Author Topic: How often do you play DK? What does your girlfriend think about your habit?  (Read 8861 times)

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
I've been with two girlfriends. When I was putting in one game a day the mother of my children would always nag me about it saying she heard it constantly. When she left honest to god she said "good luck finding a girl who would put up with your donkey kong addiction" then I was single for about a year still playing a lot until the start of 2013 when I was working 80 to yes you're reading this right 104 hours a week. I met a girl in May of 2013 and by the time I focused on her and work until Christmas and New Years vacation of 2013. I gave myself a week to get my kill screen and finally got it then. I haven't played more then 5 full games since. None going over 200k. I'm single now and planning to keep it that way until I achieve my next goal next year. I'll let ya in on it then but keeping it a surprise. 
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline BillyGaines

• L=22
    • Awards
My wife hates it.  We have a 2 year old which makes playing next to impossible these days.  Last fall I made a deal with her during October that I'd back off playing DK when I got my first Kill Screen.  It was a brutal month.  The Kill Screen came on November 1st around 5am.  Since then I get the 'evil eye' anytime I fire the DK up.  Donkey Kong is a jealous mistress.  You can't improve at this game without playing and watching others play on a regular basis.  I play once or twice a month now and rarely have a chance to watch others stream.  When I moved on to learning how to repair a couple of broken games I picked up in early June  (Ms Pacman and a Galaga), the same time consuming obsession manifested and the 'evil eye' returned.  Every situation is different.  I love the classic gaming scene and will continue to be a part of it but my family comes first.  Maybe I won't get to 1 million in DK anytime soon but I still enjoy seeing others hit their gaming goals.   
"If at first you don't succeed then maybe you just suck." - Kenny Powers
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
One thing though.  I would give up gaming if I ever had a girlfriend that really wanted me to.  I basically have played more than a lifetime of games already.
I also think I have accomplished most of my major goals.  I have left my mark on the gaming scene, and even twenty years from now that mark will still be there, even if it is faded a bit.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
When I was going for my first killscreen, I played almost every day. Since then (2.5 years) I usually only play during tournaments. I'll play the occasional 1-1 if I'm really bored and I do a lot of tinkering in the MAME debugger, if that counts as playing. Eventually I'll get serious about 1M and 1.1M and get back to playing every day, but with some awesome console games coming out soon it won't be for awhile.

I asked my wife what she thought and she said: "indifference?" I know she enjoyed going to KO3 and generally enjoys being a part of the community though.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Gettysburg1863

• Awards
My wife doesn't mind it overall and even drops in a coin here and there. I spend 1-5 hours on it a day lately, but Im on summer vacation. She just isn't a fan during the times when I spend several hours on Twitch talking with people, while she is at home bored.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

DonkeyWessel

I am one of the lucky ones. Not only did my wife get me my machine as a birthday present two years ago, but she encourages me to play and get that kill screen. I am a lucky man! Sorry, had to brag.

Offline alumbrada

• Awards
I asked my wife what she thought and she said: "indifference?" I know she enjoyed going to KO3 and generally enjoys being a part of the community though.

"Indifference" was just the first word that came to mind. A better clarification would be if it makes Jeremy happy, then I am all for it. I do enjoy "the scene", drama included, and had a great time at KO3.  :)!

Being in Japan, I'm supportive of Jeremy's quest to find a candy cab (so he can play the Intrepid PCB - thanks Estel!) We have been to arcades and game exhibitions around here and I play a few credits. I wish I had the time and the drive to become competitive.... But I enjoy watching from the sidelines. When we move back to the states I think it would be fun to have a few machines and a mame poser cab. If money was no object, I would like to get into pinball.

As with any hobby, don't let it detract from what's truly important in life and I'm okay with it. It isn't the weirdest hobby I've explained to my coworkers, so that's a positive. (We used to spend our Saturday mornings taking pictures of cemetery headstones.)
DK high score: 89,100
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer