Author Topic: Donkey Kong Junior Remix  (Read 51829 times)

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Junior Remix
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 04:52:02 pm »
You could say Sploosh instead of smash. I'm on board.
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 06:40:00 pm »
Fruit smash is the common term used, sir.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 06:06:37 am »
That bonus stage is pretty cool.  Very nice work on the game! 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline treborlicec

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 07:32:30 pm »
I started working in program code to handle bonus stages and coded in the first of the bonus screens.  It may still evolve as the game progresses.   (Also using the word 'smash' seems inappropriate here, I'll need to use some other word to describe things hit by fruit..?)

I've also bumped up the maximum number of fruits, and in this case the umbrellas count as a different type of 'fruit' that floats upwards instead of falling down.   The other cool thing is that the game can now handle any number of active fruits (falling/floating/etc..) simultaneously.

Looks great, John.  Maybe you could use the word DROP to replace SMASH?
Member for 7 Years

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 04:25:12 pm »
I guess I'll just leave it saying SMASH in the bonus stages.

I'm starting to have more fun mixing up the stages a bit now.   Again, always subject to change as things will keep evolving, but this stage adds a new color of snapjaw that's the same as the regular blue ones, but after jumping in the water it will jump back out of it - once.. and from where it went in, so you know where they'll be coming from.

The nice part is this gives Jr 3 opportunities to get a jump bonus from a passing snapjaw.  Once when it's on it's way down, once when it jumps back up, and again when it falls back down again.

And there's a pie.  It acts like a fruit, except when Jr kicks the pie, it travels sideways.  And then arcs down once it slides off a platform.

Oh, and lots of moving platforms.  The ones in the water bob around.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 04:54:14 pm »
I really like the snapjaw jumping out of the water idea.  Looks like it's forming into something great! 8)

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 06:07:50 pm »
Wow that board looks sick.  Can't wait
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 01:33:34 am »
Coming on nicely sir, looking great

Exciting stuff

Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 03:25:55 pm »
Things are looking pretty good.  The latest things I'm adding seem to be working out nicely.  I'm still working on bonus stages and of course, still cleaning up code.

Sometimes I feel like I've fell down a rabbit hole.. like I've found a glitch in the matrix.  I don't see how the original code does not summon a portal to hell, let alone actually form a functional video game.   Well, I'm onto you Universe!   I may not have found the knock knock joke hidden within the digits of Pi, but I found *this* and I recognize when something does not compute.

Anyhoo, the latest bonus stage works really well.   So well that I even had to tone it down a bit.   The fruits don't score as high in the bonus stages to allow us to crank things up to 11 without making scoring bonkers.   Each fruit in the bonus stages gives 100 points.  The fruit smash scores go 200,400,800,1200,1600...

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 04:43:21 pm »
Glad it's coming along the way you want it to. 8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 01:10:05 pm »
Here's a couple more screenshots of bonus stages that are being toyed with.  I wanted to see if I could get a little silly with the springboards and worked out a way to get 10 of them at once.   For a bonus stage, why not.

And then also a 'Mario's Hideout' bonus stage.   It still needs a bit of work to make the timer run out faster (because a bonus stage is supposed to be short) but the idea seems pretty good.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 07:15:04 pm »
I wanted to see if I could get a little silly with the springboards and worked out a way to get 10 of them at once.

Hey, Dean, I found your new favorite game!  ;D  ROFL  Kappa
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 11:52:40 am »
Seeing as the AI in DKjr is largely based on DK logic, I thought it might be fun to make a screen to take advantage of that.   Here the purple snapjaws more or less act out the role of barrels and the red snapjaws act like the fireballs.   If a purple snapjaw goes in the oil can, it will then jump out as a red snapjaw.

To keep the red snapjaws from overrunning the screen, one of them is permanently frolicking in the oil can to take on the role of being the oil can fire.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 04:39:51 am »
Seeing as the AI in DKjr is largely based on DK logic, I thought it might be fun to make a screen to take advantage of that.   Here the purple snapjaws more or less act out the role of barrels and the red snapjaws act like the fireballs.   If a purple snapjaw goes in the oil can, it will then jump out as a red snapjaw.

To keep the red snapjaws from overrunning the screen, one of them is permanently frolicking in the oil can to take on the role of being the oil can fire.
Wow, very smart idea indeed!  Keep up the good work! 8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 09:40:37 am »
There is one thing that I found really frustrating about DKjr that I'm making a post just because I'm happy about fixing it:

DKjr > If Jr reaches out to knock a fruit and also touches an enemy in that same frame; Jr dies even though a '400' point sprite appears to confirm that Jr touched the fruit.

DKjr Remix (and DKjr Fixed) > Enemy fruit smash takes priority.  The enemy gets smashed and Jr lives.

That is all