Author Topic: High scores from "back in the day"  (Read 2293 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
High scores from "back in the day"
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:49:46 am »
I was curious about some of the scores put up by those players "seasoned" enough to have played Donkey Kong during the months following the release of the game. I am talking about during the game's initial popularity, vaguely between 1981 and 1983. Back then, I understand that most players didn't invest too much time into the game given the limitations of quarters to spend, availability of the game itself (getting a chance to play, arcade operation hours, etc), and the fact that there were so many other great games to play at the time. That, and many of the nuances of the game really weren't discovered/explored/well known at the time. Me personally, I remember getting in the 80k range at least once, the final obstacle getting in the way being the 3rd elevator screen (of course). I am not sure if I even passed that screen one time. As I recall, it was a pretty rare occasion for players to even see the pie factory. Anyways, I did see Donkey Kong elevator strategy sort of explained in strategy books and magazines at the time, but I never really understood what was meant by "long" and "short" springs, so that didn't help me much. So, what kind of scores did you guys put up back in the day, and while we're at it, what was the highest score you ever witnessed back then?
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: High scores from "back in the day"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:22:33 am »
I remember playing it in 1983 with my older brother and we had gotten to the pie factory a couple of times.  By 1990 we both had 500k scores in the same 2p game.  After that I stopped playing entirely until KoK came out.

I recall seeing a few 6 digit high scores locally back in the early to mid 80's but in the 100-200k range typically.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener