Author Topic: Wildcard Rematch #2 Scoreboard  (Read 82845 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Re: Wildcard Rematch #2 Scoreboard
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2013, 11:12:34 pm »
I think it might be a red herring to get into an argument about "when the game is over" because this is simpler than that. What we're trying to agree on is terminology.

The question is, what does "reaching the kill screen" mean?

Jumpman gets killed by a timer bug approx. seven seconds into the 117th board (L22-1).

The question is whether the term "kill screen" refers to the board on which the event happens, or to the event itself.

From what I understand, what Ken is saying is that there is no stage/board that "is" the kill screen. In other words, it's not correct to use "kill screen" to refer to L22-1, but rather to the event that happens on that board. By this definition, you have not "reached the kill screen" until Jumpman dies from the timer bug.

Others are saying that "kill screen" is an alternate name for the 117th board. So, a player has "reached the kill screen" the instant the L indicator goes to 22, since, by that definition, the kill screen is a level and not an event.

The latter is the impression I've been under up to now. I thought "kill screen" in Donkey Kong's case just meant "board 117," as opposed to "Jumpman dying due to the timer bug on board 117."

I don't care which meaning of "kill screen" wins out. But as long as bounties are involved, everybody's gonna have to agree on one!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2013, 12:06:59 am »
Holy smokes! This one might end up with the Supremes.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2013, 12:26:31 am »
Thats close to what I am saying but its more than that. L22-1 can be the killscreen and it can also not be the killscreen. You have to meet two criteria. You have to reach level 22-1 because the code bug only happens on that screen AND you have to play longer than 400 bonus timer ticks for KILL portion of the KILLscreen to happen. Until the game kills you off you are playing donkey kong. If you die any other way its game over, no kill screen. If you survive those timer ticks you get killed no matter what you do, THATS the kill screen. Anything else is NOT. A death on 22-1 getting hit by a barrel is the same as a death on 2-1 getting hit by a barrel and I think this is the part that has people confused. As long as gameplay is still POSSIBLE then there is no killscreen. I can see how people can say 22-1 is the screen on which the killscreen happens but calling anything less than death without option a killscreen is just not in line with what is actually happening.

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2013, 03:16:12 am »
If you reach the last screen of the game it's the killscreen.  If you reach the end of the game it's the "End of the game".

If you reach the last screen in the game you've reached the last screen in the game. If the game kills you with no other options its a killscreen.

And the last screen in the game is called the killscreen.   Like someone else said I seen conversations about how people have scored so many points on the killscreen.  If I remember correctly no one piped up, and said "Hey that really isn't a killscreen guys."   That's because it's regarded as a killscreen.  That's because the last screen has always been known as the killscreen, and not the very end point.   If we were just referring to the end point than we would call it  "The Killpoint".
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2013, 04:48:23 am »
Holy smokes! This one might end up with the Supremes.

Super Supremes?
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2013, 06:10:51 am »
Seems most agree that 22-1 is the killscreen.  Once you pass 21-6, you've made it to the killscreen. How can anyone say you didn't make it to the killscreen, when you did in fact get to 22-1? That's the killscreen.

If you want to tell someone they "didn't let the killscreen kick in", if they die before the bonus timer bug kills Jumpman, sure that's fine.

But you can't tell anyone they didn't get to the killscreen if they passed 21-6.

22-1 is the killscreen.  Once you're there, you've got your killscreen...regardless of what happens during the killscreen.

Whomever got to 22-1 first got the first killscreen.  I'm pretty sure nothing in the rules said "first person to let the kill screen bug kill you wins the kill screen bounty"...
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2013, 06:35:54 am »
My opinion is similar to Ken's in that you haven't really reached the "end" of the game if you aren't killed by the timer on the kill screen.  Otherwise you just died playing normal Donkey Kong.  There is ambiguity in the term "Kill Screen" since 22-1 is the screen where the end occurs, but if you want to talk about reaching the end of the game, it needs to be a timer death.  IMO, "Kill Screen" is just cool lingo meaning you've reached the true end of the game and "beaten" the game.  So dying to a barrel doesn't count.  If you get to the final boss in a game but die before you kill the final boss, you didn't beat the game (even if it is a really, really easy final boss).

I'll leave the question of whether Ethan should have been eligible for the bounty or not to the organizers.

-George
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:53:59 am by gstrain »
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2013, 07:11:24 am »
Look, think about it this way.  Say an actor tells people that they are in the ending scene of a movie.  In the movie the scene fades away the last 5 seconds over a neighborhood.  Are you going to tell the actor that "Hey you were not in the ending scene because your face was not appearing when the credits were starting to roll.  To say such a thing is pure madness.

It's not reaching the killscreen bug
it's not reaching the killscreeen endpoint
It's not reaching the killscreen end
It's reaching the killscreen, which means the moment Mario starts on 22-1

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Fast Eddie

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2013, 08:20:16 am »
well its a matter of interpretation, so there is no need for everyone to agree...

im surprised that between 2 KOs and rematches the question had not 'officially' came up, i figured it had and had been settled in favour of just L22 but i guess nobody really thought it would happen...

i think its only logical that the timeout death is the 'default position' for officially getting a killscreen and if the rules needed to spell it out one way or the other then they needed to say that you dont need to timeout, not that you do!

8)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:46:45 am by Fast Eddie »

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2013, 08:33:34 am »
Look, think about it this way.  Say an actor tells people that they are in the ending scene of a movie.  In the movie the scene fades away the last 5 seconds over a neighborhood.  Are you going to tell the actor that "Hey you were not in the ending scene because your face was not appearing when the credits were starting to roll.  To say such a thing is pure madness.

It's not reaching the killscreen bug
it's not reaching the killscreeen endpoint
It's not reaching the killscreen end
It's reaching the killscreen, which means the moment Mario starts on 22-1

Analogy's dont work here. These are unique circumstances. Until you are killed by the game you have not reached the kill screen. Just because some people (even a lot of people) have mistakenly called 22-1 'the killscreen' does not make it match up with facts.

Seems most agree that 22-1 is the killscreen.  Once you pass 21-6, you've made it to the killscreen. How can anyone say you didn't make it to the killscreen, when you did in fact get to 22-1? That's the killscreen.

Again, not true, just perception. If you look att he poll here https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=108 in fact MOST would not call making it to 22-1 a killscreen.

Regardless of how we feel, the organizers made an immediate and correct decision and I am sure will spell it out more clearly next time.

Seacrest OUT
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2013, 08:37:17 am »
There is no right or wrong answer.  Killscreen is a term that was coined by gamers/programmers.  It is not a real word.  I've heard the term used both ways.  I myself have used the term both ways:

"Which board is the killscreen?"  (a board)

"Which board does the killscreen happen on?"  (a bug)

From a purely semantic point of view, killscreen is a compound word where screen is the noun and kill is the adjective.  Therefore killscreen is a screen, not a kill.  Just like "homework" is work not a home and "airplane" is a plane not air.  The bug would be more accurately termed screenkill.  Having said that I'm starting a new list:

The Official Unofficial list of Killscreeners who did not Screenkill
(with cause of premature death)

Vincent Lemay (inaugural member and president) - cause of death: greed
Ethan Daniels - overexcitement
Mike Groesbeck - fumbling with the camera

Congrats Ethan for joining Vincent in this prestigious list.  Anyone else I'm missing?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:44:03 am by hchien »

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2013, 09:08:57 am »
Add me to this list, I am a Killscreener who did not Screenkill.

First DK Kill Screen
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2013, 09:42:03 am »
Add me to this list, I am a Killscreener who did not Screenkill.

Congrats Mike!

Hahaha... I forgot about this one!

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2013, 10:22:44 am »
ROFL Hank. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:33:42 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2013, 10:39:18 am »
There is no right or wrong answer.  Killscreen is a term that was coined by gamers/programmers.  It is not a real word.  I've heard the term used both ways.  I myself have used the term both ways:

"Which board is the killscreen?"  (a board)

"Which board does the killscreen happen on?"  (a bug)

From a purely semantic point of view, killscreen is a compound word where screen is the noun and kill is the adjective.  Therefore killscreen is a screen, not a kill.  Just like "homework" is work not a home and "airplane" is a plane not air.  The bug would be more accurately termed screenkill.  Having said that I'm starting a new list:

The Official Unofficial list of Killscreeners who did not Screenkill
(with cause of premature death)

Vincent Lemay (inaugural member and president) - cause of death: greed
Ethan Daniels - overexcitement
Mike Groesbeck - fumbling with the camera

Congrats Ethan for joining Vincent in this prestigious list.  Anyone else I'm missing?

To quote Ben Affleck in Goodwill Hunting, I say to Ken "How do you like me now?!"

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard