Author Topic: Which is the the greater Donkey Kong rivalry?  (Read 12453 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Which is the the greater Donkey Kong rivalry?
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:56:38 am »
Over the past year there has been a fierce back, and forth between Wes, and Robbie.  So fierce that only Billy Vs Steve really is of any comparison for elite Donkey Kong rivals.  Wes getting the record back marks the 5th time the record has changed hands between the two.  About as many as Billy Vs Steve.  I think it's gotten to the point where this is a good poll to make.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline timhett

• Awards
Re: Which is the the greater Donkey Kong rivalry?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 06:31:13 am »
 <Tim>  Left out again!!!
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:11:53 am »
I find your lack of Hank vs. Vincent disturbing.  Kappa
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 11:06:52 am »
To be honest I've always thought the rivalries were a little unnecessary, for 2 reasons..
first, they are not really "rivalries" (as far as I know) its kind of just put on for "outside" entertainment but the players don't really hold any grudges toward one another, eg Hank v Vince and Wes v Robbie..

second reason is the King of Kong, even though thats why most of us are playing the game in the first place I still think any traditions stemming from that movie should probably be allowed to die out....the community is far more skilled and ...honest .. <Billy> to the point were those guys are pretty much irrelivant now, but we still seem to do the rivalry thing becase it was "in the movie"  <Wiebe>

That said, I guess JCB vs Allen vs BA actally IS a rivalry since they absoltley hate one another  <popcorn>

I voted for the first option just to see the results anyway. 

((( <Pigger> ))))

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:18 pm »
I find your lack of Hank vs. Vincent disturbing.  Kappa

Did Vincent EVER have a higher score than Hank?  Not much of a rivalry if that never happens.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 12:55:53 pm »
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 01:09:27 pm »
To be honest I've always thought the rivalries were a little unnecessary, for 2 reasons..
first, they are not really "rivalries" (as far as I know) its kind of just put on for "outside" entertainment but the players don't really hold any grudges toward one another, eg Hank v Vince and Wes v Robbie..

I don't think we have rivalries because of the movie, I think we have rivalries because the emergence of rivalries tends to be a natural occurrence in any competitive endeavor.

Vincent vs. Hank was the most tongue-in-cheek of all of them, and they were the funniest "couple" due to the massive contrasts between the two of them, which is why it was my favorite. :)

Well, second favorite. Nothing in history compares to BA vs. Allen.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:14:59 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 01:40:11 pm »
the big 3 all day
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »
It depends what you mean by rivalry. If it's about who challenged the most the other, it's definitely Wes and Robbie. They are the only one who really pushed themselves to maxout DK on arcade.

If we speak about the rivalry that made the most impact on the scene, it's obviously Billy and Steve. Without them, there wouldn't be any DK players.

If we speak about real emotional rivalries, it's obviously Allen and JBC  Kappa

Me and Hank wasn't a rilvalry, it's was a bromance  BibleThump

But personally, the best rivalry would go to Tim Sczerby and Seth Gordon  Kappa
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:51:37 pm »
I voted for the big 3; lets face it, it's the only rivalry that matters. 

Obviously, the score isn't what we care about regarding rivalries (or we'd compare them all to 1.206), so the clear choice is the big 3.

If we decided to look at rivalries between the best players in the world (the highest known scores at the time), Then the Billy/Steve rivalry was actually the only time you had a battle between the two highest scoring players on the game (Dean broke the highest arcade score in 2009, and has yet to have his "current pb" topped (or taken away from him) at any time in the last 7 years).

So what?

It doesn't seem fair to exclude him from these rivalry discussions simply because no else was (or had been) on his level at the time; IMO a rivalry for the best has to involve the best, so it's either Billy v. Steve, or we just go with the true rivalry and stick to the big 3

EDIT: <stirpot>
EDIT EDIT: Or, we call it the greatest arcade rivaly
EDIT EDIT EDIT: ^ and then it's obviously Robbie and Wes based on the associated skill sets for the higher scores.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:44:09 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 03:18:54 pm »
OK, originally I only had

Billy Vs. Steve

And

Wes Vs. Robbie

But then Xelnia or someone else edited my poll to put in the "Big 3"

My intention was never "Greatest" rivalry, but simply which was the greater rivalry between these two sets of people.

So far Wes Vs. Robbie is leading the way with my original question.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 03:25:58 pm »
 FailFish
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 04:26:41 pm »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline diskborste

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 02:03:38 am »
AS vs BA, and its not even close.
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 02:55:49 am »
Meh diskborste.. Me thinks the rivalry between Diskborste and Dimmu--borgir blows everything else. One  <Wiebe> is the Swedish champion and one is not.   <Tim>
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener