Author Topic: Arcade Guys: Recording Setup  (Read 7235 times)

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
Arcade Guys: Recording Setup
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:13:59 pm »
All you DK arcade guys, I have a question for you. What is your recording setup? Meaning, where exactly do you mount your recording device. Also, what is your recording device?

Exact equipment/ photos of said equipment would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Arcade Guys: Recording Setup
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:01:12 pm »
This is my set-up & HDD camera I use. I can burn straight to DVD from the recording.

The tripod is set so it can still view the screen if I'm standing to play. Which is what I usually do.

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 06:51:12 pm »
I am using a Microsoft Life cam mounted to the top of my Cab.  It took about an hour to make the "mount" out of a pine 2x4, some nails, bolts, and a few screws.  The mount is secured to the cabinet using 2 of the marquee retainer screw-holes.  I also added rubber feet that rest against the marquee to prevent scratches...

Before adding the spray rubber coating...

Finished product

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:06:12 am by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:35:55 pm »
I've tried a few setups but am happiest with the cheapest solution. I bought a rockfish web cam off ebay for about $10. I took a piece of metal from a computer (the part removed when you install an expansion card) and put a 90 degree bend on the end to hook onto the marquee holder. Then I put a 90 degree twist in it to hold the camera. This setup produces a sideways image but I correct it with xsplit. Thanks have to go to Ethan for showing how well a middle mounted camera works. I can remove or setup the camera in a few seconds and I don't notice it when I play. :)

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/milehighdt/media/018_zps34705a78.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/milehighdt/media/017_zpsf26a3855.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:10:50 am by Milehighdt »
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:45:11 pm »
This is awesome. Kudos to you for using the marquee retainer screws.

Paul

I am using a Microsoft Life cam mounted to the top of my Cab.  It took about an hour to make the "mount" out of a pine 2x4, some nails, bolts, and a few screws.  The mount is secured to the cabinet using 2 of the marquee retainer screw-holes.  I also added rubber feet that rest against the marquee to prevent scratches...

Before adding the spray rubber coating...

Finished product

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:35:04 pm »
Thanks!

Actually, now that you mention it,  I am using two "longer" screws for the marquee attachment points; that way they go as far down as the original screws.  They are about 3/4 inch longer than the standard marquee screws.  The real beauty, which I didn't realize until after the fact, is that the distance between all the marquee screws is identical, so it can be mounted left, right or center.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:25:48 am »
I have an inexpensive HP webcam clipped to the end of a wood paint stir stick (5 gallon sized stick).

The stick is just clamped to the top of the machine.  Didn't want to use any screws.

Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 08:32:26 am »
Ethan, what do you do when it's time to record the inside of your machine after a good game? Even with the new rules you still need to open up the machine and give and overview of the inside.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:41:38 am »
Ha! This is pretty awesome too. Thanks for posting the pics. I like the use of the clamps.

Paul

I have an inexpensive HP webcam clipped to the end of a wood paint stir stick (5 gallon sized stick).

The stick is just clamped to the top of the machine.  Didn't want to use any screws.

Fast Eddie

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:56:04 am »
if your using a light webcam you can attach it to one of them suction mounts, just a couple quid on ebay, and stick it to your marqee, i like this method...

8)

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:55:39 am »
Ethan, what do you do when it's time to record the inside of your machine after a good game? Even with the new rules you still need to open up the machine and give and overview of the inside.

Dave, I have yet to go through that series of events; however I did plan accordingly.  The wooden mount has a bolt that sticks out of the front (it points towards the ceiling in the middle of the room, tangential to the monitor).  Over this bolt, I slide the first 2 inches or so of the flexible metal "snake-neck".  So, when the time comes (1M+), I can simply reach up and remove the entire "snake-neck" from the bolt, giving me a webcam on a stick. 

I've thought about this before; I will need to pull the cab away from the wall with the camera still mounted, unscrew the back door, then remove the camera, walk around back, move the door and turn on my cell-phone flash-light.   It should work, so long as i don't accidentally yank the webcam cord in the process.  I was thinking about getting a USB extension cable to ease my concerns... :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:42:22 am by f_symbols »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »
Here's my setup that I put together last night in about 10 minutes (I finally got tired of having the tripod somewhat in the way). I made it out of scrap wood from my dad's pile of spare construction stakes :D . I really don't care that the stakes still have dirt and concrete on them, since my DK is pretty dinged up, and down the road I will fix it up nice and new and at that same time I will probably order a nicer (similar, but with a couple hinges, for added maneuverability) type of mount from Ken House. As you can see, both pieces of wood are able to swivel quite a bit, so that helps with getting a nice shot of the the screen:

"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 04:26:03 am »
Hey guys,

After speaking to Wes when streaming the other day I thought I'd resurrect this thread as some guys seem to be struggling to find a decent way of mounting webcams to a cab etc.

I use an articulating 'arm' brought cheap from ebay with a clamp that grips to the side of the cab which has a load of adjustment and is a tidy job without having to use screws etc and thought it may help some of you guys out.

I found them in the USA at $17.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Inch-Articulating-Magic-Arm-Super-Clamp-Crab-Plier-Clip-for-Camera-DSLR-/331670728867?hash=item4d391db0a3:g:xDcAAOSw4HVWDjc8

Jonesy
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 05:36:18 am »
Jonesy is right, this is a good thread.  I struggled with several set ups and finally found something that works well for me.  I use a Arkon clamp camera mount to hold my webcam.  The camera is actually upside down (the blue tape helps keep it from vibrating as the camera has a bit of play in it) and I use x split to turn the image back upright.  The mount itself is rock solid.  My biggest issue was always vibrations and movement of the mount and camera.  This one is relatively short, very stiff, almost too difficult to position but doesn't move at all, and it's a screw clamp on the cab rather than a weak spring clamp.  So far zero issues with movement, vibration, it's not in the way or anything.  Pretty sweet.  Sorry, it's not on a DK cab, but should work with just about any game!
Tim
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer