Author Topic: Ladder matching  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Rolledcigs

• Awards
Ladder matching
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:05:09 am »
I think we could re-live some of the excitement from the KO4 by having head to head matches where each player streams their game. We could do a lot with this idea. We could have a season and a playoffs. Just another way to add excitement and fun to this hobby. Would be good training for everyone (assuming the KO will have brackets again). And add a new competitive element to the scene and possibly offer an incentive to stay in shape during the off season. Seems like it could be really good. What do you guys think?
Member for 9 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

DadsGlasses

Re: Ladder matching
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 10:23:01 am »
As a new player, I can say that I would enjoy watching this sort of thing as a learning tool.

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:27:03 am »
Yer, lets do it.  Sounds like a good way to get some more consistancy  <Wiebe>
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline andrewg

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:36:26 am »
I like this idea
There's a Kill Screen Coming Up!
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 11:58:55 am »
This is actually a very interesting suggestion.  I am not sure that very many people within this community are familiar with the concept of "Ladder matches", and may be confusing the term "Ladder" with the physical ladders that exist in the game.

I had some experience with this in another online gaming community a long time ago and it was pretty successful for a short while.  There were even special websites at the time set up for managing the matches, inputting the results, automatically adjusting the ladder rankings, etc.  It's been a while, but I assume such things still exist.

My very vague recollection of how this works is that all of the players are ranked from 1st to whatever.  Then, a player can challenge another player who is within a few rungs of them on the ladder and that player would be forced to accept the challenge.  If the lower ranked player wins the match, he moves up a few notches on the ladder and the other player would move down a few notches on the ladder according to some set formula.

By far the biggest challenge with something like this is player availability and willingness to try to coordinate their schedules for the simultaneous start.  It could be that we'd need a 2 - 4 week window for a player to agree to play once challenged since real life can easily force us away from the hobby for weeks at a time.  All sorts of forfeiting and match avoidance rules would need to be hashed out, etc.  Like I said before though, I think there are relatively "standard" ways that all of these issues are handled as set up by one of these websites who specializes in this sort of thing.

If the OP can post a link to such a website or to more detailed information about how this works I think that would be helpful to people.  If I can come across the information that I am thinking of, I will post a link in this thread as well.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 12:11:18 pm »
WaBAAAAM!  Found it:

http://www.myleague.com/

The site that I was thinking of for managing ladder based leagues is called Case's Ladder and still seems to be alive and well.  Do some poking around in there and see what you think.

So, if there is enough interest, this would probably require someone (probably not me) to spearhead the initial setup / admin efforts to get things set up and running at the site.  I would kind of like to see this happen, I think it would be interesting and fun for the community.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline andrewg

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:51:26 am »
challonge.com is one that I've seen both speedrunners and competitive smash bros players use. That is, if I'm understanding the suggestion.

I've participated in a few speedrun events and it works out pretty well. And it's not necessarily like everyone has to play at the same time or anything. For DK, I don't know the best way to structure it.

I mean, you could just say "put up one score for this," but I feel like DK works better if there's some sort of time limit. Maybe something like "average score of 3 attempts" could work?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:57:14 am by andrewg »
There's a Kill Screen Coming Up!
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline MJMeerman

• Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 07:37:45 am »
challonge.com is one that I've seen both speedrunners and competitive smash bros players use. That is, if I'm understanding the suggestion.

I've participated in a few speedrun events and it works out pretty well. And it's not necessarily like everyone has to play at the same time or anything. For DK, I don't know the best way to structure it.

I mean, you could just say "put up one score for this," but I feel like DK works better if there's some sort of time limit. Maybe something like "average score of 3 attempts" could work?

Challonge would definitely be the best way to do this, if we're doing a bracket. That's how I set up the Kong Off bracket, which would've had no issues if Richie knew how bracket logic works.

If we're doing a ladder, I'm not sure how you'd go about it.

I'd think that the best ways to do matches would be:

• Taking an average of the scores (two or three games)
  • Take the best score (two or three games)
  • Take the average of the two best scores (three games)
  • Do a best of three series (compare scores after each game, winner gets a point, first to two wins)

If you get more than three games it becomes very difficult to make it run quickly.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:39:16 am by MJMeerman »
DK Scores:
Arcade: 396,700 [L11] (6/29/2018)
MAME: 483,300 [L13-4] (9/23/2021)
Start: 111,000 (11/30/2020)
L1-1: 9,700 (4/29/2014)

Crazy Kong: 581,500 [L22-1 KS] (01/31/2021)
Donkey Kong Jr.: 172,400 [L5-4] (12/23/2020)
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer