Author Topic: A Role-Reversal Hack!  (Read 11551 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
A Role-Reversal Hack!
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:36 am »
Jumpman is Pauline, and Pauline is Jumpman!

http://imgur.com/DcAFPUE

NES version, but it could be done with the arcade tiles.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Leo

Re: A Role-Reversal Hack!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:46:42 am »

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:28:48 am »

There are so many differences on the NES version:  game sounds, hammer placement, location of the rescue platform and prizes, two umbrellas on the rivet stage, etc.  But what really caused me to perform a double take was seeing someone take the circuitous, "down low" path on the elevator stage.  Aside from being employed as a defensive maneuver, when a fireball quickly descends the ladder just before the bottom prize is collected, I can't remember the last time I've seen a player intentionally take that route.

Wait a minute, am I actually critiquing the gameplay of a 3-year-old?  Has it really come to this?!   ::)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 03:47:39 pm »

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:44 pm »
Hey Chris, I was anticipating a slightly different animation sequence upon completion of the rivet stage.

Instead, we get (courtesy of "A Clockwork Orange"):

"No time for the old in-and-out, love.  I've just come to read the meter."   8)

EDIT:  Almost nailed the movie quote word for word, but not quite.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:13:41 pm by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:49:24 am »
Why I Hacked Donkey Kong for My Daughter

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/donkey-kong-pauline-hack/

"As a gamer dad, there’s nothing better than when your child asks you to play a videogame. I remember when my son asked if I wanted to play Atari with him. It was the day after I hooked up an Atari 2600 and taught him to play Combat. It was short-lived. He likes games, but not as much as he likes trains. No matter how much I try to encourage him, he really doesn’t get into them.

Mike Mika, chief creative officer at Other Ocean Interactive, is a veteran designer who has worked on games from the Atari 2600 to the Xbox 360.
My daughter, however, jumps at the chance to play games with her old man. She’s only 3, but she’s always exhibited a keen interest in games. Recently, she took a fancy to Ron Gilbert’s new puzzle adventure game The Cave. While she prefers not to play, she insists that I do and then she bosses me around in the game. She’s confident enough, however, to play some of the older arcade games. She’s not too shabby with Pac-Man; her favorite version is Pac-Man Arrangement.

But out of all of the older games, she most enjoys playing Donkey Kong. Maybe it was because it was the first game we really played together, or the fact that she watched the King of Kong documentary with me one afternoon from start to finish. Maybe it’s because Mario looks just like her Grandpa. Whatever the case, we’ve been playing Donkey Kong together for a while. She’s not very good at it, but insists on playing it over and over again until she finally hands me the joystick in total frustration.

Finally, one day after work, she asked to play Donkey Kong, only this time she raised a pretty innocent and simple question: “How can I play as the girl? I want to save Mario!”

It made sense. We had just played Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES a few days before, and she became obsessed with playing as Princess Toadstool. So to go back to Donkey Kong, I can see how natural it seemed to ask the question. I explained to her that Donkey Kong, while similar, is not the same game. On this occasion, I really could tell that she was disappointed. She really liked Donkey Kong, and really liked playing as Princess Toadstool. We left it at that and moved on.

But that question! It kept nagging at me. Kids ask parents all the time for things that just aren’t possible. But this time, this was different. I’m a game developer by day. I could do this. The next day I talked it through with my partner in crime, Kevin Wilson. We work together on professional projects as well as hobby efforts. We recently finished making a 2600 game with author Ernie Cline for a contest centered around his book Ready Player One. Wilson is very knowledgeable about the NES, which had a similar processor to the 2600. He pointed me in the direction of a couple of tools, one of which was Tile Layer Pro.

Mario is made up of four eight- by eight-pixel tiles. So each frame of animation is created with four tiles, each having three colors from the same palette. Two nights after my daughter’s request, I was knee deep in the Donkey Kong ROM, trying to make sense of the graphics. If I was going to replace the sprites, I needed to go all in. I needed to reduce Pauline’s height – she is three tiles tall to Mario’s two, a throwback to when Donkey Kong was going to be a Popeye game. I managed to reduce her height by taking some liberty with her design. I kept the head and hair pretty much intact. But, without any sort of onion-skin animation tools, I was animating blind with only the Mario sprites as reference.

