Author Topic: Donkey Kong survival mode  (Read 2158 times)

Realzach2001

Donkey Kong survival mode
« on: August 26, 2016, 06:32:35 pm »
Obviously when trying to get to higher levels and not necessarily a higher score,  I skip any attempt to point press.  How about the top hammer on the barrel board?  Anyone have an opinion in this circumstance?

Any other useful tips when aiming for the killscreen and not necessarily points?

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong survival mode
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 07:02:11 pm »
Top Hammer is debatable to me. If you do it safely really not much risk but in the OVERALL scheme of just getting a kill screen its not necessary and would only be if the fireball was climbing up.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

LD

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:56:25 am »
I've just been playing for a number of months now.  Slowly learning different techniques to finish boards.  I used to always go up the short ladder and grab the hammer on the barrel boards.  It just seemed to difficult to go up the longer ladder.  As I've gotten better I find it much easier to go up the long ladder now.  Just understanding the pattern the barrels follow has made it easy.  So now I'd say i go up the long ladder a higher percentage of the time.  When I have to I'll use the short and grab the hammer.  Whatever will keep me alive is the choice I make.  Hope that helps.

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:41:04 pm »
In the beginning I believe it depends on how well you jump those barrel combos on the 5th girder (and how good you are at steering and no-steering the right barrels to avoid the tough combos) since its possible to learn how to take the top hammer (at least almost) risk-free on all levels and "hammer your way" to the far right ladder very safely. So yeah... It's debatable :)

Another point to focus on is the transition from 4th to 5th girder (safest spots on the 4th girder (while waiting to run left) according to levels, when to run left to the ladders and how to take advantage of kongs cycles). Most of the important stuff is mentioned in the manual in the strategy section.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:53:54 pm by mrvaya »
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer