Author Topic: Yolympics 2017  (Read 47056 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Yolympics 2017
« on: December 10, 2016, 07:55:37 pm »
Yolympics 2017 is right around the corner! It will run from January 28 through March 5. Register at tournaments.twingalaxies.com and start nominating games! Read on for the dates, rules and more info. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.

Quick Links
Tournament Registration
Banned Game List
Game Nomination Form (nomination period has ended)
Current Game Nominations
Final Game Voting (voting period has ended)
Final Game List
Team List
Game Settings

Team Forums
Spaceballs - Captain: QAOP Spaceman
Verizontal Mk. II - Captain: ExedExes
Infallible Team Generator v1.0 - Captain: pwnasaurus
Team Beef - Captain: dwwnp

Dates
Game Nominations: Now through December 31 (countdown timer)
Game Voting: January 1 - January 23, up until the start of the player draft
Player Registration: Now until January 21 (countdown timer)
Draft: January 23 (roughly 8:00 PM EST, hosted by CaptainJivePants and BackDoorFred. They'll be streaming all day, so come hang out!)

Tournament Start: January 28, 2017. 12:00 AM EST (countdown timer)
End of Week 1: February 3, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer)
End of Week 2: February 10, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer)
End of Week 3: February 17, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer)
End of Week 4: February 24, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer)

Tournament End: March 5, 2017. 11:59 PM EST. (countdown timer) This is a hard cutoff. All submissions must be received by this time.

Games
5 games each from the following range of dates for a total of 20 games:
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990-1994
1995-2000

Game Nominations and Voting
Players will nominate 1 game per time period, using this Google Form. Players will then vote on the nominations to decide the final game list. The tournament organizer reserves the right to veto shitty games. Don't pick shitty games.

Banned Games
Games played in last 2 years of Wolf tournaments: IGBY 2016, IGBY 2015, Yolympics 2016, Yolympics 2015, and Puzzle Madness. The full list is here.

Player Registration
Players must register at http://tournaments.twingalaxies.com/#/event/yolympics2017/main. The registration period is from now until January 21.

Rules
-Autofire is not allowed
-Pausing is not allowed
-Mapping multiple keys to a single input is not allowed
-All MAME submissions must maintain an average recorded speed over 95%
-All submissions must include an INP or link to a stream, video, or RetroUprising score. Acceptable platforms are WolfMAME 0.106, WolfMAME 0.181, RetroUprising, or an original arcade cab. Video-only WolfMAME submissions will be required to show the startup of the WolfMAME program and the game settings.

PLEASE BE SURE TO DISABLE NVRAM WHEN RECORDING INPS WITH 106 AND 181

INPs that do not play back correctly for verifiers will be rejected. An INP recorded with NVRAM may play back correctly for you, but will most likely not play back for us.

In 106:

-If you're using the 106 GUI, NVRAM is disabled by default when recording.

In 181:

-NVRAM is not automatically disabled when recording an INP through the 181 GUI. Therefore, you must use one of the following methods to safely record an INP.

For 106 and 181:

-If you're using the command-line, the provided batch file "record.bat" will disable NVRAM. It is not recommend to double-click this file to run MAME, though it will work. Please use it as a command: record gamename inpname.
-Or, if you're using the command-line but not the batch file, add "-nvram_directory NUL" to your command (no apostrophes).
-Or, edit the mame.ini file and change the line that says "nvram_directory" from "nvram" to "NUL" (no apostrophes). The mame.ini file is in your main, root MAME folder. If no mame.ini is present, you can create one at the command line by typing "mamep106-vc -cc" for 106, or "mamearcade -cc" for 181.
-Or, manually delete all the files in the "nvram" folder BEFORE EVERY ATTEMPT AT RECORDING AN INP.

I know that all seems complicated, but it will save us all from headaches during the tournament. Thank you!

Scoring
The top 6 scores from each team will score points for that team. A bonus system was devised that would reward teams for submitting early and often with high quality scores, unfortunately it created a situation where a team could be potentially knocked out of the running after Week 1. Therefore, the bonus system has been canceled and the tournament will only be scored using the top 6 scores from each team.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:20:55 pm by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Yolympics 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:46:06 pm »
Kreygasm love it sir

One question; were pre-1980 games left out for a reason?

Theres some good classics from before 1980 (cosmic guerilla etc)

:)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 09:29:26 pm »
Kreygasm love it sir

I decided to change as little as possible from last year and stick with Wolf's format, for better or worse. Kappa Half of that is respect for Wolf's work, half of that is me being lazy, and half of that is knowing that there are a shit-ton of games to choose from already. Three halfs lit  <Allen>
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 10:19:32 pm »
I decided to change as little as possible from last year and stick with Wolf's format, for better or worse. Kappa Half of that is respect for Wolf's work, half of that is me being lazy, and half of that is knowing that there are a shit-ton of games to choose from already. Three halfs lit  <Allen>

Fair enough, sir. Wolf <3
Three halves can't make a whole without a hole.

:-X
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:49:23 am »
Berenstain Bears: Big Paw's Cave is not banned, I see. Luvit.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline wolfman24

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:18:55 am »
Kreygasm love it sir

Lol i was actually going to change the way the games be picked each year. 2015 was host picks, 2016 was years, and i was planning before retiring 2017 was going to be 3 different companies and 1 all companies
barra on hearing wolf for the 1st time  "wolf is a child and that is a man talking"

Barra [11|Jul 04:57 PM] Barra: I'll be happy with whatever wolf decides, but will still do my fair share of whinging
Member for 9 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:47:13 am »
Quote from: wolf
i was planning before retiring 2017 was going to be 3 different companies and 1 all companies

This is exactly the kind of linguistic clarity and precision we are all going to miss  Kappa  :-*  :D
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 01:14:54 pm »
ROFL

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 05:26:15 am »
Quote from: wolf
i was planning before retiring 2017 was going to be 3 different companies and 1 all companies

This is exactly the kind of linguistic clarity and precision we are all going to miss  Kappa :-* :D

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 07:49:18 am »
Definitely nominating Don Doko Don as my 1989 choice for those who like Bubble Bobble and other puzzle platformer hybrids. Any other strong nominations from other timeframes? Figure it's easier to ask than do research myself.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 12:14:54 pm »
The game I nominated that I am most hopeful that gets picked is Sky Skipper.  I am absolutely convinced this would be a fan favorite if it made it into the tourney.  It has a high score, but in reality it has elements that reward you for speed running through the game as you get better.  Also it's impossible to play a game that lasts more than 20 minutes because of a quasi killscreen on the 8th board.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 07:18:01 pm »
Just a thought, but I like the idea that was floated around of the top four players from last years tournament being offered the Captain's roll in choosing teams, and if one or two of them reject the roll, I suggest going down to the 5th, and 6th place players, and so on, and so on until you get four captains.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 05:22:00 am »
I have added a list of Current Game Nominations for people to check so we avoid multiple nominations of the same game. It's already happened. My bad.  FailFish

Offline D.B. Cooper

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 07:35:37 am »
Someone posted this over at Highscore.  I really have no idea how to help them.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Cool, but I'm have a tough time registering onto Twin Galaxies.  It's telling me a random question and I need help, thank you!!
Dick Moreland
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 07:45:36 am »
Someone posted this over at Highscore.  I really have no idea how to help them.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Cool, but I'm have a tough time registering onto Twin Galaxies.  It's telling me a random question and I need help, thank you!!

If it's related to TG proper, probably Franny.  If related to tourney site, Wes.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener