Author Topic: Please Help Me Get DK MAME Running  (Read 18786 times)

ballisticbaldguy

Please Help Me Get DK MAME Running
« on: April 24, 2016, 06:49:40 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying in vain to download and get MAME running with Donkey Kong (US Set 1) for some reason the dkong.zip file I have refuses to open with the most recent version of MAME. I have tried multiple different MAME types to no avail, can anyone help? Is there a step I am missing? It works just fine on my android tablet's mame program.

I am running this on Windows 7.

I have tried both EMU Loader and MAME to no results. Time Pilot and a few other roms will run fine, Pac Man, Donkey Kong and a few others are having issues.

My error message is "The selected machine is missing one or more required ROM or CHD images. Please select a different machine."

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Please Help Me Get DK MAME Running
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:06:00 pm »
I'm not familiar with recent versions of MAME,
But to submit scores here or on Twin Galaxies you'll need WolfMAME (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/   <-- Heres the list of WolfMAME versions

In your version of MAME did you create a ROM folder? Jut place the Zipped DK ROM into the rom folder and it should show up.

If you are using wolfMAME 106 (old version of MAME but it has a sweet GUI) you might need to go to options / directories / ROMS and click browse and OK after you have placed the Zipped DK ROM in the ROM folder.

Let uss know if you still need help.

Edit: I initially, accidently wrote "Un-Zipped" make sure the ROMs remain Zipped.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:08:35 pm by Adam_Mon »
Member for 9 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »
Download the current version of the ROM from here:
https://www.planetemu.net/rom/mame-roms/dkong-1

If other games are working, then it sounds like your mame.ini is pointed to the correct ROMs folder. Make sure dkong.zip is in there.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:05:27 pm »
Give us the exact list of files that it says you're missing.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

ballisticbaldguy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 10:16:31 pm »
Still getting the same issue with Wolf MAME, no idea what is going on..... I assigned the folders even made a specific one for the DK Rom downloaded the new one..... still nothing

Any idea what version of that wolf mame is the best for Windows 7?

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 01:18:08 am »
Sounds like you would try to load the game from the All Games list. If you have the DK rom in the rom folder of your Wolfmame directory it should show in the Available list.

Have you set the rom path under Options/Directories ? used the browse button and pointed it to the romfolder ?

If not do that and if already done refresh under View on the top cause Wolfmame 106 doesn't have auto refresh I believe. After the refresh it should show in the available list.

Don't put roms in extra folders, that doesn't work if you put the DK rom in an extra folder the rom will not show up.

Just put it in the rom folder and make sure you did everything mentioned above and it should work just fine. I have Win 7 as well and wolfmame runs fine

Hope this helps  :)
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

ballisticbaldguy

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:24:36 am »
Hey KIG666

Thanks for your reply, and to clarify (making sure I am making all the right choices). should the ROM folder be in the same file folder as all of the other Wolf MAME assets? If so, should you have to create it or is it already there? I am going to play around with it today and if it isn't working I will create a capture video of my attempts and post it to Youtube.

ballisticbaldguy

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:52:57 am »
Hey Everyone,

Here is the link to my screen and set up. Can't figure out why I am getting the error code but it doesn't seem to be effecting the play through of my other roms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ym4Bgru-fc

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 10:30:49 am »
Are the problematic games recent downloads and/or additions to your roms folder?

If so, does WolfMAME 172 provide a menu option to audit all games?

You may have a corrupt or incomplete dkong zip archive.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 11:46:36 am »
I think Scott is on the right track. It looks like all your configuration options are set correctly, so there's likely a problem with the romset itself.

Possible issues:

1) The zip archive itself is corrupted.
2) The zip archive is fine, but is missing some internal roms.
3) The zip archive is fine, has all the internal roms, but the internal roms themselves are incorrect/corrupted.

WolfMAME 0.172 seems to react differently depending on whether you run it from the basic GUI or from the command line. I purposely messed up my dkong romset and it wouldn't run from the GUI, but it would run from the command line.

So, try what Scott recommended and audit your roms, which I don't think you can do from the Wolf172 GUI. Point your command line to your WolfMAME folder and use the command:

Code: [Select]
mamearcade dkong -verifyroms
Depending on what's happening you'll get different results. If it's scenario 1 or 2, the audit will probably tell you the the romset is missing altogether. If it's scenario 3, the audit will probably tell you that a specific rom is bad. Regardless, you'll likely need to find a new dkong.zip.

Also, you don't need samples for WolfMAME 0.172. In fact, Donkey Kong doesn't need samples for any version of MAME after 0.115.

Finally, this error message:
Code: [Select]
While parsing .\mame.ini:
Illegal integer value for inpview: ""; reverting to

is standard unless you set the input viewer option in the mame.ini configuration file. You can ignore it.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

ballisticbaldguy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:26 pm »
This might seem like a dumb question, but how do I run Wolf MAME from the command lines are you talking about running it in Command Prompt? Also is there a way to get it running on the GUI? Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks for all of your support!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:29:41 pm by ballisticbaldguy »

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 02:58:13 pm »
This might seem like a dumb question, but how do I run Wolf MAME from the command lines are you talking about running it in Command Prompt? Also is there a way to get it running on the GUI? Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks for all of your support!

Yeah, command prompt. You can run it from there with the command mamearcade or straight from the GUI by double-clicking, your preference, but I don't think you can audit (verify) your roms from the GUI. I believe if you hold Shift and right-click in your WolfMAME folder there will be an option in the menu that pops up that says "Open command window here." That will put you right where you need to be. Then you can use all the MAME commands to run, record, playback, audit, etc. There are a ton of ways to run from MAME from the command line, so let me know if you want more info.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 03:07:34 pm »
Also, since you were trying to use samples, double-check you didn't accidentally swap your zips since they have the same name. The roms zip should have 15 files that end in .bin while the samples file should have 5 files that end in .wav (which you won't need for Wolf172 anyway).

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 03:36:24 pm »
I just installed WolfMAME 172 and verified the dkong rom (see attached image).

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

ballisticbaldguy

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 06:43:29 pm »
You guys rock!!!!!!! Holly frakk!

I just ran an entire rom verification in cmd and added in the new dkong file and it worked like a charm. Bless you all and cheers

If you want to watch me Kong it up I am training to be better. I used to play on a multicade at my old job (free games why not) but could never break 110K. A long way till I am Pro Kong for sure. Will be on the community for sure.

https://www.twitch.tv/ballisticbaldguy