Author Topic: my new Hi score and some thoughts  (Read 4463 times)

LD

my new Hi score and some thoughts
« on: June 30, 2016, 04:43:17 pm »
Hi guys, just joined the forum.  I've picked up some real good tips on improving on the game here.  I've been playing DK since april and just hit my high score of 263200 running boards.  I figure staying alive will always net me a higher score untill I reach the kill screen.  Some of my observations.  I've been steadily improving as I keep playing.  Then I got stuck around 85000 that is right about the score you will have on first stage 3 elevator.  If I had a few lives and got lucky i'd get past it and hit around 100000 before my game ended.  If i died i could never crack 85000.  So I started to research how to get past elevator.  Basically rule of thumb is to look at spring entering screen and if it's short you're good to go.  I thought this was impossible.  I just couldn't get my head around it.  So i keep playing with the luck factor.  Always the same score.  I almost felt like stop playing this diabolical game.  Then I started playing with the ability to play the level over if i died to see what i was capable if i didn't die on barrels or elevators.  When i did that i could consistently  hit scores of 250000.  So i knew i had to improve on elevators and barrels.  I'm happy to say and encourage anyone stuck on elevators that i'm able now to look at the incoming spring and know if i need to retreat or keep going.  I'm not prefect yet but can say I can clear elevators 75% success.  I know as i get better looking at the incoming spring that percentage will steadily increase.  So like i thought it was impossible it's not as others have said.  you just have to do it die a million times till you finally start to get it.  Now i just have to avoid the stupid deaths on the barrel boards.  Ok long post but thanks for reading and to everyone here that has helped me.  Lorenzo  <Wiebe>

WCopeland

Re: my new Hi score and some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:21:37 pm »
Welcome, Lorenzo :)

Be sure to check out the active streams at the top of the page for lots of great gameplay tips.

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:49:25 pm »
Hi, Lorenzo.  Reading the posts on spring/elevator strategies is a great help, but Wes is right.  I've learned the most just by watching the Active Streamers.  Good luck!
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 11:04:06 pm »
Yeah Welcome Lorenzo. I just wanted to add in that if you yourself feels like streaming, it will be a lot easier to give you advices about aspects that you might not be aware of yourself.

Go big!
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 11:36:12 pm »
I almost felt like stop playing this diabolical game.

I hate to break it to you, but that feeling never goes away. Kappa
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 12:05:11 am »
There is an amazing thread on this forum about how to clear the springs stage. I recommend reading it and looking at the diagrams. Once you get it down, you'll survive springs 99% of the time. I, too, was stuck at the L=04 springs for a bit just like everyone else on this forum has been. Before you know it, springs will be the least feared board of the four. I've included the link to the thread below for you.

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=492.msg8895#msg8895
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

LD

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:12:27 am »
There is an amazing thread on this forum about how to clear the springs stage. I recommend reading it and looking at the diagrams. Once you get it down, you'll survive springs 99% of the time. I, too, was stuck at the L=04 springs for a bit just like everyone else on this forum has been. Before you know it, springs will be the least feared board of the four. I've included the link to the thread below for you.

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=492.msg8895#msg8895

Ya I'll take a look.  I guess with the streaming live video do guys do live tutorials?  You ask questions and they can show you live.  That will be real cool.

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 07:26:37 am »
Hello LD and welcome to DKF, one of the best classic arcade centric gathering spots on the 'net!  Kappa

I think you'll find that most members here are friendly and approachable and some may be willing to give live pointers.  During the DKOO most players will be in serious play mode, so right now might not be the best time. 

Once you master the springs, you will have few problems with them, and probably find it to be an easy board.  Hank Chien told me once that he's never died on a spring board during a Kong Off.    I don't play much DK myself, but like everything, the more you practice, the better you will get.

<Tim>
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 12:39:58 pm »
I almost felt like stop playing this diabolical game.

I hate to break it to you, but that feeling never goes away. Kappa
I almost quit for good this morning, after waking up at 4:00 a.m. to try and get a score worth posting for the DKOO and being late to work.

I'll probably almost quit for good again tonight, when I go at it again and can't get past L3 without dying cuz I'm tired from being up at 4:00 a.m. and working all day.

Seriously, tho, welcome Lorenzo.  Your story sounds identical to mine (and probably many others).  Elevators is the first "pain point" to get past, and then the more you know, the more you realize you don't know.  Lots of good info here, particularly in the advanced strategy section, and as said, watching the experts and elite.

Kongrats on your new hi, keep going good sir!
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer