Author Topic: Crap Tournament 8  (Read 16126 times)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Crap Tournament 8
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 05:59:37 am »
The tournament site had been updated! Any scores achieved on the two mystery games before this post can still be submitted within the next 24 hours.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 01:42:15 pm »
1) It's not Memorial Day for everybody
2) I'm not Wolf or Tessler  Kappa

fffttt :-/  >:(
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 01:43:24 pm »
(a tournament organizer needs to get abused at least once.  :) )
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 01:58:33 pm »
 BibleThump fttt tourney organizer AND global mod. don't make me ban you from this fing  <Allen>
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 02:28:45 pm »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 09:03:31 pm »
Crap Tournament 8 has ended!

Congratulations to our winner and top crapper: Barra! For winning, you get the crappiest prize of all: NOTHING. After a hard fought battle for first, and for the second year in a row, tudose takes the coveted Number Two spot. Perennial Crap favorite Zerstorung finished in a respectable 3rd. Strong showings by ExedExes and Max made for some exciting leaderboard action over the past 10 days.

A huge thanks to Wes Copeland, gstrain, QAOP Spaceman, and krehztim for their help in running the tournament, testing games, and verifying scores. I must also mention Bill House (Crap founder) and Ross Benziger for keeping this tournament alive over the years. I hope I was able to live up to their crappy standards.

We had over 550 submissions by 28 gamers. The games were awful, but the gameplay was amazing. There were several new world records set during this tournament:

Ponpoko - 217,910 by PG3
Porky - 288,200 by Zerstorung
Side Trak - 92,980 by Conjured Entertainment
Streaking - 47,620 by tudose

Crap-inspired serphintizer did not compete, but set a new record on Super Rider with 290,230.

Congratulations again to all the players for a job well-crapped. Please feel free to leave feedback and thoughts about the tourney in this thread. See you all next year!

Online Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 04:38:28 am »
What a fantastic tournament this was.

First of all congrats to the guys who placed. Some absolute epic competition over the past 10 days. Special mention to Tudose for making me sweat throughout the last week. You're an animal! Next year is definitely yours.
Great to see a number of TG/MARP/RU records go down as well. (Apart from the camaraderie), for me this contest is all about pushing the games to their respective limits (and sometimes beyond) We definitely achieved that this time around.

Massive thanks to Jry for organising the games. They were top-notch shitters. A better list of Crap games would be hard to find.
Also big thanks to Wes for the website. Makes these contests even better. A central hub for contests like this has been needed for years, so thanks for all your hard work putting it together.
Also a big thanks but a HUGE apology to the verifiers. Bogey Manor and Progress can't have been easy to watch. You guys rock!

Favorite game/s: Have to say tugboat. Its the only game I'm going to play outside of this contest, maybe apart from Boggy 84.
Blue Print was alright despite the massive flaw of not being able to shoot the damn thing.

Least favorite game/s: Talbot. What the fuck is even happening here?
Streaking is an absolute abomination. I didn't think they could make Pac-man even worse. They did.
Bird invaders (Yosako) would have made this list had it been a full-contest game.

Best score/s: Conjured's 92,980 on Side track. Murdered the previous record and probably the only person to ever finish a bonus stage with 10 cars. Nice work sir.
Tudose's 47,620 on streaking was very impressive too.

Special mention: PG3 for maintaining his 1 game, 100% record.

Things to be improved for next year: More streams from myself. Super slack this year, sorry about that.

See you all at IGBY in a month or so!
:)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Have a score on every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 09:03:53 am »
haha love it. great tournament this time around. congrats again, andrew! awesome stuff from start to finish

also a big ty to jry for putting the games and videos together, wes for maintaining the site, and gstrain/spacey for helping verify all the crap lol

Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline ExedExes

• Team Verizontal Captain
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:24 am »
GET HYPE FOR CRAP  Kreygasm

That was the mantra going through this entire week. I will say this year's lineup was FAR better than last year's. No Magical Cat Adventure to be seen! Every game was playable in its own way.

Blue Print - I was *very* happy to see this one, because it was one of the first games I ever played on MAME, which would explain my early success @ Day 1 with a decent score until some of you figured out that the machine did NOT let you fire the shots yourself.

Bogey Manor - Personally, I do NOT like to leech in games. This game pretty much demanded it. I just watched the video from the official CT playlist and did what they did. My score lasted a day or two until some of you figured out how to break it, and talk about "power armor" and stuff like that just kinda drew me away from it. I did manage to put up a score 50k better near the end.

Boggy '84 (and the legend continues...) - I saw the creature... NO, NO! Oh, wrong Boggy, sorry about that. This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but to get a good score early on it was absolutely necessary to get that 20K on the game show level.

Ponpoko - A game so bad that it had its own theme song. Yeah. This was probably my least favorite because in a game that demands precision, it would certainly help for the controls to be a little better! Once I found out that you could control how you long and short-jump, I finally managed 82k. You couldn't help but hurry to get better bonuses. PG3 broke the game however.

Porky - Fun once I figured out the jump mechanics. Just couldn't clear that large pit after the first cave. My score held up well.

Progress - It's Grobda! No, wait. It's crap. The secret was apparently in the exponential bonus you got with those trucks as long as you didn't lose a life. Grabbed onto that and put up a tolerable score.

Side Trak - BLUBLUBLBUBLBUBLBUBLU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I don't have to hear that abysmal sound anymore. Mr. Kaufmann must feel good about his decision to release the Exidy games to the general gaming public now, right? I put up with it enough to get 56k.

Streaking - Believe it or not, I saw this game before we played it. It was in the training montage scene in the forgettable 1983 movie "Joysticks" that was on the USA Network's "Up All Night" many times (it was a late night show on the weekends dedicated to crappy movies). A simple maze game would have sufficed, but a speed increase halfway in and the killer fatigue did me in, relegating me to the 22k club.

Super Rider - The worst trip to the shopping mall you'll ever have. At least that's how I saw it. The world's weakest motorcycle ever. If this was an AVGN episode, think of the spots where he dies 30 times in a row while on a profanity-laced tirade and that sums up my experience with this crap. I just played it so I could get over 100k and stay competitive.

Kreygasm Talbot Kreygasm - HYPE! No, seriously. I played this about a month ago before we even did it here, so my limited knowledge of this was somewhat helpful. That fateful Wednesday night I just set out to do it, got lucky with the 2000 point grabs, made it to Round 5 and promptly lost 2 lives to that damn fox and then by losing the "rabbit game" because the CPU got the 8 bastards first. Yes, you heard right. I had *3* lives on that stage. 750 points short of the WR. I will come back to this one, and yes I'm crazy  Kappa

Tugboat - I saw talk about a lot of you felt that it was better to have this as a weekend game instead of being the entire tournament. I couldn't agree more. Then I saw talk about how you had to die in a certain spot to have a better log arrangement for the entire game, and ways of getting past certain areas by moving in all sorts of directions. Nope. That was enough for me. The score I got, I didn't even die on Phase 4, and I figured that was enough an omen for me to just accept that. I would have liked to get above 700  FailFish

Yosaku To Donbei Bird Invaders (hey let's call it what it is!) - Another one I was glad to see relegated to the weekend. My score was solid for nearly 24 hours, when I saw the one you call "Scoops" and Barra going after it I had a feeling that I wouldn't be getting 2 golds out of this tournament (and honestly, I thought one of you pros would be getting Talbot too!)

So that's it, my 2nd CT done. Looking forward to the IGBY and my "one-man band performance" as last year's award show put it so eloquently. Thanks to the organizers, WC for his back-end work as always, and all those who had to sit through leech fest after leech fest.

CRAP HYPE
VERIZONTAL HYPE
IGBY HYPE
and all of that,

ExedExes
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:10:19 am by ExedExes »
Member for 8 Years

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 01:26:49 pm »

Well done and thank you to everyone, esp Jry for the stellar games list.
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 01:11:29 am »
Best score/s: Conjured's 92,980 on Side track. Murdered the previous record and probably the only person to ever finish a bonus stage with 10 cars. Nice work sir.

That's a great score! I believe I've also performed this feat during my own play at some point (Ben falls might have too at some point during his practicing). I haven't played the game in like 4 years, but I believe Ben Falls and I were getting like 50k+ for our attempts quite frequently at one point. I think I had a break out game that was somewhere in the high 90Ks, because I remember really pushing to try to get 100k+. Assuming the game keeps repeating (I can't recall, since it has been so long), there is a nice slow way to basically marathon the game, but that would take so long to get a significant score... and, besides, going fast is way more fun!

Great game!  Kreygasm Definitely not crap!  <YSG>
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer