Author Topic: need help with visual glitch on Arcade  (Read 17136 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: need help with visual glitch on Arcade
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 02:34:10 pm »
This is the point.

You can reseat chips all day long but if you're reseating a faulty chip then your problem will persist. Identifying then replacing the chip with a worker should see you ok. The problem seems to arise after a few minutes, which tells me that the chip is failing once it gets some heat into it.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:39:23 pm by Jonesy Kong »
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 04:01:48 pm »
A thermal fault in a chip is a pretty lucky kind of fault to diagnose.  You know the PCB works fine when it's cold, but not after it's warmed up...    That gives you an easy way to test it.

Leave it on until the fault starts appearing, then cool each chip on the PCB one by one and watch if it makes the fault go away.    Once you find that cooling chip X makes the problem go away, you know chip X is the problem and needs to be replaced.     No special testing equipment needed, no having to follow traces on the PCB, schematics or looking up datasheets for every part.

A can of Freez It/Freeze Spray/Super Freeze/Arctic Blast/etc... is an aerosol can you can buy at most electronics shops.   It sprays cold.   You can spray it on a chip while the board is powered up...

*...but rapid temperature changes to a chip (whether powered or not) can on occasion trip a chip from "marginal" to "faulty".

It sounds like the problem could be either of two things:
The power supply is under-voltage and the voltage drops too low after it warms up.
Or there is a thermal issue with one of the chips on the PCB and it falters after it warms up.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 11:05:22 pm »
You will be able to stop worrying abou this as soon as you do what I suggested a while ago.
 FailFish
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 11:53:56 pm »
You will be able to stop worrying abou this as soon as you do what I suggested a while ago.
 FailFish
Listen to the mighty ken house
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline leejunfan777

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 03:01:38 pm »
i sent my board for repair, now when i plug it back i get a black screen

anyone have any ideas why ?
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer