take my kids.

http://bestof.statesmanjournal.com/winners/2016/14745856/best-downtown-bar-the-coin-jam
Dick Moreland
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:31:46 pm »
It's no secret that these are popping up all over the place.
I've heard rumor of another one opening in Brisbane (no bar, just straight games  <gasp>) and also maybe one this side of the ditch? Kreygasm

I love it yes I do.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Submit a score for every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:47:45 am »
I can't speak for everywhere, but Up-Down in Minneapolis is absolutely thriving. The owners are making a killing, and now several other bar locations are prepping themselves to copy the idea of having arcade games as a big part of their business. I also hear that a sweet pinball place is about to open not too far from Up-Down. I'd say that in the last 5 years the interest in classic arcade games has increased 100-fold in my neck of the woods (and I don't think I'm really exaggerating -it's probably increased 20-fold since Rusty Quarters, just 3 years ago).
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Verminator

• Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:09:22 pm »
Up-Down was crazy busy when I went there. I couldn't actually play the games.  :-[
Berzerk (Fast Bullets/No Patterns) = 58,780
Berzerk (Slow Bullets/No Patterns) = 195,000
Frenzy = 1,150,665

Donkey Kong = 249,800
Member for 9 Years

Offline NightRider

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:09:05 am »
There's a place in Charlotte NC near me called Abari Game Bar. I've been told by friends that it is a pretty happening place, but I haven't been able to make it over there yet to see for myself.
Born with a steering wheel in his hand... And lead in his foot.
Member for 10 Years

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 12:38:06 am »
Up-Down was crazy busy when I went there. I couldn't actually play the games.  :-[

Yeah, it's crucial to avoid peak hours (about 7-11pm). Especially avoid Fridays and Saturdays. Early in the week is prime, and you can pretty much have at any game you want for hours.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 01:21:07 pm »

Yeah, it's crucial to avoid peak hours (about 7-11pm). Especially avoid Fridays and Saturdays. Early in the week is prime, and you can pretty much have at any game you want for hours.
Yeah, but where's the thrill, if nobody's watching you over your shoulder while you're being awesome?  ;D

Thought I'd also share this experience from a couple months back:

We've got a couple barcades around the San Diego area.  The Coin-Op Game Room is one I had been to a handful of times, for Sunday Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting tournaments.  It was never too busy.  Maybe 30 people max, including the 5-15 people there for the SF tourney.  The tournaments stopped happening after a couple months, and I hadn't been back in probably a year to a year and a half.

Then, my gaming partner and I decided to go check it out as part of one of our marathon "gamin' Saturdays" that we try to get together for every other month or so.  Start as early as possible (10-11 a.m.), drink beers and play until we can't play no mo' (usually around 10-11 p.m.).

We checked out their current web page and saw some pics showing a Donkey Kong on-site, which wasn't their the last time we had been there for an SF tourney.  So, we committed and went.

Sadly, there was no DK...it must've come and gone during our hiatus.  But, the place got packed.  We got there around noon.  There was the usual 20-30 people when we got there.  By 3 p.m., there was probably 100 people in the place.  It was that great old arcade feel, lots of people vying for the games, continuous competition on SF2 (well, that's something I like, at least)...and now with beers.  8) Would've been better with a DK, but to the original point, the scene is doing well...at least at the moment.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline security0001

• Your best source for high quality arcade parts and repair
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 06:14:04 pm »
we are seeing much more game play and locations with games in the two years popping up here in montana.
Selling cap kits, flybacks, tons of parts, specialize in 100% nichicon 105C cap kits.

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com
Member for 6 Years