Author Topic: Mame Differences - Need advice!  (Read 5553 times)

Offline diskborste

• Awards
Mame Differences - Need advice!
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:54:28 am »
I'm extremely ambivalent about which Mame version to use when playing DK. Both versions (106 and 164) has its pros and cons, so I was hoping that you could shed some light and lead me in the right direction.

Graphics:
The most obvious difference is the descrepancy in graphics. 106 have stronger colors, especially on the barrel board with its distinct red platforms. Picture to illustrate:

106: http://postimg.org/image/6m3oz157d/
164: http://postimg.org/image/lkmwwiyrf/

Verdict: Tie

Movements
As some other users have described in earlier threads, there seems to be some kind of subtle delay in 164. I think this is more of a "getting used to" rather than being a negative aspect, but from my own experience, its easier to play safe and run boards with 164, but on the other hand its easier to be flexible and gain 10K+ when pointpressing level 1-1. I recently switched from 164 to 106, so my ambition is that I get fully accustomed to the dynamics of 164 in order to maximize points while still maintaining the feeling of safety and control from 106 version.

Verdict: 106

Processor Power / Memory
It would appear that 106 uses about 50MB of RAM while using 26% of my CPU power. The reverse relationship is true for 164 version, which use about 70MB of RAM and 9% CPU. This is not really relevant in my decision, but I thought I put it out there for the sake of comparison.

Verdict: 164

Screen
As you can see in the aforementioned pictures, the available screen size in windowed mode is superior in 106 because the top Windows border has been eliminated. This really makes the screen feel bigger because I play on a 13 inch laptop and I need all the screen I can get!

Sounds
This is basically the one big drawback when it comes to 106. The sounds, especially the "points-awarded-sound", are atrocious, and it feels like someone is jamming a screwdriver inside my head everytime I leech Donkey Kong. Perhaps it is possible to modify the versions so the 106 version use the 164 sounds? I downloaded the DK sound samples, but there are other internal sounds (see above) that bugs me.

Verdict: 164

Pauline
The oh-so practical application only works with 106 so the winner in this category is self-explanatory.

So, what do you think? Will I get used to the sounds of 106? I browsed through the highscore list and there are plently of MAME players who play 106 and plenty of other who use newer versions.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:57:55 am by diskborste »
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Mame Differences - Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 10:47:55 am »
I think Xelnia messed around with changing some of the sounds from the dk rom for 106 a year or 2 back, but I think some of the sounds were not accessible .. cant remember if the point award sound was one that could be edited or not but if so you could probably use the better sounds in 106

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 11:18:40 am »
I'm not familiar with version 164 so I'm not sure how true the analysis under "movement" is, but if there is even ONE frame of delay, that would INSTANTLY seal my decision to avoid playing the game using that version.  This is by far the number one factor.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 11:48:41 am »
I recently made the switch to 107 from 164 to get pauline working and my very first impression were, that 107 felt a tiny bit slower and therefore I also felt that it had a slower reaction time than what I was used to. I didnt thought more about - but just now I made a side by side comparison and 164 are indeed running a tiny bit faster - at least on my computer.
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:38:44 pm »
164 is fine. Thats what I used recently for my PB
Some of the folk at MARP mentioned that older versions actually have more input lag than newer ones
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Submit a score for every DK3 track Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline diskborste

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:50:55 pm »
Weird, because it feels like 106 has less input lag  <Tim>
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 01:10:38 pm »
VSync was corrected to 60.606061 Hz in version 0.116. Anything older runs at 60 Hz (and therefore slower).
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 01:37:12 pm »
Ok - but any wolfmame version are accepted in the highscore list right?
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 01:37:22 pm »
VSync was corrected to 60.606061 Hz in version 0.116. Anything older runs at 60 Hz (and therefore slower).

Kreygasm

how does he know
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer