Author Topic: Mario Bros. Online Open #3 October 1st-5th...  (Read 5963 times)

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
Mario Bros. Online Open #3 October 1st-5th...
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:31:42 pm »
The link to register is below this message. I am asking Jace to have TG simulcast a stream alongside the forum here hopefully. Lets get some participation and have fun with this people! Cheers...

http://wiki.donkeykonggenius.com/Mario_Bros
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Mario Bros. Online Open #3 October 1st-5th...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 04:02:09 pm »
REMINDER!!!... The Mario Bros. Online Open is upon us. Here are the start and end times for it. Cabinet or MAME is fine. Medium on the dips and with POW...Start Time: Thursday October 1st, 2015 6:00 PM Pacific Time (6 pm start to accommodate east coast players)
End Time: Monday October 5th, 2015 9:00 PM Pacific time. Much like the last DKO, the top 4 scores will then square off against each other in a 1 credit game, streamed at the same time, and then the top 2 from there, when it's convenient for the final 2 to both stream at the same time. Announcement will be made. Good luck everyone and there is still time to register for those who are interested!!!...
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 05:52:05 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks to Steve for this event.

Believe it or not, it was actually a pretty major deal for me. Not because I got a big score at this game, but because, after several years of not really understanding the appeal of Mario Bros., I finally (finally) "get it."

This was a game that I never liked, and it boiled down to the controls: I thought they were clunky and frustrating. On Friday night I was complaining in the shoutbox about how annoying it was that I just couldn't ever seem to get or keep Mario where I wanted him to go. But I know from a lot of CAG experience that even games that you dislike can open up to you with a little pushing, so I pushed.

I played for about an hour and a half on Saturday (my first session for the tourney, 28 coins), and by the end of that, something had clicked.

On Sunday I streamed more attempts and ended with a new PB of 113K. It took me 26 coins, but the game was starting to sink some hooks into me. I love hitting that point with a game.

Anyway, I'm getting the hang of this now, and I'm starting to see that the controls are actually part of what the game is about, which is mastering inertia and finding/exploiting the best positions on the board (sorta like Joust or Asteroids). Yeah it makes more sense for an ostrich or a spaceship to be hard to control, and it defies reality that a (sober) person would be slipping around so much, but I just have to remind myself to not think of this in "real life" terms. ;D

I found myself watching some videos (which I try to avoid when I'm first learning a game so that I can discover things for myself), learned a lot, and was actually grinding at it pretty hard the last night. Now the game is "pulling at me" and my PB is up to 163K, and I know how to get through the invisible-platform coin boards.

So I'll definitely be around for the next one of these. :)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:09:19 am »
Thanks for sharing Chris!! And I am happy to read about you rediscovering this awesome game that is right up there with DK IMHO. Thanks again to everyone that participated and the latest news is as follows....

Show up to witness the showdown this Sunday Night, October 11th 8 p.m. EST. Andrew Barrow versus me in a one credit drop game of Mario Bros!! The winner moves on to the finals to compete against either Stephen Boyer or Perry Rodgers. Me and Andrew will be streaming our games at the same time and you can catch it on our Twitch pages, donkeykongforum.net or here.....http://www.donkeykonggenius.com/DKG-Streaming/Tournament/ Onguard!!
P.S.> UPDATE:The Stephen Boyer vs. Perry Rodgers match will take place Friday, October 16th at 7 PM EST! You can catch their match at the same links posted for the first semifinal match this Sunday Night!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:02:02 pm by maximumsteve »

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 03:31:20 pm »
http://www.multitwitch.tv/barranz/maximumsteve Mario Bros. Semi Final showdown! 8 pm EST

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:41:19 pm »
Show up for the showdown this Friday Night, October 16th as legendary gamers Perry Rodgers and Stephen Boyer do battle on Mario Bros. for the right to play me in the Finals. Should be a good matchup between the former world record holder and current MAME WR holder for Mario Bros. Check it out....http://wiki.donkeykonggenius.com/Mario_Bros

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 02:46:42 am »
Mario Bros.
Perry Rodgers vs. Stephen Boyer - Friday, October 16th at 7pm EST LIVE!!