Author Topic: Paint match  (Read 3285 times)

A_D_BLAIR

Paint match
« on: July 30, 2016, 10:40:19 am »
I'm in the process of building a Bartop cabinet and I just picked up some primer and spray paint from Walmart. I'm not being overly concerned with color matching but I'd like to think that this is fairly close. I used about 2 coats of  "bullseye 123" primer. About 2 coats of this krylon satin cover maxx "island splash". I know it may vary from monitor to monitor but does this strike you guys as a decent "DK Blue"? ...

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Paint match
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:49:41 pm »
It appears to match pretty well on my monitor. The hardest part about recreating the DK paint is the finish, though, not the color. The best way to recreate that glossy finish is with auto body paint is what I've been told.
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Paint match
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 11:33:32 pm »
It's a pretty good effort considering it's off the shelf and probably as close as you'll get without taking a cab to a paint shop.

In the past, I used to put a the cab in the van and take it to an auto body shop. They use a scope which they put on the cab which firstly tells them what colours to mix to get the correct colour, it then gives them the sheen on a scale from one 1-10. Donkey Kong was 6 which is in the satin bracket although from the factory they were finished with Formica which is much harder to match, in fact impossible in the UK.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:43:42 pm by Jonesy Kong »
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer