Author Topic: Do you ever feel you're a lot better than your high score indicates?  (Read 12768 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
That is about how I feel right now.  My 347,300 score is not where I am at.  I really believe I am now closer to a 500,000 point player.  I just have had an extremely bad run of luck when I get deep into the game.  For instance getting to Level 5 now without a single death is not a big deal.  I have done that on numerous occasions.  Heck getting to Level 7 with 3 men left is starting to become a frequent occurrence.  But then eventually it happens.  Either the spring level gives me 6 or 7 straight springs that are not of the short variety, or the Rivet level will completely overwhelm the left side of the screen with fireballs, or the Pie Factory will not only not allow a free pass but somehow jam me up even while waiting on the bottom.  Or the Barrel stage gives me an insane combination of barrels that all my steering still can not overcome.   I am left thinking in situations like these "How is this possible?"  How can a game go against the odds so much as to kill me goes beyond my levels of comprehension.   I am now having games where I think, there is almost nobody alive that could overcome this viciousness the game is spewing out at me.   I feel like getting a lottery ticket because maybe that will even out my horrendous luck with this game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:47:14 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

Re: Do you ever feel you're a lot better than your high score indicates?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:46:17 am »
I've always felt a better indication of how good you are is your average score, not your high score.  Try playing say 10 consecutive games... no restarts... and see what your average is.

Fast Eddie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:21:05 am »
lol, welcome to donkey kong homer...

8)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:17:33 am »
Phil Tudose and Ross and probably the 2 people that their high scores is definitely not as high as what they are capable of.

Personally, people think that a 1,135,900 is a very good high score, but personally, I know I'm better than this score. I've personally come to a point where anything below 1.15m is nothing that good (for an experienced player, obviously!). A 1.15m pace should be achievable on every single game, even with the worst randomness ever, when you point press well.  1,135,900, in my opinion, is the results of way too much wasted points, and I know I can do better than that.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:35:38 am »
Honestly, George, you are at the level of play in DK where the game will feel exactly like all your deaths are un-survivable screwings. I remember when my best was 370K, I thought I was playing perfectly, but despite all I could do that all 4 of my deaths were always unavoidable. However, I guarantee you, as your knowledge of the game and comfortability with tough situations increases, you will find that actually 2-3 of your deaths are very likely avoidable! I know it seems crazy, but keep at it, and eventually many of these 'insurmountable' situations you will learn to overcome. :)

P.s. For experts, many deaths are ultimately caused by either rushing or not thinking ahead (which are kinda the same thing) -not simply not reacting properly or quickly enough. For each death, always check to see if your *method* for the particular screen could have been the problem. Maybe there was a crucial barrel you could have steered, or a better route for the rivets or conveyors that would have made it a lot easier.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:09:19 pm »
The more you play, the more you'll be better at calculating probabilities on survival vs. death when there are screwing. When you start playing, you don't calculate probabilities very accurately, and that's why you often think some deaths were unavoidable. It's all about  being efficient at seeing the probabilities of survival/death of each action, to each situation.

Like Mitch said, out of 4 deaths, once you will be very good at recognizing good probabilities versus bad probabilities, 3 deaths out of 4 will be avoidable.

Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »
I've always felt a better indication of how good you are is your average score, not your high score.  Try playing say 10 consecutive games... no restarts... and see what your average is.

That's the thing.  I played 25 consecutive games in 3 different periods of time, and this is where I get that my score should be higher.

Remember this thread you posted in?  https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=86.0

First time out I passed 393 boards, and now last time out I pass 598 boards.   That is over a 52 percent increase, and yet despite getting a 301,800 score the first time doing this calculation, my score has not increased 52 percent.  It's increased 15 percent over 301,800.  A 52 percent increase from that score would be 458,700.  That did not happen.

The reason being is the game has literally screwed me over for my skill level.  I think I will stream in a bit, and you will all see how the game literally is screwing me over if I am my usual unlucky self.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:33:21 pm »
Yeah, if you are almost at 350k, it is definitely time to start streaming! Kind, honest peer-critique is always very helpful for improving!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 03:40:38 pm »
OK, and a live is what I am doing until  9:15 P.M. Eastern time 6:15 P.M.  Pacific time!

http://www.justin.tv/dk3champ

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:17 pm »
OK, give me my peer review! ;D  As you can see this game is making me exasperated.   Sometimes I really believe that this game has it out for me.  Eventually though a game is going to really go my way, and I am going to score big time! 8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:45:35 pm »
It is most definitely possible to "run bad" in Donkey Kong. For example, I go through periods of dozens of games where I'll get a free pass on conveyors maybe 1 time in 15, and the rest will just be agonizing. Then I'll snap out of it and have mild conveyors for a while. Rivets can be streaky too, as can a rash of climby fireballs on barrel screens. It all comes and goes.

Having said that, Mitch is right about the game, mixed with your brain, being extremely prone to spinning the illusion of bad luck, especially for those who haven't gotten it dialed yet. We all went through this and, when looking at our games in retrospect, can see that we weren't actually as unlucky as we thought. We just didn't know what we didn't know! Then you gotta factor in selective memory, etc.

The truth is somewhere between the two - it's almost always less bad luck than you think, but more bad luck than anyone else will give you credit for. ;)

As for the question of this thread, I feel that, due to the inevitability and regularity of totally no-fault deaths, and the fact that everyone has momentary little boneheaded brainfart screwups that they simply can't 100% prevent, just about *everyone* is better than their high score indicates when it comes to pure skill. And it becomes even more true the higher your pace. (Higher pace = more randomness.)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 09:51:13 pm »
And sometime, luck/bad luck can play a huge influence on your amount of deaths.

Like personally, for example, if I played a conveyer screen perfectly, I can still end up dying without being able to do anything.

And Allen could play the SAME exact conveyer, and finish the level without dying, because of the luck factor (since he did some stupid/risky moves, but he got lucky)  ;).

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 03:53:24 am »
I think I figured it out.  My problem is this.  I get into a rhythm, and eventually the game will kill me where there is nothing I can do about it.  At those moments I lose my cool, and it's much easier for me to die.   I need to take the uncontrollable deaths more in stride, and remain focused. 

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 07:54:46 am »

It's "How High Can You Get?", not "What's your average?".  Get high.

Leo

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 09:47:39 pm »
Taken from another forum...

'The Poker Mindset' that there are 4 levels of thinking.

Level 1 = Anger. Player is unable to control emotions and experiences anger and tilt when losing pot/s. Causes them to play worse trying to win their chips back.

Level 2 = Frustration. Frustrated players understand the realities of poker, they just haven't accepted them yet. They will often think about the "if onlys" of the hand.

Level 3 - Acceptance. Player understand that the game contains a lot of short-term luck. They will still be pleased when they win a big pot and displeased when they lose one. They have just learned to put short-term results in perspective and concentrate on what is important.

Level 4 - Indifference. Player is focused ONLY on making correct decisions. They seperate themselves from the money that they are playing for and use their thoughts to be considering what can be learned from the hand and reading their opponents for tells.

I believe this applies to DK as well. Ask yourself what category Vince, Hank and Saglio are in.. then ask yourself what category you are in.