It was 12 a.m. when I started, and I was so in the zone that I had replaced most of the game’s sprites by morning. When I woke up, I finished off the sprites, then swapped the palettes. Only when I played the game, the colors of other objects were all messed up. It appeared that the colors used by Mario were shared with ladders and the pop-up scores. So I found every instance of those sprites and replaced them with the Pauline “white” color.

Finally, I replaced the “M” next to the bonus indicator with a “P” for Pauline.

As I was working, I posted my progress to Facebook. It was definitely something I knew my friends would get a kick out of. Before I was even done with the mod, my friends were getting excited, which put me into overdrive. I couldn’t really share the ROM, so I made a movie to kind of show off the changes for my friends. I basically copied my initial Facebook text to the description and just let it ride.

Oblivious to the kind of attention it started to get, I turned my attention to the reason behind all of this in the first place: My daughter. Just like clockwork, she woke up and sat on my lap asking to play Donkey Kong. Only this time, she could play as Pauline. She was excited! But for all she knew, I just figured out how to get Pauline to work. And that was fine. I wasn’t expecting it to change her life. We played for a bit. And some more. And again later. You know what? She really did seem to enjoy the game more. For whatever reason, she was more motivated to play as Pauline than as Mario. I can’t read into that too much, because it does feel a bit like a new game to her still. So we’ll see how she does after a week with it.

Meanwhile, a couple of my friends decided to tweet about it and post some of the work-in-progress to Reddit. By the time I started to catch up with all my social feeds, something insane had happened. This little mod exploded. I didn’t follow the whole Tropes vs. Women thing, but I saw a lot of references to it. In my wildest dreams, I just expected a bunch of fellow coders to chat about the merits of the mod. I never expected it to ignite a gender-role debate.

The comments under the YouTube video can, at times, be just as horrific as they are encouraging. While some of the things people have said about my daughter are almost comically inappropriate, they are still downright disturbing. One person wished her “dead” because “it would do the world a favor and be one less feminist in our future.”

My kids are awesome. They are too young to understand any of the things people are saying. And after all, it’s the internet. It comes with the territory. It got me thinking about Metroid. If the internet was more prevalent back when thousands of boys discovered that, all along, they were playing as a woman, maybe Nintendo would have gotten just as much hate mail?

Having kids is incredible. And having a daughter is something special. I get the opportunity to see the world through her eyes. And if this experience has taught me anything, it’s that the world could be just a bit more accommodating. And that if something as innocuous as having Mario be saved by Pauline brings out the crazy, maybe we aren’t as mature in our view of gender roles as we should be.

I didn’t set out to push a feminist agenda, or try to make a statement. I just wanted to keep that little grin lit up on my daughter’s face every time we sit down to play games together.
"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:51:25 am by marky_d »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:43:55 pm »
Weird.

I understand the angle/appeal of the story, but it's not like it's THAT big of a deal...

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 01:47:39 pm »
Now we're talking...

The "naked" version of DK seems to defy the laws of physics.  The massive horizontal shift in center of gravity, while the "hammer" is active, would likely cause Mario to fall flat on his face.  At the very least, I would expect him to involuntarily lean forward, semi-standing on the girder in a stable "tripod" configuration.

Ok, it's time to start contemplating something else.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 02:44:46 pm »
Nah. For those of us afflicted with that problem, we learn to get by.

ThomasTHC

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 02:50:38 pm »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 04:48:38 pm »
I know this is an April Fools joke, but I would literally buy this someday for my wife and/or future daughters. I think when the time comes I will try to make one of these.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 04:20:01 pm »
An arcade version of this to be available soon?

http://www.multigame.com/dkp_arcade.html
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 05:58:58 pm »
I say we call it "The Pauline Machine!".
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 06:03:41 pm »
I say we call it "The Pauline Machine!".

Richie may have another project on his hands for KO3?