Author Topic: Which is the the greater Donkey Kong rivalry?  (Read 12444 times)

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
Re: Which is the the greater Donkey Kong rivalry?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 05:33:50 am »
IMO much of the community wouldn't have an interest in DK without the film depicting Billy Mitchell Vs. Steve Wiebe.  Other playful rivalries are fun but you can't deny the significance of Billy vs Steve.
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 07:02:47 am »
I can see the argument for Allen Staal Vs Brian Allen, but the truth of the matter is in twenty years this rivalry will be not as significant as it is today, and the rivalry between Wes, and Robbie will be remembered more.  The new blood if there is any is not going to appreciate Allen Vs. Brian, and the old timers well go "Well you would have had to been there to get it."

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 07:05:09 am »
Perhaps you could have saved everyone some time by naming this thread  "let me tell you why Robbie and Wes are the best rivalry", because it seems you're just disagreeing with all the feedback anyway  ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:29:33 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 07:16:24 am »
Perhaps you could have saved everyone some time by naming this thread  "let me tell you why Robbie and Wes are the best rivalry", because it seems your just disagreeing with all the feedback anyway  ;D

Again, I did not say "best", I did not say "greatest".  This is more a rivalry comparing the arcade champions, and which champions had a better rivalry.  That is what I wanted to know.  If I did "best" I probably would include Ross Vs. Dean as well, and Ben Jos Vs. Tim Sczerby. 

Originally I only had two.

Also I am not completely decided on Robbie Vs. Wes.  To be honest Billy with his secret tapes, and the political intrigue that went along with it against Steve also made for a good rivalry.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 07:16:37 am »
I would've ticked Allen vs. BA if JBC wasn't in there. No one cares what he is doing.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 07:23:53 am »
Look, I get the rivalry between Allen Vs Brian.  It has been going for around four years now.  Even when both players sucked they were going at each other.  There have been Team Allen, and Team Brian even.  There has been a lot of emotion involved with it as well, and it's the only one that has been really heated.  So if people want to vote for that rivalry as "Best" I am cool with that.  So I think two questions are being answered with this poll.

Allen Vs. Brian is looking like it's the "Best" rivalry

Wes Vs. Robbie is looking like it's the "Better" rivalry compared to Billy Vs. Steve.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 07:37:04 am »

...To be honest Billy with his secret tapes, and the political intrigue that went along with it against Steve also made for a good rivalry.

Not to mention the complete lack of shared strategy (at least supposedly).  They had to figure out how to beat the other guy, never knowing what he was working on behind closed doors, without the communal knowledge base.

<Billy> <Wiebe>
I would go so far as to say the idea of a rivalry isn't necessarily always applicable, sometimes it just so happens that you have multiple people with exceptional talent and motivation, both interested in the same thing at the same time, it's not always about beating the other guy, sometimes, for example, it's simply about testing ones DNA  8)
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline serphintizer

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:27 am »
...sometimes, for example, it's simply about testing ones DNA  8)

The ultimate rivalry.  8)
"Kill screen? Ha! It's for tourists."  - Mr. X
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener CK World Record Holder - MAME DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK 1.2M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Former D2K World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer Twitch Streamer

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 07:57:59 am »
I guess it depends on how you define "greater" or "best" or whatever. 
 <Billy> vs  <Wiebe> is classic, but it's been quite a while and it doesn't resonate as much anymore.  There was a lot of weirdness with all that also, sketchy tapes, DDK issues etc.  But at the same time, that rivalry (real, false, or exaggerated) paved the way for this very forum and all the monkeyheads out there.

Robbie vs Wes is current news so it's hot.  they've also been taking the game to a much higher level than before, trading scores way above the rest of the pack.  They've also traded the score so many times, it's insane.

Brian Allen Staal/ JCB is just fun times with real emotions maybe, fun for the audience but ultimately irrelevant. 

So are you judging by later influence, current reality, or fun times?

Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 08:47:04 pm »
Allen VS Jason VS Brian has been fun, but let's be honest here. It's not a real rivalry. It's basically just been JCB toying with the other two until he got bored with them and just decided to get the million over with.

Let's see how long he can last before he decides to bop Dean.  Also, by how much. Will he be a showman and take the WR by 100 or will he just get it over with and get that 1.75 million he's always on pace for, but never bothers to finish. 

<popcorn>

This could be epic.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:53:36 pm by Zmick_tricK »

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 08:48:55 pm »
It's basically just been JCB toying with the other two until he decided he got bored with them and just decided to get the million over with.

Yeahh......nah
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Zmick_tricK

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 08:56:13 pm »
It's basically just been JCB toying with the other two until he decided he got bored with them and just decided to get the million over with.

Yeahh......nah
Don't be hatin'. You just jealous cuz you know JCB is a legend.  Kreygasm

In fact, I submit a motion for him to get his own emote on this site.

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 09:07:06 pm »
Don't be hatin'. You just jealous cuz you know JCB is a legend.  Kreygasm

In fact, I submit a motion for him to get his own emote on this site.

FailFish