Author Topic: Who is the youngest player to get 100,000 points?  (Read 6247 times)

Offline JumpmanJack

• Awards
Who is the youngest player to get 100,000 points?
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:06:05 am »
Hi all,

I created this account for my son Jack who is 8 years old.  He started playing DK in July at Z82 Retrocade in Sherwood Arkansas.  He's gotten pretty good in the past couple of months.  On 10/18 he scored 81,900 points during "Donkey Kong University" class at the Retrocade.  A couple of days ago he got 89,000 on MAME, but it doesn't count because he paused the game before he went to school and finished it when he got home. 

I decided to create this account for him to track his progress and introduce him to the community.  When he is old enough he can manage it himself.

I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone know who is the youngest player to reach 100,000 points and how old they were? 

Can anyone recommend good recording software that we can use at home when he plays on WolfMAME?  I want to be able to show that he is the one playing the game and getting the scores.

Any advice you have for us is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:23:43 am by JumpmanJack »
Member for 7 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Who is the youngst player to get 100,000 points?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 10:03:30 am »
Welcome!

I can't say for certain who is youngest to achieve 100k, The youngest to KS the game is either Tanner Folkens or  <Billy> ? maybe someone here knows, 81k for 8 years old is outstanding given how difficult this game is  Kreygasm 

For broadcasting/ recording software the two main ones seem to be...

1) OBS :  (FREE software)

https://obsproject.com/     

2) Xsplit :  (also FREE)

https://www.xsplit.com/ 

Good luck to you both!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:05:11 am by Adam_Mon »
Member for 9 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline JumpmanJack

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:08:41 am »
Thanks Adam, we will try those broadcasting apps out and see which one works best for us.  Hope you all will enjoy watching him play as much as I do, but of course...I'm biased,  ;)

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:23:57 pm »
Welcome... Oh that third elevator board was hard for all of us to pass at first. Amazing score for such a young man. Keep up the great work - he might be our new future King of Kong!
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JumpmanJack

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 01:33:51 pm »
Thank you mrvaya, I think Jack passed that board for the first time on Tuesday.  Still needs work on consistency, but he's well on his way.

Here is a video of the end of his run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvnWJCEgkd8

Thanks for the encouragement.  I look forward to him being a part of a supportive community.  I want this to be fun for him and I want him to learn good sportsmanship and how to achieve his goals.  The scores are just icing on the cake.

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 04:12:00 pm »
Thank you mrvaya, I think Jack passed that board for the first time on Tuesday.  Still needs work on consistency, but he's well on his way.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I look forward to him being a part of a supportive community.  I want this to be fun for him and I want him to learn good sportsmanship and how to achieve his goals.  The scores are just icing on the cake.

Welcome to the forum and great video! Looking forward to seeing Jack's progress!
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:45 pm »

Love it!  It won't be long before he hits 100k.  I was 11 when my local arcade got the first DK in the area, and I was the first one there to get 100k.  At this rate, Jack's going to be in the 1m club by the time he's 11.  Go, Jack!
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:19 pm »
This is fantastic progress!  When I was first playing this game, I believe I reached 100k points when I was 12.  I killscreened donkey kong at 15, and got 1m at 16.  This kid is on track to shatter my progression if he keeps it up!  Great going Jack
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 05:10:13 am »
Wow this is awesome! Judging by the video, he's already better than  <Allen> !!! Dan Solis is a friend and a good man. He treats his gamers and customers like family. Good to see interest in the game from someone so young! Keep going good!
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline JumpmanJack

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 05:44:10 am »
Thank you all for your encouragement and support.  Yes, Dan is a great guy and we love the family friendly environment he has created at Z82 Retrocade.

Krehztim and Tilt, Jack was very excited to hear from two people who accomplished so much at young ages.  He was also excited to find that Tilt is Tanner Fokkens  :)  He knows who you are Tanner and he thinks it's pretty cool that you commented on his post.  Thanks for taking the time and making his day!

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 09:29:41 am »
Thank you all for your encouragement and support.  Yes, Dan is a great guy and we love the family friendly environment he has created at Z82 Retrocade.

Krehztim and Tilt, Jack was very excited to hear from two people who accomplished so much at young ages.  He was also excited to find that Tilt is Tanner Fokkens  :)  He knows who you are Tanner and he thinks it's pretty cool that you commented on his post.  Thanks for taking the time and making his day!
I'm humbled!  It's really cool that he has such an interest in the game. 

Anyways, once his full games begin being posted on here, he will start to progress really fast because a large part of improving in this game is the outsider feedback.  I remember after passing 100k, score barriers came down much faster than the initial push to pass the 3rd elevator screen.  The key is learning the hundreds if not thousands of ways to possibly die in the game.  Unfortunately, this can only be done by experience.  Watching games from experienced players can help, but most of the time the little nuances are not very evident to the untrained eye.  I would recommend for any new player to write down the way they died in a particular game, and then determine the circumstances leading up to the death.  This should allow you to objectively find a reason for the death, rather than just blowing it off as an 'unavoidable' death.

Hope some of my ramblings help, and good luck Jack!
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JumpmanJack

• Awards
Re: Who is the youngest player to get 100,000 points?
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:45 pm »
Thank you for the advice sir, your ramblings certainly helped ;-)  Jack got a new high score tonight of 83,700.  He was brought down by the notorious third spring stage.  I am posting his complete game below.  Any outsider feedback that might help is welcomed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Eg9QN7ydw

Offline JumpmanJack

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 08:54:21 pm »
Hey all,

Jackson Serrano got a score of 119,100 tonight at Z82 Retrocade!  His complete game is posted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egkSMA7N0pY

He is 8 yrs, 4 mths, 4 days old.  In the excitement of the moment, Jack believed that he was the youngest person to get 100k points.  I didn't want to burst his bubble, but I understand that is a difficult claim to document.  If anyone is aware of a younger person to get that score they should certainly retain that acknowledgement.  If not, Jack would be honored to be the youngest member of the 100k club until a younger gamer claims the title.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 02:34:50 am »
Woohoo!!!! Kongrats!!!  <Sanders> <Sanders> <Sanders> <Walter> <Walter> <Walter> <Allen> <Allen> <Allen> Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm <YSG> <YSG> <YSG>
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer