Author Topic: Donkey Kong Statistics Database  (Read 7462 times)

WCopeland

Donkey Kong Statistics Database
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:06:47 pm »

Many will recall the tournament almost a year ago from today where I broke the world record, followed by Robbie breaking it after 6 hours, followed by Dean taking 1st place with a score of 1.177m. Shortly after the tournament, it occurred to me that it was very likely that even though Dean's 1.177m game was one of the greatest of all time, it was bound to be lost to history.

Knowing this, I set out to build Kongtrac.kr, a Donkey Kong high scores database. My goal was to capture every recorded game, player, and event in history. Jeremy Young over the last year has meticulously helped me with this, and as of this writing we're currently sitting on a database of 1570 games from 399 players.

Not only are we able to store all this data, we're able to analyze it in ways that before now simply weren't possible or took an incredible amount of manual effort. Here's a quick highlight of all the features that are being publicly released:
  • Automatic HSL. Every day the scoreboard regenerates itself automatically based on what is in the DB.
  • Essential Game Stats. Pace charts, board scores, life durations, and more.
  • Top Games HSL. Disregard the "player" element and see what the highest scoring games in the DB are.
  • Player Profiles. A player's PB history is built automatically, along with all other known information about that player.
  • Event Data. View a histogram over any event's scores, and quickly see all standings (including bracket standings).
  • Timelines. Automatically generated for 1st KS, 1st Million, 1st 1.1, 1st 1.2, and multiplatform WRs.
  • "Days Since". We can identify certain interesting historical elements in the database and track how long it has been since it has happened (eg -- days since the MAME WR was broken, days since a new 1st million, etc).
  • Database Export. There is no ownership of any of this data -- the entire database can be freely exported by anyone.
  • Calculated Games. The system can generate an "Average Game", which is the average of all KS games in the database. Likewise, a "Perfect Game" can be generated which is essentially a "Sum of Best" for every game in the database.
  • Detailed Comparisons. Any like data can be compared. Compare players, games, and events.
  • Open-source. The entire app's source code can be found on a Github repository.

Automatic HSL

Easy Compare

Game Comparison

Timelines

Auto-generated Game Stats

Easy Player Comparisons
Red dots are arcade scores. Blue dots are MAME scores.

Interesting URLs to Check Out:
Top Games List
World Record Timelines
The "Average Game"
Comparison of the Big Three
Robbie Lakeman 1,206,900 vs Dean Saglio 1,206,800
The Legendary DKO
Hank Chien's Player Profile

Lots of features are planned, including support for every DK, DKJr, and CK variant... and then support for games outside of the DK franchise altogether. Feature requests are welcome. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:08:55 pm by WCopeland »

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Statistics Database
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:28:15 pm »
Wow!  Great work guys.

Question: How do you plan to keep the database up to date?  Do you have some way of polling DKF/TG/MARP submissions, or do you expect players to also submit their scores to KongTrackr?

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:58:15 pm »
Really cool!  Great work, guys!

Interesting to note (if I read the KS timeline correctly) that the 7 most recent kill screens have all been achieved on arcade, and there has never previously been a trend of 7 arcade kill screens, in the history of the game.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 01:27:07 am »
I like this. I like this a lot. Stats Kreygasm

Is it worthwhile us submitting a bunch of our own games if we have record of them? I learned DK when I was still using Retro Uprising and so any time I got a PB I'd submit there.

Or is the goal to only track worthwhile games? I notice the "average" game is 1,003,200 and so I'm thinking that mostly only first-time killscreens and PBs over 1m have been stored so far

Great stuff anyway. Bloody amazing. You guys deserve a fkn badge

:)

Edit: an awesome piece of information that I just noticed: The top 50 all-time games are 1.1m. Wes' 1,100,000 is 50th. Much  Kreygasm very  <YSG>
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:29:13 am by Barra »
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 01:35:46 am »
Incredible. Kreygasm I had a dream of something like this back in 2011 but have never had the time and skills to pull it off. Well done, gents!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline muscleandfitness

• Pie Kicker
  • Elite Member
  • Wall jump WR Holder x3
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 03:46:35 am »
Omfg im in here lit this is amazing. This should be recomended for the Archobald peace prise lit ..we <Allen> <Billy>ll done.  <Allen>
59 wall jumps new world record on mame
55 wall jumps on a cab New World Record
longest convener ride in dk history New World Record
World Record for standing behind oil can until end of lev
A Reverse finish on Rivet  board. 12 ks's HS 992900
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:09:15 am »
Wow!  Great work guys.

Question: How do you plan to keep the database up to date?  Do you have some way of polling DKF/TG/MARP submissions, or do you expect players to also submit their scores to KongTrackr?

Wes can answer the player submission thing better than I can, but I believe there will be a sort of of moderating system set up where people could potentially submit scores and then they'd be approved by an admin/mod/whatever.

My plan is to always update it when a new score comes into the DKF/TG/MARP, which is what I do for the DKF HSL anyway. I'm obviously always hanging around DKF, but I check TG and MARP almost daily for new scores and add them to the DKF HSL if appropriate.

KT has actually been around for quite awhile, in secret, and I've been working on and off in compiling stats for games. I had a hard drive failure this summer, but I believe my records are still accurate. At last count, there should be roughly 250 games on KT with full stats, about 500 games on my computer left to analyze (inp and video), about 750 games on KT that will probably never have stats, and maybe 75 or so more that I need to do some more research on. I have a spreadsheet (lol) that indicates I have info on 1,644 games and that I could potentially have complete data on 827 of them (most positive outlook).

Anyway, the long and short of it is: I will keep the database as up-to-date as possible while slowly adding backlog data.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 05:36:52 am »
Very impressive work guys.   <Mruczek>
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 05:47:45 am »
Amazing work! I haven't got into looking at all the things this does, but just seeing what I saw is awesome.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 06:49:04 am »
Wow!  Great work guys.

There's a larger feature being worked on that will let people submit their own data and then let a mod approve it. This can be full-game data or just "I got X score on X date". Editing is also WIP, which would turn the DB into a wiki-style system.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 11:42:07 am »
^Answered my question too. I saw the "submit" and automatically assumed anyone could. Lit

<Pigger>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 11:44:57 am »
Amazing work, guys. Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 12:45:07 pm »
This is really cool.  Great job!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 01:57:40 pm »

Tremendous work, Wes & Jry - well done.

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Shamrock

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 11:39:40 pm »
Wow. I am absolutely beyond impressed. I am blown away. This is an incredible tool and I plan to use it. Well done gentlemen  8) 8)
All scores set at Z82 Retrocade in Sherwood AR

Galaga - 3,614,350 KS (WR Default?)
Pac-Man - 3,214,250 KS
Q*Bert - 1,506,925
U.N Squadron - 1,410,750 KS/WR(?)
Gyruss - 1,426,750
Four-time defending Air Hockey Champion
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer