Author Topic: Is the individual bigger than the Donkey Kong hobby?  (Read 9890 times)

konghusker

Re: Is the individual bigger than the Donkey Kong hobby?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 10:44:18 am »
I gotta believe that players are only "famous" within their own communities they live. Of course arcade fans will recognize some players, but outside of that, there is no stardom.

dwayne

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:28 pm »
i find the whole topic insane.  i would rather have friends then fans who needs fame and actually i wouldn't have responded but my friend Foster put up the the big head who can eclipse the sun.  The culture we live in has made up fictional ways of relating to others which destroys friendship.  The other in dialogue is what makes for your uniqueness to be distinct.  For everyone to put someone's uniqueness on a pedestal and say that is the focus of our attention and no one else is crazy. Uniqueness is self evident.  Making people envious doesn't take away from the mystery or make you any friends. 

So to want to be bigger then the community is nonsense or to think you are bigger then the community is nonsense.  dwayne

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 01:41:28 pm »
i find the whole topic insane.  i would rather have friends then fans who needs fame and actually i wouldn't have responded but my friend Foster put up the the big head who can eclipse the sun.  The culture we live in has made up fictional ways of relating to others which destroys friendship.  The other in dialogue is what makes for your uniqueness to be distinct.  For everyone to put someone's uniqueness on a pedestal and say that is the focus of our attention and no one else is crazy. Uniqueness is self evident.  Making people envious doesn't take away from the mystery or make you any friends. 

So to want to be bigger then the community is nonsense or to think you are bigger then the community is nonsense.  dwayne
Yeah, but you are bigger than Nibbler.  I mean really who has started playing Nibbler since that film was released despite being seen by 10's of thousands of people.

Also for someone who likes friends you sure have burned a lot of bridges with friends along the way.

As far as what I really want.  No, the number one thing I want is not fame, and no it's not friends.  What I really want in this community is to see it grow.  I want to see this community be much, much, much larger than it is.  I want to see these games put to their limits.   In order for that to happen, there needs to be growth.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

WCopeland

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 03:09:39 pm »

I think that is a well-thought and eloquently-put point.

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 03:23:40 pm »
i find the whole topic insane.

Hahaha, that's a more concise reply than I could have thunk of.
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 04:19:33 pm »
Edit: never mind.  Anything I say from this point on will add fuel to the fire.  OK, you guys win.  I will go play some games or something.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:37:40 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 06:10:42 am »
People play arcade games because they enjoy them (hopefully).   There's no money/fame in this hobby, and if you play arcade games because you think you'll get rich/famous, you should rethink your priorities. 
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer