Author Topic: Wildcard Rematch #2 Scoreboard  (Read 83051 times)

hchien

Re: Wildcard Rematch #2 Scoreboard
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2013, 08:39:04 pm »
Also, there is nearly no challenge at all on the killscreen to survive long enough to trigger the screenkill.

I like the precise usage of terms.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2013, 08:43:10 pm »
The Official Unofficial list of Killscreeners who did not Screenkill
(with cause of premature death)

Vincent Lemay (inaugural member and president) - cause of death: greed
Ethan Daniels - overexcitement
Mike Groesbeck - fumbling with the camera

I want to see a revised DK Killscreener Timeline, with an asterisk beside the name of each applicable player.  On my desk!  By 9:00 AM Monday morning!  On second thought, by yesterday!

EDIT:  Sorry Hank, just realized I should be yelling at Chris, not you.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:23:54 pm by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2013, 09:55:23 pm »
Nevermind.   Jeff, and Hank make a good argumentation that far exceeds mine.  That's my whole point.   I am the Donkey Kong ignorant like Ben Affleck is in Good Will Hunting.  Hank Chien, and Jeff are the Matt Damon character who actually know what they are talking about! :)

They made some points that seem logical but do not hold up to the reality of the killscreen issue. They make assumptions and speak in hypotheticals that are not really relevant.

When stripped of all that it comes down to what Dave said.. Did you die or did the game kill you. Simple. Game.. Set... Match. ANYTHING other than that is subject to interpretation... the meaning of screen, the compound word, the bug has already showed on the screen.. NONE of it matters. Did the game kill you or did you die for any other reason. If you die for any reason you could die on on any other level you die and did not reach the end of the game, commonly called the killscreen. If you reached the point where you the player can no longer continue for reasons beyond your control you have reached the killscreen.

Again... Did you die or did the game kill you? The answer is your answer.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2013, 10:23:53 pm »
you guys are too funny
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:21 pm »
I'm not saying I disagree with you Ken and Dave.  I can argue this either way.  My argument was purely a semantical one.  Killscreen is a term invented by gamers hence it can mean whatever we want it to mean.  Just to play devil's advocate:

You are saying to reach the killscreen the game must kill you off...

Does pacman have a killscreen?  Does the game actually kill you off?

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2013, 11:37:54 pm »
Does pacman have a killscreen?  Does the game actually kill you off?

Pacmans splitscreen does not technically kill you. It is however impassable as far we know effectively making it a killscreen. I think most of the top players call it the split screen not the kill screen FWIW.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2013, 11:44:37 pm »
The Dig Dug kill screen is a lot simpler. You get there and you're dead!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:12 pm »
The Dig Dug kill screen is a lot simpler. You get there and you're dead!

I think i saw that screen one time  ;)

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2013, 01:15:44 am »
The reason I first asked this was because of a drunk debate with my friends.
I was arguing the fact that your dead anyway so who cares it's a kill screen. Then my mate posed the question to me about digdug, if you lose your last man on the last enemy on the screen being crushed by a rock, 1 screen before the kill screen can you say you made it cause either way you were dead anyway? I answered no you f'ed it up. Then he replied then what makes dk any different. That's what made me change to the fact that the bug has to kill you.
I'm still not sure tho cause you activate the bug as soon as lvl 22 starts, but if you die before it . Was the bug there?
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2013, 01:25:51 am »
I understand both sides of the argument.   I was about 70 odd boards off a killscreen, but I assumed the a killscreen bounty would mean seeing the the killscreen bug occur.

If, and it's a very big if, I ever make it to level 22-1 and die before I see the bug I would not consider that I killscreened the game and I would also be throwing various pieces of computer gear around the room after dying before seeing it.

DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2013, 06:27:40 am »
It funny how much this topic is going because I would say the percent  chance of someone dying on the kill screen before it times out is about 1% or less. Its just the weirdest thing that it happened on a bounty, otherwise this discussion would have probably never come up.

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2013, 06:36:37 am »
To me I personally think the score is more important than the killscreen.  I would rather have a million point game with no killscreen over an 850,000 point with a killscreen.   Of course the game I am best at is DK3, and that is the one where there is no real killscreen.  I get the beauty of having to become more, and more technical with your game because there is a killscreen, but the killscreen itself is not the end all, and be all of the game.

The killscreen to me is the cherry on top on the banana split sundae.   Even without the cherry the banana split sundae is still awesome!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Fast Eddie

« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2013, 07:08:16 am »
yeah i dont really care either way, its just an interesting debate, should probably be split to its own thread...

8)

Offline andrewg

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2013, 08:05:30 am »
first person to reach the kill screen. 22-1 is the kill screen. 1-1 is the first screen of the game.

If one reached the kill screen with two lives, the kill screen glitch takes the first, then the player loses the last life accidentally, then what?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:11:36 am by andrewg »
There's a Kill Screen Coming Up!
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2013, 09:04:22 am »
It funny how much this topic is going because I would say the percent  chance of someone dying on the kill screen before it times out is about 1% or less. Its just the weirdest thing that it happened on a bounty, otherwise this discussion would have probably never come up.
^this
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer