Author Topic: Donkey Kong Trainer  (Read 58684 times)

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Trainer
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2016, 09:32:52 am »
Last features are greatly implemented John. Nice!

One thing... I think that you have mistakenly inverted the sprites for the fireballs/firefoxes?
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2016, 10:04:34 am »

One thing... I think that you have mistakenly inverted the sprites for the fireballs/firefoxes?

Oh my.. yes, that was a typo on my part.    Fixed now!   Thanks.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2016, 01:01:34 pm »

Oh my.. yes, that was a typo on my part.    Fixed now!   Thanks.

ROFL ROFL ROFL
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline francoisadt

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2016, 06:12:30 am »
What if: The trainer also do have bottom-line scrolling TIPS, what to do next, so that it will drive a pattern of strategy or some guide what the best next move would be or running path for clearing the board would be.
Member for 10 Years

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »
What if: The trainer also do have bottom-line scrolling TIPS, what to do next, so that it will drive a pattern of strategy or some guide what the best next move would be or running path for clearing the board would be.

That would be way beyond the scope of this trainer.  It just gives some basic controls for resetting or skipping screens, and speed controls, so a player can try and try a situation again and again.

For tips, the trainer program code would have to have some sort of AI to deduce what situation the player is in and then formulate a strategy for dealing with it...  this is a wayyy complex thing to do.   Even the human experts won't agree on the best strategy for any given scenario.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 08:31:45 pm »
I think it's perfect at this point. As perfect as it needs to be at least.

Now I can throw away my save states. :)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 05:55:37 pm »
Thanks!

I've done some work on the offshoot ROM, Donkey Kong with built-in pace.   (Essentially the trainer with the trainer stuff removed.)

You can find the roms here:
http://users.axess.com/twilight/sock/dk/dkong-pace.zip

notes:
-dip switch settings for lives is ignored.  3 man only.
-coin up not required.
-2 player games not allowed
-no high score table (I use that RAM to calculate pace.)

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 07:24:50 pm »
Thanks!

I've done some work on the offshoot ROM, Donkey Kong with built-in pace.   (Essentially the trainer with the trainer stuff removed.)

notes:
-coin up not required.
Looks incredible, can't wait for this to make its way to the arcade platform... great job sir.
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2016, 10:52:52 pm »
Since this is just a change to the ROM code, and the ROM space is the same as DK, is there any reason why it WOULDN'T work by just rewriting your ROM chips? You didn't have to do any MAME tricks or modify the dkong driver.

The only potential issue I could see is an actual, physical Z80 having to do these computations, as opposed to an emulated Z80. But the CPU clock and instruction set are emulated accurately are they not? It seems that if this new code was gonna cause buggy behavior, then those problems would show themselves in emulation.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:18 pm »
Since this is just a change to the ROM code, and the ROM space is the same as DK, is there any reason why it WOULDN'T work by just rewriting your ROM chips?

It should work fine on actual DK hardware.   I haven't tried the pace-only ROM on real hardware yet, but I have tried the DK Trainer and it works fine.    Same size code as DK, the files are split into their 4 individual EPROMs... just burn some EPROMs and shove 'em in.

What I'm aiming to do next is integrate it into a DK Remix kit.   This'll take a while, but the idea is to make it possible to seamlessly soft-switch between all the DK ROM versions with no fuss --- Remix, Deranged, DK PCB ROMs, DK Trainer, DK-pace.

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 08:39:50 am »
Thanks!

notes:
-coin up not required.

This is the version I have been waiting for! Cool Kreygasm

Besides the interface looking a bit different (more user friendly for viewers imo) I would expect the actual gameplay for sure to be 100% the original right? If yes as I expect, then we should accept scores done with this version here on DKF. Will it be as easy to verify the scores as always if people should vote for it?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:42:35 am by mrvaya »

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »
This is the version I have been waiting for! Cool Kreygasm

Besides the interface looking a bit different (more user friendly for viewers imo) I would expect the actual gameplay for sure to be 100% the original right? If yes as I expect, then we should accept scores done with this version here on DKF. Will it be as easy to verify the scores as always if people should vote for it?

Gameplay is identical to original DK.  But because this is a modified ROM, I wouldn't hold out much hope that other sites would accept scores.   DKF seems more understanding.   If enough people have played it and can confirm that the gameplay is indeed the same, maybe it'll be accepted here.   I'm all for a vote on it.

Elsewhere, or in general a modded ROM is usually an automatic DQ.

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2016, 10:55:19 am »
I'm in for a vote too!

In the meantime are you willing to share the exact pace-formula?

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2016, 12:53:59 pm »
I'll post up the pace formula.  ..when I'm up for writing a bunch of words to transcribe the code into human.

It'll be a bit embarrassing, though, as it actually takes a number of liberties to keep things simple and to avoid having to code z80 mathy stuff.   But it would be a good base for an eventual PC version that is more accurate.   With additional data/statistics, we could create better formulas.

LD

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2016, 04:49:29 pm »
I've used the trainer and it's good.  Thanks for taking the time to make this trainer.  It's cutting my learning curve down considerably.   <Wiebe>
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:27:19 pm by LD »