Author Topic: What Took You So Long?  (Read 30513 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: What Took You So Long?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:44 pm »
Haha, Scott, I can't believe you actually tried to replicate it! Not only have I only ever tried that maneuver once, I've only ever had one opportunity to even need to use it. I remember doing in one of my last serious mame games I ever did, and I think during the time I was quite into dodging fireballs by standing as much over an edge as I could and simply jumping when they approached (I often trapped myself on the side conveyor platforms, you see... :P ). I'm not sure what percentage of the time the ledge-avoidance-technique (LAT, another acronym???) works, but I think it may be better than simply trying to jump the fireball. We'll have to see what Dean thinks, since he seems to have a deeper knowledge than I do about the distances that fireballs need to travel before they turn around. As far as that specific example on the rivets, you may be right in that it takes 'PPP'.

Chris, kind off topic, but talking about the Rivet screen: I think I've realized a 'how to proceed with things if the star pattern fails' situation that I've seen a lot of people do incorrectly. This might start a debate, but, in the rare case that a fireball blocks you off from getting the very bottom left rivet, I think it is actually best to just skip it and continue on and get the top left two rivets. I've seen several people try to dance around and get delayed trying to get this rivet, only to then get delayed further trying to get the top two rivets or even the hammer on the way back down. The main reason I think it is generally best to just continue on, is because the bottom left rivet is significantly easier to just grab later than, say, if you were to skip any of the other 3 left-rivets: simply draw all the fireballs up to the top (later, when they are trapped on the left), then outrun them to the bottom. What do people think?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 08:26:48 am »

There were several things in both DK and D2K that made me facepalm when I finally got around to noticing them.

This thread is about those things.

Hey Chris, I had actually been planning to initiate a similar topic, something along the lines of "DK strategies and techniques that you acquired by watching other players, or by reading it somewhere" versus "Stuff that you figured out entirely on your own".  I would have posted it already, but there were a couple of stumbling blocks:
  • Separating the totality of my DK knowledge into one of those categories (it's a short list, so that's the easier part)
  • Condensing the subject line into a more concise description that still gets the message across (a bit more tricky)
You've addressed the second issue for me.  As soon as I take care of the first item, I'll attach the results somewhere in this thread (with your approval).   :)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:20 am »
It took me about a month of playing before I realized you had to retreat on elevators.  I actually got all the way up to 640K without ever retreating and not a single elevator death in that game (I still have that .inp and reviewed it).  Obviously it was very lucky.

My breakthrough moment--  I was (re)watching King of Kong and heard Wiebe say:

"And the secret to the third elevators is knowing which spring to go on, and then knowing which spring to move up the ladder on, and recognizing when you must retreat."

Lightbulbs went off in my head.  Somehow I had missed the retreat part the first 9 times I watched KoK.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:37 am »
It took me about a month of playing before I realized you had to retreat on elevators.  I actually got all the way up to 640K without ever retreating and not a single elevator death in that game (I still have that .inp and reviewed it).  Obviously it was very lucky.

My breakthrough moment--  I was (re)watching King of Kong and heard Wiebe say:

"And the secret to the third elevators is knowing which spring to go on, and then knowing which spring to move up the ladder on, and recognizing when you must retreat."

Lightbulbs went off in my head.  Somehow I had missed the retreat part the first 9 times I watched KoK.

When my brother and I were playing DK every weekend in the 80's, we only knew that when a spring came out as what appeared to be moving faster it was usually bad.  We both managed to get 500k in the same 2p game once back in 1989 or 1990 certainly without the DK knowledge of springs that we know now.  Very lucky as well. 
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 10:33:12 am »
It took me 9 months (from when I started playing to when I reached my first kill screen) to start taking the bottom hammer on the conveyer.

On my first two kill screen games, I NEVER took the bottom hammer. Back in the day, I thought it was less risky, to stay on the first platform (when a lot of fireballs were chasing you), and wait for them to go away to finish the level (instead of taking the bottom hammer, smash them, and climb up). In fact, obviously, in term of points, it's by far better to take the bottom hammer when you don't have a free path (and when you have the time to take the bottom hammer). But in term of survival, waiting on the first platform for the fireballs to go away wasn't that much riskier than taking the bottom hammer, in my opinion! But I often ended with 3k points on conveyer.

And it took Phil Tudose 1 year and a half to realize that there are more than one level in the game. Must've been a shock for him.
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Jeffw

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 10:52:55 am »
When I got my first killscreen I didn't even know that you could get triple 100 pts from the same barrel on the same platform.

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 11:18:38 am »
When I got my first killscreen I didn't even know that you could get triple 100 pts from the same barrel on the same platform.

How the hell did you manage to reach a kill screen without even knowing that?! You were lucky!... haha.

Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 11:19:50 pm »
Going back to the rivets the thing I'm trying to perfect is unplugging a rivet by walking halfway on it then turning 180 without going tothe other side. Why would you need this some will ask. Well I use it incase I have only a split second to get the rivet before the firefox is there and running completely over then jumping back over isn't an option. It has saved my butt a few times but I've also miss judged it and run too far and turn back into an empty rivet and die. I hope people k ow what I'm talking about. Lol.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 11:22:45 pm »
Oh and the turning under a ladder as a barrel is coming down on you  as you turn the hammer goes to the top swing. I thought that was cool for the barrel stage.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 12:24:50 am »
Bliss, removing the rivet without going all the way across it is actually also a very advanced strategy for gaining more points on the rivet screen. If you can do this while wielding the top hammer, it can significantly decrease the risk of getting blocked off from the last top-right rivet by any fireballs that spawn on the right if you choose to go even more all-out at hammering fireballs on the left side. It is only really aptly usable in a small subset of situations though, I imagine.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 03:00:42 am »
a video that features a few tricks that some may still not know about.  I put this together back in 2008 so it's a bit outdated.  There are a million more tricks and tactics to feature so maybe someday I will throw together "Goofing About #2".

That was awesome, thanks for sharing that.  I'll be sure not to try anything I just saw this weekend lol
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 06:52:53 am »
Oh and the turning under a ladder as a barrel is coming down on you  as you turn the hammer goes to the top swing. I thought that was cool for the barrel stage.

I'm sure I've missed out on a few hammer smashes by not executing that move when I've had the opportunity.  To be honest, although I've done it successfully many times, it still frightens me.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 07:24:53 am »
Me too Stella. When donkey kong drops a bomb on me I use it too. It's a timing thing with that.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 07:43:03 am »
Me too Stella. When donkey kong drops a bomb on me I use it too. It's a timing thing with that.

When he drops the bomb, please tell me you're on the 5th girder, and not the 2nd.

Performing an overhead smash on a bomb with the bottom hammer would be very impressive!

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 07:55:00 am »

I'm sure I've missed out on a few hammer smashes by not executing that move when I've had the opportunity.  To be honest, although I've done it successfully many times, it still frightens me.

Doing that move can be risky if you go under the ladder, can't smash the barrel and don't have enough time to get away from the barrel before it hits you!

Personally, each time I smash a barrel going down a ladder, I assure myself that I will have the time to get away from the ladder if I'm not able to smash it while in midair. 25% of the time, I fail at smashing it, so I just move away from the ladder, then turn back and smash it when the barrel reaches the platform.

When you go directly under the barrel when the barrel is slightly over your head and you miss to smash it, then good chances are you will die!